Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

First 2 Maiden Albums

What's Hot

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    viz said:
    pmbomb said:
    Yeah I hear the punk influence, not surprising given the era.

I always liked Running Free.

Dianno always claimed it was totally non-punky, but it was. :)
    Running Free also reminds me a bit of Thin Lizzy, which I think they were into. Supposedly the story goes that the raw 'punky' production of the first album wasn't quite what Steve Harris wanted. He was after something more produced, but they ran out of money, just as well imo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited December 2018
    It’s amazing how every album got progressively more huge and awesome, yet flabby and repetitive. NOTB still had some of the innovativeness of the early albums; POM had a bit of interest lingering on, PS started to be more of the same, then it was just rinse and repeat from then on. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    It’s amazing how every album got progressively more huge and awesome, yet flabby and repetitive. NOTB still had some of the innovativeness of the early albums; POM had a bit lingering on, PS started to be more of them same, then it was just rinse and repeat from then on. 
    this is pretty much spot on IMHO 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    It was nothing to do with Punk. They hated punk. The 2 main factors were 1) playing with Angel Witch - Kevin claims his dad/manager overheard Steve talking about how they needed to faster and heavier)  and,  2) Clive's chemical intake. 
    If you listen to Maiden with Den Wilcock singing,  the songs are half the speed. Wrathchild sounds like Pagan Altar. Prowler (which was Wilcock's theme song and saw him wearing flasher mac and mask) is far slower. 
    Killers is their best album as it perfectly balances the Montrose/Wishbone Ash/Purple side of their early material that was mostly written between 73 and 77, with the aggression that Clive had brought to the band. However, they would not have lasted with Dianno. Listen to he full length Maiden Japan for example and you can hear the cracks. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    viz said:
    It’s amazing how every album got progressively more huge and awesome, yet flabby and repetitive. NOTB still had some of the innovativeness of the early albums; POM had a bit lingering on, PS started to be more of them same, then it was just rinse and repeat from then on. 
    this is pretty much spot on IMHO 

I pretty much agree, but isn't Seventh Son usually regarded as something of a high point?  Things certainly dipped after that, but I think Smith and Dickinson coming back for Brave New World really rejuvenated them.

I haven't really enjoyed the last couple of albums.  A bit of a rut with Kevin Shirley, maybe time for another change of producer?

The early stuff still holds up well, though, I must say. 

edited December 2018
    7th son is part of the continuation of the gentle slope downwards IMO. I mean the song itself is ok apart from that dreadful solo but the rest of it - I just don’t see many new ideas coming through, and also the sound itself is so soft. The drums sound really soft and thuddy, not tight and percussive like in the olden days. Great artwork though. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited December 2018
    7th son was their peak imo. All killer, no filler.
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2991
    edited December 2018
    I’ve always been a Live After Death man, since getting the double tape at 11 yrs old. I find it strange to listen to Maiden pre Dickinson. When I think of Running Free, Phantom of the Opera etc it’s the Live After Death version. But there are interesting comments here and I will give the first two albums another listen. 
  • @MagicPigDetective ;
    that was the same as me, only maiden I had on my iPod was live after death, and it’s a long long time since I listened to the first two albums. And I have to say they are bloody brilliant 
    I currently have over 600 Maiden songs on my iPod  including 3 pre 1980 gigs and Paul's last gig. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Octafish said:
    For me the first album is their best, Killers is ok and the rest post-Di'Anno Dickinson stuff is all a bit of an overblown, formuliac parody. I love the raw sound of the first album, no shiny production and lots of energy. The plodding Nicko McBrain can't hold a candle to the effortless Clive Burr. This can't beaten...

brilliant.

they all look about 12.
    you lot still have iPods?
  • Old skool init 
    pre-school.
    If and when they produce a mobile with a battery that lasts long enough to listen then I may retire it. That's a long way off though.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    Steve Harris was more creative earlier on - Nice vibe.

I find them hard to listen to after 'Brave New World', which was a wonderful album IMO.
    edited December 2018
    Schnozz said:
    Steve Harris was more creative earlier on - Nice vibe.

Yes, before he got stuck on the ‘i gallop gallop gallop gallop VI gallop gallop gallop gallop VII gallop gallop gallop gallop i gallop gallop gallop gallop’ theme in E minor. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My sister thought the first two albums were brilliant. I never agreed with anything she said in those days.

I still maintain she talks tripe.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    Revisited Iron Maiden for the first time in forever...definitely better than I remember. Clive and Steve’s rhythm is unbelievable! 
  • Ok I’ve gone back given the 1st two albums another listen and yes, they are awesome, raw and in your face. I really like Prodigal Son.