The Eurorack/Modular Thread.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Blimey - just watched the two Maths videos - I know what it does but not sure how you remember it all!
    I'm DIY so my Maths equivalent is a DUSG (which is what they copied) .. but I've still not finished it.That's the trouble with DIY.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    I've got the top one to fill first.
    Once that happens I'll buy another base and start building another tower.
    What modules are you getting next ?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    cpcompany said:
    octatonic said:
    I've got the top one to fill first.
    Once that happens I'll buy another base and start building another tower.
    What modules are you getting next ?
    Intelligel Azimuth II (tomorrow) & Metropolis, Erica drum modules, Tiptop Circadian & Z-DSP, another Maths and Rings.
    I am really loving this rig:

https://youtu.be/P0qN2t_9fbQ
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreddieVanHalenFreddieVanHalen Frets: 954
    edited November 2018
    I don't have a lot of space in my place at the moment - has anyone tried Softube Modular?

I wondered if it would be a good way to learn to use all this stuff without having to splash on all the physical kit at the start.

Spectacular effort btw @octatonic I dread to think how many hours could be spent geeking out with that rig!
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    I don't have a lot of space in my place at the moment - has anyone tried Softube Modular?

I wondered if it would be a good way to learn to use all this stuff without having to splash on all the physical kit at the start.

Spectacular effort btw @octatonic I dread to think how many hours could be spent geeking out with that rig!
    Softube Modular is ok.
    Arturia is worth checking out too.
    I have both and use them rarely.

The problem is how you interact with a plugin isn't the same as physically patching a bunch of modules.
    Even if they nail the sound, they don't nail the workflow.

I have a bunch more modules on their way- put in a new desk specifically for the modular which is next to my Arturia Matrixbrute, so I can use that to trigger the modules.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    Why do I keep finding myself staring down this rabbit hole?
  • Thanks Octa - I’ll have a look at Arturia too. 

I’d love to go with the physical modules but just can’t afford right now. 

I can imagine that buying Softube modules could also add up though, so maybe a better way of getting started would be with a smaller number of physical modules and find ways to integrate them with Ableton and Max?

Perhaps that is really going down the rabbit hole though!
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    m_c said:
    The shiny shiny...
    octatonic said:
    m_c said:
    The shiny shiny...
    mmm...so say a complete beginner was interested in knowing more about racks/modules and where to begin, would you have any suggestions?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Are you really Eno in disguise ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    m_c said:
    octatonic said:
    m_c said:
    The shiny shiny...
    mmm...so say a complete beginner was interested in knowing more about racks/modules and where to begin, would you have any suggestions?
    Tricky to say without knowing what you want to achieve with one.

I wouldn't suggest getting involved with modular unless you are having needs unmet by traditional synthesisers unless you are wanting to just do it and see what happens.
    If this is ok, and you have the cash then you could just buy a bunch of modules and see how it goes.
    I'd suggest an oscillator to two, at least one filter, 2-3 VCA's, a couple of modules that can act as LOF's, some sort of envelope, an S/H, a noise unit and something to trigger- either a sequencer or some sort of controller that outputs CV.
    You also need a bunch of mults and I'd suggest using something that can act as a clock divider/multiplier.
    This is before you start liking at anything that can sample, or do delay lines, or reverb.

A very basic system would be £500-700 and something vaguely capable would be £2k minimum.

I started with mostly AJH modules + Maths and then quickly started adding the Mutable Instruments modules.
    I basically wanted a Moog type sound that could do some generative type sounds.
    I'm mostly interested in complex oscillators and over time I've wanted to get more into the Buchla thing (hence more Make Noise modules).
    It is a huge investment of time and money though- if you can get the sounds you need from either plugins or a traditional synth then it might be less work and expense.

There are some very real downsides- they are inefficient in terms of time and space- also of course the financial side.
    There is no patch memory and the more analogue circuitry you have the less likely you are to come back to it an hour later and hear the same noise.
    That is also the beauty of it.
    I've found it really rewarding, but at times frustrating.

One thing I've done a lot of is recording the patch creation from an unpatched modular through to designing the sound fully.
    It means I now have quite a lot of raw audio that I need to edit down to something I can load into one of the samplers.
    I also have to keep a lot of notes- patching X to Y, rough knob positions and process information.

When I go to one of my traditional hardware synths it feels vaguely like cheating but it is nice to not have to spend 10-40 getting any sort of useful noise out of it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the reply @octatonic ;
    It would be more a try it and see what happens, but I should really be saving money for other things just now.

I shall however keep staring down the rabbit hole!
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150

I would check out VCV Rack - it's free (although there are paid for modules if you want) and pretty good, I expect it to be even better once it gets out of Beta!
  • Quick question - can you use one of these in isolation? Does it just need a power supply? It's for one I've seen that's an FX pedal in this format, a Mantic Flex. Thinking of using with guitar. Thanks
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Quick question - can you use one of these in isolation? Does it just need a power supply? It's for one I've seen that's an FX pedal in this format, a Mantic Flex. Thinking of using with guitar. Thanks
    Sort of. 
    In theory you could just get a bunch of 1/4” to 1/8” cables made up to run your guitar through the modular as all the modules need is power.

In reality you have to consider gainstaging and operating level.
    A normal line level signal is around 1-2 volts, peak to peak. 

Eurorack is abut 10Vpp so you will have to significantly attenuate a modular level signal and you will have to boost a line level signal to get it to modular level.
    You a,so have to consider where in the chain to put it.
    If you are using passive pickups the signal might be 0.2Vpp, so even a lot below life level, let alone modular.

So putting your modular at the start of a guitar chain would need a significant boost and then be attenuated.
    Fortunately a bunch of IO interface modules exist such as this : https://intellijel.com/shop/eurorack/audio-io/

• octatonic said:
    Quick question - can you use one of these in isolation? Does it just need a power supply? It's for one I've seen that's an FX pedal in this format, a Mantic Flex. Thinking of using with guitar. Thanks
    Sort of. 
    In theory you could just get a bunch of 1/4” to 1/8” cables made up to run your guitar through the modular as all the modules need is power.

Eurorack is abut 10Vpp so you will have to significantly attenuate a modular level signal and you will have to boost a line level signal to get it to modular level.
    If you are using passive pickups the signal might be 0.2Vpp, so even a lot below life level, let alone modular.

So putting your modular at the start of a guitar chain would need a significant boost and then be attenuated.
    Fortunately a bunch of IO interface modules exist such as this : https://intellijel.com/shop/eurorack/audio-io/

Ahhh ok I see, hmm, think maybe it's easier I just stop being a cheap skate and buy the pedal version instead then! Thanks for the info good sir
    octatonic said:
    Sort of. 

Ahhh ok I see, hmm, think maybe it's easier I just stop being a cheap skate and buy the pedal version instead then! Thanks for the info good sir
    Yes probably the best decision.
    By the time you've bought a case and an IO module it will be massively more expensive and less easy to integrate into your pedalboard.

The other thing I find tricky is down to 'levels'.
    I use a lot of guitar pedals with my Eurorack rig- it is much easier to use them when they are on the desk with the Eurorack rather than having them on the floor because the moment you take your eye off the floor or the rack things seem to go sideways.
    I use the FX8's looper a lot and I find it less immediate than using the smaller pedal-based loopers (EHX, Pigtronix).
    Essentially it is better to either have everything on the floor, or everything on the desk.
  • Seems about the same cost wise in this instance to get the pedal or the module+interface (wouldn't be if a particular shop who has a special edition would allow UK shipping!) But seems extra faff for little gain.

Looks a cool system for sure though in the right set up!