Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Going to Indonesia for work!

What's Hot

Just found out I'm being sent to Java to work with the CITES on illegal trade in shark fins in November. How cool is that. Luckilly is a long way away from the earthquake zone - i didnt realise how big indonesia was.

I went to Bali in 2006 and loved it so really looking forward to this. Couple of downsides. Its the rainy seson now and we fly via Hong Kong which is on my bucket list but i bet i wont even make it out of the airport.

Anyone been to Jakarta - any good guitar shops!! or bars.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257
    Wow that is sterling work mate! Hong Kong is brill hope you get to go
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Yup, you'll be there during the wet season- bring an umbrella.
    But the rain is usually just for a few hours- it is raining here (Singapore) now (plus a massive thunder/lightening store) but this morning it was sunny. It will probably be clear again in an hour or so.

Can't help on guitar shops but I've found that any tax saving is usually offset by a higher retail price.

How long will you be there?
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    I worked in Jakarta for a year and a half in the early 1980s. Given the phenomenal growth rate of the city I doubt that very much I remember about it is true today - except that it is very crowded, hot and humid most of the time, and will deliver the most astonishingly violent downpours at regular intervals: I doubt that those have changed!

Street food was amazing. My favourite was martabak, a kind of stuffed crepe cooked on a hotplate. Definitely try that.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I worked in Jakarta for a year and a half in the early 1980s. Given the phenomenal growth rate of the city I doubt that very much I remember about it is true today - except that it is very crowded, hot and humid most of the time, and will deliver the most astonishingly violent downpours at regular intervals: I doubt that those have changed!

Street food was amazing. My favourite was martabak, a kind of stuffed crepe cooked on a hotplate. Definitely try that.
    We have Murtabak here too.
    It is dangerously delicious.
    Get the mutton one.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671

any excuse to play this :)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16012
    Java..........very Phileas Fogg ..........Java and Sumatra are fantastic
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited October 2018
    Went to Jakarta for work visits quite a few times when based in Singapore - I liked it, but lots don't!
    If you can get time off, go and see Borobodur, and Mt Bromo for a proper volcano hike, and the rice fields in the centre of Java - they're like what Bali must have been 80 years ago.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    ICBM said:
    Ah, that staple of daytime TV when I was bunking off school in the 70s. And it's west of Java anyway, amusingly enough. 
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 452

Just found out I'm being sent to Java to work with the CITES on illegal trade in shark fins in November. How cool is that. Luckilly is a long way away from the earthquake zone - i didnt realise how big indonesia was.

I went to Bali in 2006 and loved it so really looking forward to this. Couple of downsides. Its the rainy seson now and we fly via Hong Kong which is on my bucket list but i bet i wont even make it out of the airport.

Anyone been to Jakarta - any good guitar shops!! or bars.

It's an awful city to get around in and the smog limits the views considerably. There is also a stark transition from rich to poor (high skyscrapers with shanty towns 50m away).

I enjoyed the curry and beer in Eastern Promise, beers in Aphrodite and coffee etc in Cafe Batavia. 

If you can travel, Jakarta and Bali (the Aussie Magaluf) are just the stepping off points. There is much better to be had!
  • Today's the day

Sat in T3 waiting for my colleague

Was excited now really don't want to go. Having found more out about the project I'll be heading up for next 3 years I have decided I am properly out of my depth. 

Ah well, best get another vodka and cranberry

Yes - I've also fallen off the wagon
  • Out of your depth happen to all of us

its sink or swim time lol
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Good luck.  When eating in Jakarta, I could never get used to the local desire to get the pavement table nearest the road.  And if you intend to drive, you will need the best of luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    edited November 2018
    You'll be fine, Mr T - best of luck!

• Dubai now - hell of a run to the gate for my connection
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Dubai now - hell of a run to the gate for my connection
    Cor you jet setter you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811
    Wait, you said you fly via HK, there is going to be 2 connections in this flight?

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • At hotel in Jakarta now - classy joint and no mistake

'kin ell it's hot
  • Dubai now - hell of a run to the gate for my connection
    *Waves*

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires