Cover Challenge #3 - official chat thread

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• IMC1980 said:
    IMC1980 said:
    You're too kind @flying_pie - I use bfd3 for drums, i haven't heard a drum VSTi that comes close to it IMO. I use a tweaked preset that is called technical metal.

Is that the core library or one of the Expansions? I recently got BFD3 as an upgrade from BFD Eco at a 75% discount.

btw. I notice there's currently a 50% discount for a direct purchase.

The preset is from the core library, I think it is the last in the list when you go to the presets tab on the left side. 

Thanks. I've found it now. I was looking under "Kits" instead of "Presets"

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    IMC1980 said:
    IMC1980 said:
    You're too kind @flying_pie - I use bfd3 for drums, i haven't heard a drum VSTi that comes close to it IMO. I use a tweaked preset that is called technical metal.

Is that the core library or one of the Expansions? I recently got BFD3 as an upgrade from BFD Eco at a 75% discount.

btw. I notice there's currently a 50% discount for a direct purchase.

The preset is from the core library, I think it is the last in the list when you go to the presets tab on the left side. 

Thanks. I've found it now. I was looking under "Kits" instead of "Presets"

It is a great preset, I think I added a little weight to the kick with the EQ as it was very clicky and increased the volume of some of the ambient mics. Very small changes though and more personal preference, it's definitely mix ready without tweaks.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    *snip* your Mike McCready is also on point. I have one complaint though - I was expecting an Alive length guitar solo at the end and it was way too short. *snip*
    Man, that made my day!! Thank you.
  • On the subject of plugins I might ping over a new version. Just downloaded Waves Sibilance de-esser for free and it's really cleaned up the vocals
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    edited December 2018
    I'm way behind and have only got a skeleton guide at the moment. Things are taking longer because I've set myself the challenge of not touching a guitar or bass guitar on this one (not for even working out the parts) to force myself to get better at finding things on a piano keyboard. Well that's the plan anyway, but it's a bit like trying to do things with one hand tied behind my back.

It's not a competition.
    I'm way behind and have only got a skeleton guide at the moment. Things are taking longer because I've set myself the challenge of not touching a guitar or bass guitar on this one (not for even working out the parts) to force myself to get better at finding things on a piano keyboard. Well that's the plan anyway, but it's a bit like trying to do things with one hand tied behind my back.

Are you going to use synth VSTis as part of your keys only version? Would be cool to hear a Bladerunner style interpretation of this track....
  • IMC1980 said:

Are you going to use synth VSTis as part of your keys only version? Would be cool to hear a Bladerunner style interpretation of this track....

I was thinking more orchestral than synths. But who knows where it might go.

It's not a competition.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    edited December 2018
    Sent my entry.

...and (as requested) added to playlist on poopot's behalf.

It's not a competition.
    Sent my entry.

...and (as requested) added to playlist on poopot's behalf.

Great version! Feels like it should be on an advert for something. 
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I'm joining in this one. I'm most of the way through mine - needs a bit more on the vocals, I want to replace the initial guide bass track, I'm not happy with all the guitars, and the drums need some attention. But I'm reasonably confident I can get it done for the end of the month.

The style is vaguely inspired by The War On Drugs. It's the first time I've done a whole track from scratch. There's a lot to learn about how everything fits together :-S 

• Still plenty of time left @markv - will look forward to seeing it added to the playlist

Be great to get some more entries. Perhaps some reggae and country to go with all the forementioned genres...
  • Mine will be neither reggae or country, but 'm fairly sure won't be any duplication on the genre front from me. So far I've sorted the drums in my head and have been practising the "Youuuuuuuuu watching meeeeeeeeee" bit to get it as high as possible :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Well, I'm now at the stage of tinkering with EQ, since I have enough knowledge to know that ideally I'd try and make sure that various parts should occupy their own space but not enough knowledge to know how to go about it or really what to listen for.

I think I need to not listen to it for a day now and come back to it with slightly fresher ears. All being well I'll be sending it in on Saturday.

I've [...] been practising the "Youuuuuuuuu watching meeeeeeeeee" bit to get it as high as possible :)
    Funnily enough I was trying to get as low as possible!
  • I've got tonsillitis (or is it tinselitis this time of year?) so sadly no singing gonna happen, high or low!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Entry sent. As I said before, this is the first time I've done a whole track and it's also the first time I've recorded myself singing - and the singing is the bit I'm least confident about. I think I'm mostly in tune. But there it is, I'll stop making excuses for myself now and let you guys have a listen. Constructive criticism welcome!
    markv said:
    Entry sent. As I said before, this is the first time I've done a whole track and it's also the first time I've recorded myself singing - and the singing is the bit I'm least confident about. I think I'm mostly in tune. But there it is, I'll stop making excuses for myself now and let you guys have a listen. Constructive criticism welcome!
    Looking forward to hearing it!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    markv said:
    I have it, I don’t have access to upload it today... so will upload it tomorrow when I’m back in front of the Mac... 

so deadline extended by 1 day folks!!!!!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    @markv added to the playlist....

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-no3-sweet

Im deffo not going to make this one... but... uncle should be back for the next one...

Entries now closed folks....