What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Jack Reacher, last night.   Never read the books so had no background to the character which i know for some caused them a problem having Tom cruise as the lead.  Didn't spoil it for me, thought it was very good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371

Jack Reacher, last night.   Never read the books so had no background to the character which i know for some caused them a problem having Tom cruise as the lead.  Didn't spoil it for me, thought it was very good.
    I watched it just wanting to enjoy the film (I have read all the books).
    I thought that Reacher's lack of height seemed to be an advantage when he was chucking people over his shoulder.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The Look of Love (Paul Raymond biopic) - Just OK. Period London is nicely done.

A movie I want to see: The documentary (just out on Dvd) about Neal Schon of Journey looking for a new singer for the band and finding one (in the Philippines) on Youtube.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    Koyaanisqatsi, on DVD.

Hadn't seen it for about 25 years... back then it seemed hypnotic and powerful. This time it seemed dated and pretentious. (And not just because a lot of the images are so clearly from the late 70s/early 80s.) Maybe the small screen doesn't do it justice, but I don't think it's just that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    I watched Finding Nemo in Bluray the other day... It's stunning...

I also watched and enjoyed Shoot 'em Up - a wonderously over-the-top and cheesy action film.  It's the sort of mindless action film Arnie would have done in the mid-80s - but with Clive Owen doing his pan-atlantic accent.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Not a movie but I watched Tom Dowd and the language of music on Netflix.  Highly recommended.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Cockneys Vs Zombies  typical zombie fillum, entertaining if you like zombie films, but set in east London, rather than LA/New York etc

The West ham/Millwall hooligan zombie "fight" is entertaining for the few seconds it lasts.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "Chernobyl Diaries"

Oh crumbs, it's dreadful.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Lixarto said:
    "Chernobyl Diaries"

Oh crumbs, it's dreadful.
    I hadn't heard of this but not have a voice saying "must watch, must watch"

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    "Now you see me" - Preposterous from beginning to end, even if you're a fan of Dynamo (the magician).
    My advice: don't see it.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

Strippers vs. Werewolfs.  1/10

how can film with a title that promises sooooo much be sooooo bad. Really really awful. Even the hotties prancing around in suspenders and high heels couldn't save it. Though of course I'll be watching it again.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    ddlooping;20732" said:
    "Now you see me" - Preposterous from beginning to end, even if you're a fan of Dynamo (the magician).

my son is a bit if a Dynamo fan. Why is it so bad?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    ddlooping said:
    I thought it was very enjoyable! Not very deep or believable but a strong cast, good plot and well paced.
    All practice and no theory
  • Alan Partridge Alpha Papa - loved it

Pacific Rim - was exactly as stupid as I thought it would be

Elysium - after really enjoying District 9 I was quite disappointed by this one. And what is going on with Jodie Foster's ADR?!

I just signed up for netflix so watched The Hobbit and despite all the average reviews I fully enjoyd it and will definitely be seeing the next one in the cinema.

"As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    edited August 2013
    ddlooping;20732" said:

If your son is fairly young he might be able to suspend his belief for the whole movie but wouldn't have understood much of it.
    If he's a bit grown up he might understand most of it but will laugh at what he's supposed to accept as facts. :)

P.S: if his name is dafuzz he'll find it very enjoyable (even if shallow and unbelievable). :D
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Unknown. Like "Taken" but with spies n stuff. It was ok. Liam Neeson just about saves it from being completely crap.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "Jarhead".

I enjoyed the book, and the film is fantastic. Recommended :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Lixarto;20863" said:
    "Jarhead".

I enjoyed the book, and the film is fantastic. Recommended :)
    Agreed. Probably the best thing Jake Gyllenhall has done.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    ddlooping;20803" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

ddlooping;20732" said:"Now you see me" - Preposterous from beginning to end, even if you're a fan of Dynamo (the magician).

If your son is fairly young he might be able to suspend his belief for the whole movie but wouldn't have understood much of it.

If he's a bit grown up he might understand most of it but will laugh at what he's supposed to accept as facts. :)

P.S: if his name is dafuzz he'll find it very enjoyable (even if shallow and unbelievable). :D
    the 17 year old son. His pleasure in watching tv or film is to find fault so he might enjoy it then.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    the 17 year old son. His pleasure in watching tv or film is to find fault so he might enjoy it then.
    Highly recommended, then. :)