Mysterious feedback

Hi All, I'm practising with my band in a new place and having some pretty wacky feedback issues with my guitar/amp.  Despite playing at pretty low volumes and with something close to a clean tone, I'm getting what sounds like 'PA feedback' even when my amp and guitar are the only things powered up.  Its a Fender Tele going direct into a Carr Impala tube amp, so decent quality gear and a simple set-up.  Any suggestions on possible causes?  It is an old building ... a 19th century schoolhouse building, with loads of massive metal radiators covering every wall, probably fairly archaic electrics, and nasty old fluorescent strip lights ... but no idea if any of those things would be relevant.  Guitar doesn't have any screening in the body ... could that cause the problem?  Any help much appreciated because this is otherwise a great place to practice .. and free so would rather not have to go elsewhere!  Cheers, Jon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• microphonic pickup maybe?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    jed2718 said:
    Fender Tele going direct into a Carr Impala tube amp
    Which exact model of Telecaster? Specifically, what bridge design and how is the bridge position pickup sprung on its height adjustment screws? (Compressible metal springs, rubber tubing sections or something else?)

Remote diagnosis would be aided by photographs of your guitar's bridge from various angles. 

Veteran mains electrics might result in some appliances causing clicks through amplifiers. Some types of lighting and dimmers can induce hum in single coil pickups.

microphonic pickup, maybe?
    Microphonic valve, maybe?

jed2718 said:
    a 19th century schoolhouse building, with loads of massive metal radiators covering every wall
    Here comes the science bit.

Depending on the proportions of the room in which your band rehearses, the huge metal radiators could cause some undamped early reflection reverberations. If those combine with the original sound of your amplified guitar, some frequencies may be cancelled while the amplitude of other frequencies is increased. If any of the exaggerated frequencies is close to the resonant peak frequency of your pickups, the pickups might (quite reasonably) resonate in sympathy, resulting in howl round feedback.

It may be possible to avoid this problem by simply moving the amplifier to a different position in the room. That could mean closer to the centre. It could mean closer to a wall. Experiment. Find a sweet spot.

jed2718 said:
    I'm practising with my band in a new place ... at pretty low volumes and with something close to a clean tone.
    Have you adjusted your amplifier EQ settings to suit the acoustics of the rehearsal room and the increase in volume from bedroom to full band sound pressure levels? 
    Be seeing you.