Jam with --- the Fretters

What's Hot
Guys

I have been listening to some of the Quad Jam postings on Sound cloud (thanks @markblagdon) and they are really good :+1: 

To help some of the newcomers,  I wonder if some of you guys can supply stems or just the guitars/Bass mixed out. I think this would really help some of us to learn the songs playing with a virtual band 

Jam with the fretters Vol1  Guitar Versions (guitars removed)
Jam with the fretters Vol2 Bass Version (just bass removed)

Just an idea of course :)

@Snags
@
TADodge
@poopot ;
@
munckee 
“Ken sent me.”
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd imagine this would be possible at Sasquatch studios.. albeit maybe above and beyond Bob's remit...

But I think the quad stuff is recording "in the room"?? as opposed a studio with track separation and DAW?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Yeah, @mrkb will be able to comment more fully, but I believe he just had a "recording gizmo" in the room that was pulling in a single feed from an ambient mic.  I don't think anything was mic'd or recorded on independent tracks.  That's why the vocal is quite low in a lot of them.

It's something we could possibly do in the future - I'd be happy to take a laptop and some storage along, if we can get a suitable feed from a desk - but probably quite a lot of aggro (none of the amps were mic'd at Quad etc.).

Also, some of the ones from Quad you really don't want to listen to the parts ;o)

• @Snags... I have heard you sing live, you wait till i start singing and you will be signing up to the "samaritans" :) Would be good if the recordings could be separated

“Ken sent me.”
    I was thinking about a couple where we all just decided to play different songs at the same time ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2018
    More helpfully, and FWIW, my personal prep approach for the jams is along the lines of:

• grab a copy of the original artist recording, either because I own it, or take the pee and rip it off YouTube using y2mate.com if I'm never going to buy it
    • listen to that lots (for Sasquatch and Quad I made up a CD of all the tracks on the list and kept it in the car on repeat)
    • if I already know it, play along with the recording to iron out the bits I've mis-learnt
    • if I don't, go blag some likely looking tabs
    • sit down (or stand up) with recording, tabs, and instrument and work out where the tab isn't quite right, creating my own version of the tab as I go (tedious, but helps it sink in)
    • practice as much as possible, with the tab, and with the recordings
    • if appropriate, go buy a backing track version from somewhere like karaokeversion.com
    For really tricksy bits, load the audio up into Riffstation (free download) which lets you slow it down without changing pitch, and also gives some indicators of underlying chords etc.

Still play shockingly badly, obviously, but it gives a decent reference and makes sure the errors are mine and mine alone
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    edited December 2018
    Quad recordings were just a stereo recording from a Zoom H4n at the back of the room. Levels were set early on the first few Loud songs  (with full band inc keyboards) to avoid clipping so later quiet songs and “post PA feedback issues” recordings are a bit muffled. Still took 5 hours of post event cutting and pasting and uploading of the 30 songs so I wouldn’t want to turn that process into a more complex one. They were just a basic way for people to listen back.

chris reckons his 8 track kit would allow better mixes so might do that for future events- but everything will need mixing and a sound man keeping levels on track.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Thanks guys, I guess you would also need people to supply mics at the jams. 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • Snags said:
    I was thinking about a couple where we all just decided to play different songs at the same time ;)
    Yes i play everything in E ! :)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Even if we mic'd the amps up in the room I think we would get so much bleed its hardly worth the effort , its just not set up for that type of day, the audio, and my Go Pro recordings are just a record and an insight as to what goes on and how it generally sounds IMHO anyway.

If we wanted to record the sessions for remix then its possible but a whole different approach, that said I could do it on my laptop with Presonus Capture. ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    @guitartango - Good idea. i think that there are some resources online e.g guitarbackingtrack.com, that provide backing tracks and the ability to edit individual instrument feeds. unfortunately it probably doesn't offer all of the song range that the Jams cover though.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    @guitartango which tracks did you have in mind?

Might be people have a backing track or practise recording they can share with you.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    Guys

I have been listening to some of the Quad Jam postings on Sound cloud (thanks @mrkb) and they are really good :+1: 

To help some of the newcomers,  I wonder if some of you guys can supply stems or just the guitars/Bass mixed out. I think this would really help some of us to learn the songs playing with a virtual band 

For reasons mentioned above you'll not get stems from Quad/Sasquatch.  However you will get them from the WaterRats session that was held earlier this year.  

For that one, we mic'd up everything separately and had everything recorded on separate tracks via a full mixing desk.

@poopot is your man for access to those.

Alternatively - if you can get past the website name -  https://www.karaoke-version.co.uk ; has thousands-or-more songs, all recorded with separate tracks so you can mute out the bass or lead or rhythm or vocals or whatever and fill in the muted tracks with your own playing.

Tracks are £1.99ea, but you get a free sample of each to check its quality before committing that vast sum.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    TTony said:
    Guys

I have been listening to some of the Quad Jam postings on Sound cloud (thanks @mrkb) and they are really good :+1: 

For that one, we mic'd up everything separately and had everything recorded on separate tracks via a full mixing desk.

@poopot is your man for access to those
    I’ll have to be open and honest here... I don’t have the time at the moment to sort this out. Unfortunately life and paying clients have to take priority.

there are a couple of USB sticks floating about that have all the raw tracks on them. Not sure who has them tho’ if @TTony still has his copy I’m sure he can send it on, or if anyone knows where the other two are maybe they can be forwarded on.
  • @poopot @TTony ;

Thanks for you input, I do make my own backing tracks but rather play with a live band if you know what i mean. Thanks for the offer of the USB sticks that would be great or I can supply somewhere to upload to. I would be happy to mix them myself and maybe share them at a later stage with other fretters
    “Ken sent me.”