Quad Jam post Jam discussion thread

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Snags said:
    a) it might be better to be a bit more ruthless cutting songs when a key person has had to drop out.  Some of them we blagged OK, but a couple were just utter chaos. 
    Fun utter chaos, but chaos nonetheless. In particular, Word Up was an epic car crash because Ed had to step in to do the vocals on a song he didn't know, which is incredibly strongly vocally led. 

There is always at least one like that at each jam.  It used to help when we had a few more "standard" songs everyone knows well.  Word Up isn't an obscure song, but I'd never heard the Gun version before a few days before the jam!

I'd suggest that we keep the suggester on the setlist going forwards, and we automatically drop a song if they drop out, unless everyone gets all "I'm Spartacus" about it.  That would give us a chance to promote a song from the reserve list as well, changing an "well we learnt it, so lets have a crack" number for a "ooh cool, we get to do that" one.

I'd stick by my comments in the Waterrats setlist as well, we need to think singers when selecting songs.  Instrumentals are fine for experienced players, but without the structure of a song they know I think beginners would get lost.  Also, you would lose some of the fun factor.

Just a thought.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    ^^

I hope you read the bit you snipped, where I absolutely wasn't blaming you for the Word Up thing. Hats off that you gave it a whirl.

I think instrumentals can work, but you probably need a dry run, some scribbled chords on the floor, and one person who really knows what's happening to guide people through (unless everyone is very well rehearsed) - a bit like a jam where people get nodded in to do improv at various points.

Although Wipeout could be a giggle :)
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    edited November 2018
    mrkb said:
    Any way of getting the audio only recordings at some point?

Ive downloaded them - will need to chop each song out from the total recording and normalise levels - will take me a few days. Is there any in particular you want to hear - I could do those first.
    @paulmapp8306 if you want the audio of you singing I can rip it from my video until the better recording is available 
    More they keys than the vocals - get back (2nd attempt), and brown sugar specifically - but I can wait.  Its more about how the piano tones sit - first time ive used the board live, and at home I use a very "acoustic piano" tone as its nice and vocal, but suspect live it needs to be a harder sound to cut.  the streams posted do seem to point to that.  there is another "acoustic" patch that has more top and bottom, and the default stage piano is even more scooped.  Its too harsh on its own (at home) but theres probably a reason why its patch 1 on a stage piano.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    WezV said:
    hywelg said:

I am disappointed not to have met @WezV , I'm guessing you were in the other room? Maybe I even talked to you unknowingly?

Fairly sure we shook hands near the start, before everyone was name-tagged.  

I missed most of the fun in the main room and had to scarper at 3
    I do recall saying hello to quite a few people without knowing who they were, or indeed if they were even anything to to with tFB jam!
    Snags said:
    ^^

I hope you read the bit you snipped, where I absolutely wasn't blaming you for the Word Up thing. Hats off that you gave it a whirl.

I did mate, read the whole post, thanks.

The PA did us few favours either.

Who was it at the end of the day said "does anyone else have high-frequency hearing loss" ?? :lol: 
  • Snags said:
    ^^

Who was it at the end of the day said "does anyone else have high-frequency hearing loss" ?? :lol: 
    Should have hung out with me and @Bridgehouse at the bass end. We had no such issues. We were also cooler

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    On the feedback front, this jam felt a little different to me in that many of the group have now done multiple jams and there were some new (as in I had not met them before) really competent players and performers. Reaching back to the original purpose of these Jams, I wonder if there could be a specific room (s) particularly aimed at newcomers to Jams, beginners and those that haven't played live before in which experienced players spend time and where newcomers can develop technique, confidence and perhaps work on a song to be added to the setlist later in the day.........or something along those lines, but slightly more formal than simply dropping off to other rooms to practice?

The requirement may be based on who signs up for each jam, but the express provision my also encourage some to attend.
    Snags said:
    ^^

Should have hung out with me and @Bridgehouse at the bass end. We had no such issues. We were also cooler
    Well we all know you and Bridgehouse are cool.

Plus bassists don't need to hear high frequencies, it's all primal rumblings with you guys.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    TADodger said:
     I wonder if there could be a specific room (s) particularly aimed at newcomers to Jams, beginners and those that haven't played live before in which experienced players spend time 
    I’ve had a good think on this point - and I can’t in all consciousness say yes. The room isn’t a problem, neither is advertising it as a newcomer room. 

The real problem I have (and I’ve been thinking this for a while) is that from an organisational point of view we can’t expect experienced players to do anything.

We pay for a drummer and they are effectively doing a job (they do love it though!) 

But for vocals, bass, and for experienced players, we can only ask so much. It wouldn’t feel right for me to ask an experienced player to sit in a room for an hour or two specifically to help newbies when they have paid up and want to come and jam. This is a volunteer led event, taking time out of people’s weekends and so doing that formally would be, for me, too much. 

I always wanted these jams to be newcomer friendly, and to be a way of getting people playing with others who had played lots before. In that regards, they have succeeded. But my worry is I don’t think we can expect the jams to become a tutorial session, or any sort of formal instruction - that’s a step too far for me. 

If done informally, on the day, or by private arrangement then I think it’s fine. Making it part of the jam setup just means more admin, more volunteer asks and more pressure on people who have paid to turn up and play. 
  • Just have a flick through the list of attendees. How many of those were newbies at the first Quad a year or so back? Quite a few, myself included. 

Point being, you can't spoon feed, and as friendly and welcoming as it is currently, there will always be people who still aren't comfortable enough in that environment to step in. That's NOT a criticism by the way, just a truth. 

You have to leave your comfort zone of your own volition. Nobody can make you. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    @Bridgehouse - I think you have it spot on there to be honest, I learn songs as best I can for the day, but my freestyle ability is limited, and I dont have the tech skills to teach anyone other than the stuff I know.

In between my spots in the main room Im happy to jam with whoever and if I or they learn something then great.

That said...if it fits around my main room songs Im happy to impart my limited knowledge on anyone whos willing to listen ;-)     

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    On another note actually...the acoustic side seems a little sparse..is this due to lack of interest ?

Im cool to do a short acoustic set in smaller room if some folks prefer that to standing in the main room..maybe not so intimidating? 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    On another note actually...the acoustic side seems a little sparse..is this due to lack of interest ?

Im cool to do a short acoustic set in smaller room if some folks prefer that to standing in the main room..maybe not so intimidating? 
    We've previously been asked to have a room set aside for acoustic stuff, but then it barely gets used and ends up being taken over for more plugged in jamming. 

At Huddersfield we have the acoustic open mic section of the gig, but even there it turned out that people had practised at home and didn't really need a space for it during the day. There was not a shortage of people willing to play during that hour. 

I think personally I benefitted from the "in at the deep end" approach.  The trick is really to appreciate that playing with others and playing at home are very different things.

The key thing we need to maintain is what Snags identified - our reaction in the room to screw ups or issues is to smile or laugh.  The day that atmosphere goes is the day we will genuinely alienate newbies and I've got enough faith in my jam buddies I'd be surprised if that happens.

The other issue with having a "newbie room" is you would all have to agree ONE song to work on, which could be alienating in and of itself.
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Will preface by saying that this isn't and wasn't a sales pitch for a newbie room, just one point of view

Maybe, then, the FB Jam is evolving. The bold section of my earlier point was taken from page 1, first post, but perhaps elements have changed e.g. particularly aimed at.....

As noted by @Legionreturns a number of this years attendees were newbies at Quad a year ago (and have done other Jams since). How many that attended were Jam newbies attending for the first time with no previous experience?

I probably didn't articulate it very well earlier, but my thinking was actually less about asking experienced players specifically to sit in a room and coach, but, more as said by @spark240 to spend time in a development room between main room spots and impart knowledge, plus, I would think, maybe settle a few nerves perhaps. Also, wasn't thinking necessarily about some of the really experienced and accomplished players but also some of the Jam regulars that could pass on knowledge of their learning.

Anyone that has organised presentations with inexperienced presenters will recognise the need to provide support and practice runs before the big day. I don't think that this is about spoon feeding people, but I do think that an element of easing in could be usefully provided. I also agree that the genuinely fun reaction to screw ups is important and needs to keep being reinforced in the Jam announcements.

The other issue with having a "newbie room" is you would all have to agree ONE song to work on, which could be alienating in and of itself.

Ed - as an aside, who is 'you'? I did consider the issue of agreeing one song to practice and I am sure it would not be insurmountable; there is enough discussion about the set list before each jam and selecting one wouldn't be an issue IMO. 

• BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    My two cents are that these jams have really helped me (I was a jam newbie at Quad a year ago). I feel I get different benefits from playing with the band in the live room and jamming in other rooms, and for that reason I like to spend as much time playing as possible. At least two local jam groups (Hertford & Cheltenham) have emerged from the larger centrally organised tFB events, which I think counts as an achievement. Maybe having less songs is good thing as more attendees would know the track and be able to fill in for last minute drop outs? 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    edited November 2018
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:

Start of the room recording playlist

Doesn't do anything when I click it. Are they marked private?