Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The 'I sold a guitar I said I would never sell' thread

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
Post your 'keepers' that you swore you'd never sell but then did. Why did it go?

I haven't actually sold mine yet, but it will be going at some point in the future. Mine is my Feline Lion. It is a brilliant guitar, but as I have mentioned previously in other threads, since I stared making my own guitars a few years ago they are the only ones that I play. Sure, none of them are anything like the quality of the Feline, but there is a special attachment to a guitar that you have made with your own hands. As I made more (4 so far) other guitars got left behind. I'm in no rush at all to part with it, It will be a real wrench to see it go, but I'd rather someone play it than it sit unused.

Did you get rid of a keeper?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I always thought I’d keep my first proper electric. Only a westone thunder 1a, but a perfectly good guitar. Lots of sentimental attachment and memories.. Never played it for years. Started getting it out to play and rebond with it, but I just couldn’t get on with it. I was trying to raise funds for a good acoustic, so off it went.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    My '61 Gibson J-45. I still miss it. Sold because we needed a new car and I foolishly thought it was better to keep my Lowden O10, which was a better stage guitar as it had a pickup system and wasn't as fragile. I never liked the Lowden though, it just didn't suit me, and was also sold not that long afterwards when I got a cheap acoustic to use with the band. I should have done that in the first place and kept the Gibson.

'65 Fender Jaguar. I used it as my main guitar along with a Rickenbacker 360 for several years but sold them after my music style changed and I started using a PRS Standard 22.

PRS Standard 22 - used it for about seven years more or less exclusively. After the band I used it with broke up I went back to using Rickenbackers. Don't miss it at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• My early 70's Goldtop les paul deluxe, pancake body fitted with p90's, had to sell it to fund new windows, still have the origional mini humbucker tho'.

Also my early 90's Warwick walnut body b/o neck Thumb with chrome hardware, sold to help finance my 5 string headless  Sei .
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    My Blue Jem - we were suddenly in need of cash it seemed like the only way to quickly raise a chunk of cash.  It went way too cheap and I’d quite like it back.  

Not sold but another guitar I wish I could have back was my old blonde Tokai strat bought new in 1984 and stolen in 1989.  

My late father used to have a Mountain acoustic 12 string, 70s Made in Japan iirc and although it wasn’t mine I’d love to track it down as it has strong memories of him and saddens me that it was sold instead of being passed on.  

If anyone spots any of any of those I’d be very grateful.   
  • My 67 guild, sold it stupidly in 2012 the bought it back 2013,- 2017 traded it with Bridgehouse  for a Gibson  after about a year later realised that the only real acoustic I can fully gel with was the guild after going through 5 in the mean time so got back in contact and Mr House and collected it yesterday, it won't be happening again. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    My first proper guitar, a black Rickenbacker 330 jetglo, bought in 86/87, sold it to great irish songwriter/bass player called Paul, when I lived in Lewisham about 1992, if you're out there,  I need it back! 

• GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    My 79 Fretless Stingray bass, bought from Pino Palladino about 6 years ago and sold a couple of weeks ago. I love the sound. I like instruments with history. Ultimately, I couldn't get comfortable with the precision width neck, so either a pre cbs strat or another old custom colour jazz bass beckons. 
    http://i.imgur.com/gQtjngV.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    I generally make very sure I don't sell something I'll regret getting rid of, but messed up on this R7 Custom.

It appeared on this forum not long ago, but at the wrong time for me to buy it back.

I do regret that this isn't my pool, too - previous owner in Florida.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gretsch g6114 new jet in amber that I’d added a b3 to. Great guitar, sold it in Brighton must have been 2006/7. Sold it for a pittance in a desperate bid to stave off bankruptcy and have something to offer the banks. It worked, had a bit of negotiating room as a result and managed to over time put everything right. Miss that guitar though.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    sold to help finance my 5 string headless  Sei .
    Nice! I hankered after one of those for years. I finally got the chance to buy one secondhand about 8 years ago but I procrastinated for a moment and it went. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    Without a doubt my 61 fender custom shop tele. 3tsb with Brazilian rw board, light as a feather.  I stupidly let it go for 1500 as I thought I was doing the buyer a favour.  He immediately put it on ebay for 2500. Cretin....
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Fishboy7 said:
    Without a doubt my 61 fender custom shop tele. 3tsb with Brazilian rw board, light as a feather.  I stupidly let it go for 1500 as I thought I was doing the buyer a favour.  He immediately put it on ebay for 2500. Cretin....
    By 'cretin' I assume that you mean shrewd but very annoying businessman?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    edited December 2018
    My PRS Tremonti, swore I'd never sell it, and technically I didn't. Instead, I swapped it for a PRS P22.

After watching Mark Tremonti live last month, I definitely miss the Tremonti.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Definitely regret selling my Edwards Les Paul. Was better built than my current LP standard. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • I would bore everyone to death with the number that this applies to. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited December 2018
    My Pearl Les Paul Custom should have been a keeper. Very heavy but sounded amazing with either the Bare Knuckle Black Dogs or the humbucker size P90s I had in it and sustained forever. Sold to help fund my parts telemaster which I ended up getting rid of about a month later anyway. Stupid. I've now decided not to ever sell another guitar or amp unless I really never play it. Less bothered by pedals, they can come and go.
  • The Jazzmaster that’s just gone to @punchesjudy is definitely the best guitar I’ve ever let go. That one was a wrench.... but eyes on the prize - what’s coming in has been a long time waiting. 
  • @GavRichList Sorry 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    My Prs CE22. It was my main guitar for around 3 Or 4 years. Loved it dearly but we had a huge problem with finances because our solicitors messed up with the purchase of our flat. I had to sell to fund an unexpected invoice.

Never been upset about selling a guitar except for that time.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    axisus said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    By 'cretin' I assume that you mean shrewd but very annoying businessman?
    My first thought was that he was referring to himself, rather than the 'shrewd businessman'
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.