Anyone used Midi Commander?

57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
edited November 2018 in Other Instruments
I want to implement some control change commands into my BOSS ME-5 from my Android phone and although I used to implement this into songs on my Atari ST and Pro 24 years ago I cannot get my head round Midi Commander at the moment...

Poke your heads up if you have any tips

Cheers

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    How are you connecting the phone to your MIDI interface? Not used the app myself but a handy programme on the PC is MIDIox which would let you monitor which MIDI commands are being sent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    /\ you use an OTG connector and then a USB to MIDI from that to your Midi device.

Both of these items work as I can get a Data Dump from the ME5 to the APP (but seemingly no apparent way to save it) so I know the signal path is working. When I press the patch change on the ME5 the app relays what data it has been sent, but it is sending back to the ME5 that seems the problem. I think it must be a state I have to put the ME5 into to allow patch changes, but I cannot seem to get the right combo of settings on its front panel...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Do the MIDI channels match? My point about MIDIox (which is freeware - don't know of a Mac equivalent) is that you can check exactly which messages are being sent from the app. Can the me5 receive program changes from a different device? Also I would connect the me5 to a MIDI monitor programme to see what messages it sends out when you change a patch.

Another point worth mentioning (for when you get them talking to each other) is that some devices use PC numbers 0-127 and some use 1-128, so you may find a discrepancy.

Another possibility is that you need to send a Bank Change message before the PC message. 

Sorry, that's me out of ideas now!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    /\ Thanks for having a think. Yes are so many variables. I do know that there is an offset between channel nos at either Midi device, and too that need to select a specific channel on the ME5 - it doesn't like chn 1 at all, ever!

I suppose I need to rig up my old Atari with it and load the songs that had the patch change data entry saved in them to see what I did... back in 1991 !
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>