Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

HX Stomp

What's Hot

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Chuffola said:
    I know who's opinion I'd value more highly....
     @Wazmeister - ignore this guy. He's turning this thread into TGP!
    Before you turn this into a school playground popularity contest may I ask why you'd value the opinion of someone on his 3rd Helix product but has never even loaded an IR into one and also owns a Kemper over someone who has owned a Helix and made a living with that piece of gear since two months after its release until present and also had a Kemper for 18 months considering my opinion is that it's more of a preference at this point rather than one being "way behind the other"? It's simply not true and I would suggest that's down to the user 
    Couple of reasons, and it has nothing to do with a popularity contest.

Firstly, I've been reading Waz's posts for years now and he seems to know his stuff and his posts are pretty entertaining, usually.

Secondly, unlike you, he doesn't come across as a tit. And within almost every post he's made, he's stated that his opinion is just that, his opinion. He prefers Kemper. He has no issue with anyone else that doesn't. That's kind of how the forum works - opinions. He's also outlined that the Helix is fantastic in every other way. It seems to be you that has an issue with him - I'm not really sure why.

I actually don't have any problem with your view that Helix can sound as good, if not better, than the Kemper. I've never tried a Kemper so I have no idea. I've also never (yet) owned a Helix of any kind other than the Native demo, so I really have no idea! I'm deciding just now whether to get the LT, the Stomp or just stick with Native. I can't afford (well, justify really) a Kemper.

Generally, in life, I like to take on board the opinions of people who come across as reasonable and engaging. I usually ignore people who come across as very opinionated and antagonistic. 

And with your blessing, I'll now move on. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom

• Thanks to the people who replied to my questions about DSP capacity a few pages back.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chuffola said:
    Chuffola said:
    Before you turn this into a school playground popularity contest may I ask why you'd value the opinion of someone on his 3rd Helix product but has never even loaded an IR into one and also owns a Kemper over someone who has owned a Helix and made a living with that piece of gear since two months after its release until present and also had a Kemper for 18 months considering my opinion is that it's more of a preference at this point rather than one being "way behind the other"? It's simply not true and I would suggest that's down to the user 

Firstly, I've been reading Waz's posts for years now and he seems to know his stuff and his posts are pretty entertaining, usually.

Secondly, unlike you, he doesn't come across as a tit. And within almost every post he's made, he's stated that his opinion is just that, his opinion. He prefers Kemper. He has no issue with anyone else that doesn't. That's kind of how the forum works - opinions. He's also outlined that the Helix is fantastic in every other way. It seems to be you that has an issue with him - I'm not really sure why.

I actually don't have any problem with your view that Helix can sound as good, if not better, than the Kemper. I've never tried a Kemper so I have no idea. I've also never (yet) owned a Helix of any kind other than the Native demo, so I really have no idea! I'm deciding just now whether to get the LT, the Stomp or just stick with Native. I can't afford (well, justify really) a Kemper.

Generally, in life, I like to take on board the opinions of people who come across as reasonable and engaging. I usually ignore people who come across as very opinionated and antagonistic. 

Great post, and muchly appreciated...

The reality is that both the Kemper and Helix are superb devices; we are really spoilt, in this day and age, with the options that we have. 

Lebarque said:

PPS. The sooner @Wazmeister starts buying valve amps again, the sounder I'll sleep at night.

I dare say it'll come around again mate !

I feel kinda naked not owning a 'real' amp.

I reckon as soon as a Matchless Lightning or Redplate raises its head, I'll be in like a tramp on chips...

PS - the 'voices in my head' have told me that Jesus would definitely have chosen the Kemper... 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Chuffola said:

I'm deciding just now whether to get the LT, the Stomp or just stick with Native. I can't afford (well, justify really) a Kemper.

Hmm. Depending on how seriously you apply the second paragraph... ;)

I think it depends on how complex you want to get. I regularly max out the DSP on the full Helix, because I keep adding stuff to see what I can build. I've never done that with any sensible, regular-use patch, but when I recreated my old pedalboard and amp setup I did use both paths and got close to the limit.

If you're happy always having the PC on and working out a way to control snapshots and so on then Native is cheap and very powerful.

If you want all the control and routing then the LT (or the full-fat) wins.

If you want something small to lug around then the Stomp.

My only regret with the full-fat is that I didn't get the Rack and Floor instead to save all the sitting on the floor when I'm twiddling more than playing.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    edited November 2018
    For what it's worth, I came at the Helix from the point of view of needing to re-record a part I did with my AC30, and being impressed enough at how the Helix native sounded in that context alongside real recorded guitars that I went and bought the hardware.

But Kemper is the only modeller I've ever seen consistently impress people who might otherwise not even need to go down that route - including a producer who's opinion I respect, the owner of one of Birmingham's high-level studios, and several great guitarists in bands I've played alongside over the years. None of those people needed to not use real valve amps, so for them to switch to Kemper modelling means something to me.

My own POV is that the Helix sounds great and is a very well thought through bit of kit. I'm delighted with the recordings I've made with it so far. I just put up a new video single on the plug my stuff section, it's all Helix guitars.

I did find IRs essential though. I think the amp modelling is great, but the cabs let things down a bit. They're almost... cartoony? I can't really explain it any better. More specifically, I think the mic modelling is the area that doesn't work as well because no SM57 I've ever used has sounded as thin, boxy and scratchy as the Helix SM57 model. But load up, say, an Ownhammer Bogner OS 2x12 with V30s miked with an SM57 (my fave IR), and it sounds, to my ears and speaking as a mixer, totally like a real amp being miked up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    @Sporky ;

Thanks for the info - its a dilemma but I'm having fun deciding. In reality, I've ditched / am ditching my amp and pedalboard. I only play at home these days and 95% of the time sitting at my PC. I don't really need anything as fancy as a Helix or a Kemper - a GT100 or HD500 would probably do me rightly.

But the Helix is just so sexy. Even the little Stomp - like a foxy little dwarf in suspenders.

Native sounds great to me so far through my system - its the thought of paying a fair whack of cash for software that is stopping me just shelling out. There's 30% discount (thanks for the head's up @rossyamaha ) until this weekend so I've a decision to make!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26450
    edited November 2018
    Chuffola said:
    @Sporky ;;

Thanks for the info - its a dilemma but I'm having fun deciding. In reality, I've ditched / am ditching my amp and pedalboard. I only play at home these days and 95% of the time sitting at my PC. I don't really need anything as fancy as a Helix or a Kemper - a GT100 or HD500 would probably do me rightly.

But the Helix is just so sexy. Even the little Stomp - like a foxy little dwarf in suspenders.

Native sounds great to me so far through my system - its the thought of paying a fair whack of cash for software that is stopping me just shelling out. There's 30% discount (thanks for the head's up @rossyamaha ) until this weekend so I've a decision to make!

For what it's worth, I recorded my band's whole album (not out yet) with a combination of the Helix LT (to begin with) and Native (when I got too lazy to set the LT up), and nobody who didn't already know has figured out that none of the guitars or bass are real amps.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not about "Does it sound like a real-world amp?" any more. It's "Does it sound good in its own right?". I find I can get great sounds out of the Helix family that I couldn't get anywhere else, whereas the Kemper will only ever sound like a specific amp on specific settings.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited November 2018
    Chuffola said:
    Chuffola said:

Great post, and muchly appreciated...

The reality is that both the Kemper and Helix are superb devices; we are really spoilt, in this day and age, with the options that we have. 

Lebarque said:

PPS. The sooner @Wazmeister starts buying valve amps again, the sounder I'll sleep at night.

I dare say it'll come around again mate !

I feel kinda naked not owning a 'real' amp.

I reckon as soon as a Matchless Lightning or Redplate raises its head, I'll be in like a tramp on chips...

PS - the 'voices in my head' have told me that Jesus would definitely have chosen the Kemper... 

Wait... so the guy that doesn't own any of the devices has decided to chime in and call me a tit in the process and then the guy who can't work Helix but can work online returns have a backpatting session and I'm the bad guy here?

ive got a feeling neither of your opinions on Helix (this is a Helix thread after all) are worth the forum space they're been printed on but have fun in your clique 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • having fun with this after a couple of days playing with it...

Can someone recommend some decent free IRs that are worth trying?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Nice one John, sounds great. I’d start with Ownhammers free IR pack and go from there...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Wait... so the guy that doesn't own any of the devices has decided to chime in and call me a tit in the process and then the guy who can't work Helix but can work online returns have a backpatting session and I'm the bad guy here?

ive got a feeling neither of your opinions on Helix (this is a Helix thread after all) are worth the forum space they're been printed on but have fun in your clique 
    Mate, you are just passionate about the Helix which works for you which is cool, good and what we need on this forum...

Teach us your ways, and tell us how you get it to work.

Thousands out there use Helix live, and I guess we just need a bit of guidance and coaxing.
    (The Kemper is the same; in fact, it is more complex imho than the Helix).

I'd be happy to learn more about it...
  • Ok cool on it - is that going to work ok for cleans and stuff too? Don't know why but 4 x 12 just seems not appropriate but I'm probably off...
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    JohnCordy said:
    Ok cool on it - is that going to work ok for cleans and stuff too? Don't know why but 4 x 12 just seems not appropriate but I'm probably off...
    It’ll give you an idea if it’s a rabbit hole worth diving down... there’s also a free V30 IR on the Celestion Plus site. Line6 offer their Allure IR pack for free too.
  • If any of you non-Helix-owning folk have an audio interface and decent monitors, you could always just download Helix Native and give it a go - it's free for 15 days. Trialling Native is what made me buy the Helix in the first place - half an hour mucking around with it showed me that it did everything I wanted.
    <space for hire>
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Chuffola said:
    Chuffola said:

Bit harsh on tits, but agreed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wondered if this would work - iPad passes audio through via USB so you can play along to music and record to iPad. Handy for travel noodling etc.
  • Kemper have a really great Laughter model that works beautifully for me. 

• @dangriffiths it's working with Laptop audio via USB with no issues so I figure that would work?
  • JohnCordy said:
    @dangriffiths it's working with Laptop audio via USB with no issues so I figure that would work?
    Yeh it does that what I meant. I then read the manual and it clearly says it haha.
  • I’ve owned a Kemper twice, and a Helix, and amps, and been following this thread. And here is my IMO YMMV experience / view:

- The profiles in the Kemper sounded amazing at times. 

- The Helix sounded amazing at times, though the amps never quite blew me away like the Kemper did. They just didn’t.

- HX Edit made the Helix much more fun to play around with and tweak.

- On balance I had more fun with the Helix than the Kemper.

- The sheer number of options with both is slightly overwhelming, yet immense fun.

- I struggled with both in a live setting (getting them to cut through like an amp does).

- I’ve struggled with amps in a live setting too.

- Some of that is down to not having the time to tweak and test at live volumes. Some of it is because there are so many variables.

- I find an amp easier to get sounding good live.

- Waz you have the patience of a saint (as well as being a great source of Kemper and Helix real world insight of course).