Synths - help needed!

What's Hot
I've posted something on this before but got totally confused so abandoned the idea, however my 15 year old has just put one on his Christmas list.

Ideally, he needs something that he can play with batteries and also plug in, but it must have keys and have in built speakers for jamming along with at home, and the ability to record / loop.

Drum pads would be good, but a decent array of sounds. He would want to be able to use it with Ableton software.

Budget around the £200 - £300 mark, either used or new.

Any advice would be great. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    >batteries ... looper ... speakers

I think you've limted it to the Reface CS:

That means no drum pads.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    goldtop said:
    >batteries ... looper ... speakers

I think you've limted it to the Reface CS:

That means no drum pads.

This is one of the few synths I have tried, the keys are really nice. Had no idea about other features so thanks. 

Drum pads not a deal breaker. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Maybe have a look at the Roland Go Keys. It looks very toy-like, and the promo videos are terrible, but I heard someone making a pretty decent racket in a shop last month.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Fuengi said:
    Budget around the £200 - £300 mark, either used or new.
    This used to be the domain of Casio. For this budget, I would seek out something circuit bent. 

Fuengi said:
    Ideally, he needs something that he can play with batteries and also plug in, but it must have keys and have in built speakers for jamming along with at home, and the ability to record / loop. Drum pads would be good, but a decent array of sounds. He would want to be able to use it with Ableton software.
    All of these functions should be possible with just an iPad and a few well-chosen software apps. Audio/MIDI recording and loudspeaker monitoring would require an interface device of some sort. 
    Be seeing you.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    edited December 2018
    @Funkfingers sorry man I don't think an iPad and apps will cut it their is nothing like having actual keyss and physical knobs, an iPad screen is just a ball ache when it comes to music production, screens are useless with it comes s to creativity.