Tribute band gear question.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• a Sabbath tribute where the guy playing Tony is using a Strat?
    Early in Iommi's career, he did play Stratocasters. 

http://www.iommi.com/equipment/fender-stratocasters/
    Just looked up what I was thinking of - he played a Les Paul on TOTP. Which isn't a strat but isn't an SG either...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I'm not particularly into tribute bands; I did once see a Beatles one at Disney Florida who were OK.

There's also a US Rush tribute called YYNOT, who don't go for the look but can certainly play the music and have a great singer; the bass player frequents the Ric forums on FB - I'd go and see them.

• To be honest, tribute acts generally are reasonably true to the assumed equipments and play same arrangements from the records.

On the other hand I remember a Ramones tribute who were a three piece who just wore Ramones shirts.
  • When I was Angus I played a SG..
    When I was Kirk I played an ESP mummy.

I've seen maiden tribs with ibanez guitars and it didn't sit right with me.

Make the effort if you want to take it seriously, maybe not all, but some audience members will notice.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Had an online ‘debate’ with a muso friend regarding tribute bands and the gear they use. Would you be bothered if you saw, say, a Sabbath tribute where the guy playing Tony is using a Strat? So long as the music is right, does it really matter? 
    Nope. I'd go for the music, not what the band looks like or the gear they play. There's a great Led Zep tribute band in which the lead guitarist plays an SG.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I guess the general consensus is, early days in a tribute band, focus on getting the band tight and the music right and if it becomes your main gig, get serious with the gear. I can live with that. Hope you all enjoy my new Django Reinhardt tribute where you’ll see me playing an ESP Kirk Hammett
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    If you remove a couple of fingers I will consider that a fair trade regarding your choice of guitar :)
  • kin said:
    If you remove a couple of fingers I will consider that a fair trade regarding your choice of guitar :)
    Just leave me with the ones I pick my nose and greet the Police with and it’s a done deal. 
  • Nobody has brought up the topic of wigs yet
  • Nobody has brought up the topic of wigs yet
    I couldn’t fit my hair under one!! Unless I shave my head I can only ever play Brian May. 
  • A Bay City Roller tribute  nearly auditioned for mentioned in the advert about wearing the gear and wigs
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    Nobody has brought up the topic of wigs yet
    Actually I mentioned wearing a wig. And makeup.
  • Assumed that was Friday night's down the pub and not with a band