MJW Amps Update Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    This one's not quite ready to ship, but I couldn't resist a quick preview!
    It's an L6-40 combo, which is 40W from 2x6L6, Marshall-ish preamp, but this is a single Blues mode amp, so think JTM45.
    It has Power Scaling, but otherwise is fairly simple, and the speaker is a G12M Creamback.
    The covering is brown alligator, which is complimented by grill cloth with a gold fleck,  and cream piping.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That denim blue looks absolutely beautiful! It wouldn't have been a choice for me in the past, but after seeing this I think I'd have gone for it for my Bantam if I'd known.

Oh well; he who dares, wins!

Great work as ever ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Thanks! :)

I've had a couple recently that have been unusual finishes, and it's nice to see how well they've worked out. I'm boring and rely on my customers to push the boundaries for me!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I seem to remember that you wanted to out-source the cab work when you (very wisely) started making amps again. Did you do that, or are you making them in-house as you did in the past?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I've outsourced it, to a very good cabinet maker. He's nearly as good as me! ;) :lol:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Possibly a silly question but I have no clue about these things and I’m in the market for a used Princeton Reverb reissue. 

Would someone like yourself make a PR type amp in the same ballpark price wise or would it be a case of doubling that? 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    tFB Trader
    Yes I can do a PR, and it would be a bit more than the Fender price, but probably less than you might expect.
    I can also do electronic clones with tweaks if you fancied something tailored.
    Drop me an email if you're interested.
    Cheers!
    martin@mjwamps.com

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Cheers Martin,

Will drop you a note before I buy anything.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    tFB Trader
    Prices go up on Monday.

Last chance at the old prices!  :)
    edited April 2019 tFB Trader
    I've been quite busy with Power Scaling installs and servicing/repairs, but here's a couple of builds done recently.

First is a Goldstar, lovely in Blonde with round cream knobs. This one has valve/spring reverb, but is otherwise standard.

I have Michael at Modulus to thank for the gold star in Goldstar!

Next is a Bantam. I haven't done one of these for a while, so it was great to build one again. This one is for Tom in Ireland. Completely standard, and it's the "British" preamp.

And of course these are true point-to-point:

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1012
    very nice
    “Ken sent me.”
    tFB Trader
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Nice!

I do like the updated styling on your current builds.

The leather handles and new font on the faceplate look really smart. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Beautiful work. That point to point wiring is pure quality. 
    tFB Trader
    CHrisP86 said:
    Nice!

I do like the updated styling on your current builds.

The leather handles and new font on the faceplate look really smart. 
    TheMarlin said:
    Beautiful work. That point to point wiring is pure quality. 
    Thanks!
  • Love the p2p wiring.  How do you find build time vs the equivalent turret build? It’s such a shame this is going to be hidden ... great job
    edited January 2020 tFB Trader
    Happy New Year everyone! Apologies for the copy and paste from my Facebook page. In case anyone hasn't seen it.

As you may have seen on the website, MJW Amplification is currently closed, and I have decided to formally cease trading with effect from 1st December 2019.
    Since the short break in 2017, and after relocating, it has been a fair bit quieter on the new builds side, coupled with very little service work in this neck of the woods.
    I no longer have the enthusiasm to reinvigorate the business, and this was very much a thing that ran on enthusiasm. Now seems like a good time to bow out and enter semi-retirement!

There are a very small number of amps still under warranty, and the owners of those have my contact details. My amps are mostly quite simple, so local techs should have no trouble with them, and I will still be able to provide support to techs if required, but I soon won't be able to do any serious work myself as I will be decommissioning my workshop (amplifier-wise) and selling remaining stock.

So, just over 12 years, 240 amps and cabs, thousands of repairs; who'd have thought it when I had various conversations with a work colleague (Joe P!) In 2006 followed by a redundancy that it would lead to this.

Thanks to everyone who has supported me with their custom and friendship over the years. All the very best for the future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 921
    Martin, sorry to read this, but you've made some outstanding amps while you've been in business. I'm still loving my Roadstar Custom (the red snakeskin amp at the top of the thread), and is one of the most user friendly amps I've ever owned - the power scaling is perfect for home use, but it really sings in a band context when wound up.

All the best to you in your semi-retirement.
  • Enjoy your semi retirement Martin.  I hope you still manage to find some time to check into the forum.
  • All the very best for the future, Martin, from a happy MJW customer. Hopefully whatever new direction you go in will not stop you from visiting the forum from time to time ;-)