Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Plugin Deals and Discussion Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    @JAYJO thanks!  Sorry I meant to say I'd sorted it ... it was well hidden though ...

It's an odd old plugin isn't it?  I'm clearly using it wrong as it utterly wrecked a mix I was trialing it on.  More RTFM needed I suspect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Bezzer said:
    @JAYJO thanks!  Sorry I meant to say I'd sorted it ... it was well hidden though ...

It's an odd old plugin isn't it?  I'm clearly using it wrong as it utterly wrecked a mix I was trialing it on.  More RTFM needed I suspect.
    No worries mate. Haven't tried it myself. Though iv'e got nothing that cant take a wrecking  as i'm just starting out. 
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 395
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Just got the Soundtoys Primal Tap delay for $29 - sounds awesome from just having a quick shot. Got their Little Plate in a freeby a while back, it sounds nice too.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    wave100 said:
    Just got the Soundtoys Primal Tap delay for $29 

I love the sample hold on that - the multiplier knob and filters let you capture and manipulate some great textures
  • Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BX SSL 4000 E $99 + VAT

Code: xms18-ssl99-bxE187

Ends December 18th, 11:59PM California Time

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/bx_console_ssl_4000_e.html

• duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    BX SSL 4000 E $99 + VAT

Code: xms18-ssl99-bxE187

Ends December 18th, 11:59PM California Time

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/bx_console_ssl_4000_e.html

Love the customer review.

If You can't mix an album only with Console E, change your profession...
    BRILLANT!!!
  • Lol I hadn’t seen that! It’s more expensive than some other versions of it, and I haven’t used a real one. But it does sound very good to me
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    I watched quite a few YouTube videos when it was released earlier in the year & it impressed me.  There was another console (not SSL) around £300 that got a lot of online attention, I don’t think it had as many available channels though & it didn’t have the name/history of SSL.

If I did more mixing then it’s something I would buy especially at that price.
  • What's best E or G? I don't understand the difference? Does sound nice!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited December 2018
    I'd go for E.  They're both nice but most people I'm aware of end up using the E over the G.  The EQ on the E can switch the shelves to bells which makes it a bit more versatile.
  • I really like their Console N (Neve) plugin as well.
  • I'd go for E.  They're both nice but most people I'm aware of end up using the E over the G.  The EQ on the E can switch the shelves to bells which makes it a bit more versatile.
    Cool, thank you!

I had a trial of the Neve, I may buy that one day. Though they're good deals, I'm finding it hard to draw a line under the spending...it's like a whole new world of cool things to explore! :-)

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    What's best E or G? I don't understand the difference? Does sound nice!
    I might be able to help here (ex-SSL employee).

I'm going to talk about the consoles, specifically the 9000k where you could choose between E and G series EQ, rather than the plugins that emulate the consoles, but you can take this as being roughly equivalent for the various plugin emulations that exist, including the SSL Native plugins.

The shelving curves will overshoot/undershoot (for boosting or cutting, respectively) below the  HF frequency or above the  LF frequency. 

Pressing the E button removes the overshoot/undershoot effect and provides a slightly gentler slope. 

Normally, at any Q setting, the bandwidth of the HMF and LMF sections varies with gain, whereby an increase in boost or cut increases the selectivity of the EQ. This type of EQ can sound effective when used at moderate settings; the gentle Q curve lends itself to the application of overall EQ on combined sources and subtle corrective adjustments to instruments and vocals.

With an E series EQ , the bandwidth of the HMF and LMF sections remains consistent at all gain levels, so at lower gain the EQ curves are narrower for a given Q setting.

This generally sounds brilliant on drums but is not as useful for subtle EQ or EQing an entire mix. as you'd need to adjust the Q to maintain the same effect when the gain is altered.

When you are fully boosting or cutting then there isn't much of a difference (or any IIRC), but it comes down to how you wish to use the EQ.
    My rule of thumb is for subtle or mix bus EQ I use a G, for drums, bass and vocals I tend to use an E.
    There are exceptions to this, of course and before the 9k came out people did entire mixes with one or the other (because they owned an E or G series console).

The Brainworx plugins sound very fine indeed- I own them and I use them but IMHO the UA plugins absolutely smoke it in terms of sounding like the original.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    I might be able to help here (ex-SSL employee).

I'm going to talk about the consoles, specifically the 9000k where you could choose between E and G series EQ, rather than the plugins that emulate the consoles, but you can take this as being roughly equivalent for the various plugin emulations that exist, including the SSL Native plugins.

The shelving curves will overshoot/undershoot (for boosting or cutting, respectively) below the  HF frequency or above the  LF frequency. 

Pressing the E button removes the overshoot/undershoot effect and provides a slightly gentler slope. 

Normally, at any Q setting, the bandwidth of the HMF and LMF sections varies with gain, whereby an increase in boost or cut increases the selectivity of the EQ. This type of EQ can sound effective when used at moderate settings; the gentle Q curve lends itself to the application of overall EQ on combined sources and subtle corrective adjustments to instruments and vocals.

With an E series EQ , the bandwidth of the HMF and LMF sections remains consistent at all gain levels, so at lower gain the EQ curves are narrower for a given Q setting.

This generally sounds brilliant on drums but is not as useful for subtle EQ or EQing an entire mix. as you'd need to adjust the Q to maintain the same effect when the gain is altered.

When you are fully boosting or cutting then there isn't much of a difference (or any IIRC), but it comes down to how you wish to use the EQ.
    My rule of thumb is for subtle or mix bus EQ I use a G, for drums, bass and vocals I tend to use an E.
    There are exceptions to this, of course and before the 9k came out people did entire mixes with one or the other (because they owned an E or G series console).

The Brainworx plugins sound very fine indeed- I own them and I use them but IMHO the UA plugins absolutely smoke it in terms of sounding like the original.

Superb, as always, mate, thank you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:

Also, would this matter if I've never heard of used the original? Or would it matter regardless, if the BX stuff sounds good?

edited December 2018
    No worries, happy to help.

I have a couple of SSL 611 500 series hardware EQ's in my rack that I love on the OH's, try a couple of db of HF boost on any nice sounding OH, or on room mics.
    They are excellent, even in plugin form.
    octatonic said:

Also, would this matter if I've never heard of used the original? Or would it matter regardless, if the BX stuff sounds good?
    Hard to say- I cannot personally split what I know about the hardware, especially the current hardware mixers (Matrix, AWS, Duality), from how I have used them.

If you want the 'closet to hardware' emulation of the SSL E/G then UA nails it.

But imho a lot of how you use the hardware comes down to the physical interaction with the hardware.
    I know no one here is going to go out and buy a 60k+ mixer so the plugins are good enough for most people, maybe almost all people.

At the price of the Brainworx though you'd struggle to do better without going for the UA DSP platform.

Have you looked at all at the SSL Native bundle?
    There is a subscription now through Gobbler.
  • Well I gave the Brainworx Console E plugin a go, and it was quite easy to dial in a reasonable drum sound. But I also felt that it needed a little more processing after I was done - some surgical stuff.

So I guess what I would say is.... regardless of who you guy a 'console' plugin from, don't expect it to be a one-size-fits-all solution and don't expect it to cure everything magically. They still take work. And if you're not used to working on a console then they might be more confusing than individual plugs.

I'll also say that I didn't notice any real harmonic benefits from the Brainworx plugin - whereas with the Slate Digital Console Collection stuff, I do hear a harmonic difference, and I consider it to be a benefit.

I'm not sure about the UA ones. I should try them I suppose.

Bye!