Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

HX Stomp

What's Hot

Comments

• I played around earlier and it is interesting using an IR. Definitely a better sound to my ears but I can feel myself wasting time I could be playing just tweaking. 

Totally agree that I have already been through this painful part on Kemper so will try to persevere to properly compare. 

I can can also see where people hit the limitations of the Stomps blocks once IR and EQ is added along with the other elements for a patch. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So, to all with some knowledge...

Ive never used IRs, but Im wondering if they will breathe some life into my crap Helix amps (just jokin, just jokin...)

Now, I play mainly clean, edge of break up (no shredding or heavy rock shit). So, where to start ?
    I'm honestly amazed you're on your 3rd(?) Helix product, still slagging the amp models and haven't even bothered to find a set of IR's you like. 

Its for reasons like this I tell people to beware of the guys who haven't spent much time with gear slagging it off. Be it Helix or Kemper or whatever
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoon said:
    Please could one of the "I'm disappointed with the latest Helix unit and I'm sending it back because the Kemper/Axe/whatever amps/fx/whatever are superior and I'm qualified to say this because at some point  I've owned every model of Helix" people explain why they keep buying new Helix units?   Doesn't make any sense to me.

In my opinion Helix is just unbeatable for everything except amp modelling. I use a Kemper because the amps sound better which is the main thing, but the Helix is truly next generation in regards to everything else. 

Ive tried Helix a couple of times because I really want it to work but after a while I can’t deny the core amp tone is worse to my ears. And considering it’s updated a fair bit it’s worth a punt now and again, but it ain’t there yet.
    I once bought a 2 channel version of the single channel amp that I owned. Expensive hand made boutique stuff

Took me about a year to start getting constantly good sounds out of the two channeller even when I already had the single channel version sussed

I really banged my head against the wall with that amp and started to question whether I just sucked or not a few times 

Anyone regularly playing a Kemper over a period of a year or more who dips their toe into Helix modelling now and again and declares it worse probably just hasn't put enough time into it
    If you class owning multiple Helix and gigging with them 2-5 times a week for about a year “dipping your toe in” then yeah maybe 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    siremoon said:
    Please could one of the "I'm disappointed with the latest Helix unit and I'm sending it back because the Kemper/Axe/whatever amps/fx/whatever are superior and I'm qualified to say this because at some point  I've owned every model of Helix" people explain why they keep buying new Helix units?   Doesn't make any sense to me.

Mainly because they're appealing units. People like the features, UI, routing and the implementation. It's unparallelled. As much as I'd love to, I can't say that about the tone, just can't...sorry!

@fretwired, Kemper isn't more complicated, IMO.
    I've never used one - I'm basing my comments on a video with Lee Anderton and Chappers and co doing a demo of modellers.

I still use my old POD 2 for practice as I can dial up a decent tone without needing a computer in about 30 seconds.
    Me too.
    So, to all with some knowledge...

Ive never used IRs, but Im wondering if they will breathe some life into my crap Helix amps (just jokin, just jokin...)

Now, I play mainly clean, edge of break up (no shredding or heavy rock shit). So, where to start ?
    I'm honestly amazed you're on your 3rd(?) Helix product, still slagging the amp models and haven't even bothered to find a set of IR's you like. 

Its for reasons like this I tell people to beware of the guys who haven't spent much time with gear slagging it off. Be it Helix or Kemper or whatever
    I started all this with a Suhr Load Box and IRs on a Torpedo CAB (Two Notes and many, many 3rd Party). IRs have been a big part of what changed everything for me. So yes, I tried my favourites and many other IRs with Fractal and Helix products and they STILL didn't sound as good as how I feel the Kemper does. Good is subjective though and it's absolutely ok to love both.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    edited November 2018
    So, to all with some knowledge...

You know, Im not even rising to it and jousting with you anymore... people can read both our historical threads and make their minds up, as to the validity/wisom of each opinion. 

That’s the beauty of our beloved Forum...

And for the last time, I am not “slagging off” Helix (one of your many false assumptions). Like many on this very thread, I simply prefer Kemper amp profiles. Just an opinion. I might be wrong. Simples.

But thanks for helping me actually...

My Helix Stomp hasnt been returned yet, but if Ive got to go down the IR rabbit-hole to make it work amp-wise, maybe a return is the best option... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• 3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoon said:

In my opinion Helix is just unbeatable for everything except amp modelling. I use a Kemper because the amps sound better which is the main thing, but the Helix is truly next generation in regards to everything else. 

Ive tried Helix a couple of times because I really want it to work but after a while I can’t deny the core amp tone is worse to my ears. And considering it’s updated a fair bit it’s worth a punt now and again, but it ain’t there yet.
    I once bought a 2 channel version of the single channel amp that I owned. Expensive hand made boutique stuff

Took me about a year to start getting constantly good sounds out of the two channeller even when I already had the single channel version sussed

I really banged my head against the wall with that amp and started to question whether I just sucked or not a few times 

Anyone regularly playing a Kemper over a period of a year or more who dips their toe into Helix modelling now and again and declares it worse probably just hasn't put enough time into it
    If you class owning multiple Helix and gigging with them 2-5 times a week for about a year “dipping your toe in” then yeah maybe 
    So "trying a couple of times" has turned into 5 gigs a week for a year? Ok...

• So, to all with some knowledge...

You know, Im not even rising to it and jousting with you anymore... people can read both our historical threads and make their minds up, as to the validity/wisom of each opinion. 

That’s the beauty of our beloved Forum...

And for the last time, I am not “slagging off” Helix (one of your many false assumptions). Like many on this very thread, I simply prefer Kemper amp profiles. Just an opinion. I might be wrong. Simples.

But thanks for helping me actually...

My Helix Stomp hasnt been returned yet, but if Ive got to go down the IR rabbit-hole to make it work amp-wise, maybe a return is the best option... 

I'm sorry, I forgot I was talking to a forum big deal whom other members read their post history during their spare time. I know it's my favourite toilet companion 

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoon said:

So "trying a couple of times" has turned into 5 gigs a week for a year? Ok...
    Yes, when I say I’ve tried it I mean I bought it and used it live and on recordings. Isn’t that what you’re meant to do when trying an expensive and complex piece of musical equipment?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I'm sorry, I forgot I was talking to a forum big deal whom other members read their post history during their spare time. I know it's my favourite toilet companion 

You gotta laugh...
  • Right - calm your tits, people. This isn't a religious debate.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    I know who's opinion I'd value more highly....
     @Wazmeister - ignore this guy. He's turning this thread into TGP!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Chuffola said:
    Before you turn this into a school playground popularity contest may I ask why you'd value the opinion of someone on his 3rd Helix product but has never even loaded an IR into one and also owns a Kemper over someone who has owned a Helix and made a living with that piece of gear since two months after its release until present and also had a Kemper for 18 months considering my opinion is that it's more of a preference at this point rather than one being "way behind the other"? It's simply not true and I would suggest that's down to the user 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Chuffola said:
    Before you turn this into a school playground popularity contest may I ask why you'd value the opinion of someone on his 3rd Helix product but has never even loaded an IR into one and also owns a Kemper over someone who has owned a Helix and made a living with that piece of gear since two months after its release until present and also had a Kemper for 18 months considering my opinion is that it's more of a preference at this point rather than one being "way behind the other"? It's simply not true and I would suggest that's down to the user 
    You are the bestest and the winner !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    edited November 2018
    I don't even know what an 'IR' is, but I'd want the Helix to sound great straight out of the box, without having to faff about even more than you already have to. I'm out.

PS. For all those saying that in a band mix, people wouldn't notice the difference, I don't care about that. What I do care about is being inspired to play by the tone coming out of my gear every time I plug in. Helix doesn't do that for me. Yet. 

PPS. The sooner @Wazmeister starts buying valve amps again, the sounder I'll sleep at night.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Right - calm your tits, people. This isn't a religious debate.
    I bet Jesus would have used a Helix .. Kemper's are the work of the Devil .....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Fretwired said:
    Right - calm your tits, people. This isn't a religious debate.
    I bet Jesus would have used a Helix .. Kemper's are the work of the Devil .....
    Jesus would've picked the underdog - the Headrush
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Right - calm your tits, people. This isn't a religious debate
    Listen to the man's advice. Stop picking fights over a matter of opinion. If someone can't get the Helix to work for them and they can make a Kemper work, then why not? If someone finds a Helix a better solution for their personal needs, good luck to them. 

Jeeezzz... 

To quote from somewhere or other...

"If you have to choose between being right or being kind, be kind."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    You digital guys are a tetchy eh?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    You digital guys are a tetchy eh?
    You talkin' to me?

:D
    <space for hire>