THD Hotplate with FX loop

What's Hot
I wondered if anybody has tried modding a THD hotplate to include an effects loop? I would like to have something like the Badcat Unleash V2 but they are sold out and I reckon eye-wateringly expensive. My only other thought is maybe use the line out of a THD into an Xotic X-blender into a small class D-amp - that would more or less be what teh Unleash is doing I guess. Might be a bit cheaper. Note: I already have a hotplate!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    Just connect the line out of the Hotplate to your effects and then any other power amp, and set the Hotplate to silent, at which point it's a dummy load. You can't mod the Hotplate itself for an effects loop as there will be nothing to drive the speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    +1

The Hotplate device runs between the power amp stage and the loudspeaker(s). This is too late in the signal chain for adding audio effect treatments that require amplifying. The signal level will be inappropriate too.

For both recording and stage applications, the smart way to add effects would be via an Auxiliary send/return, either on a mixer or within your DAW. 
    Be seeing you.
  • Thanks for clarification. I wan't to add effects between pre and power amp so mixer/daw not an option. I'll probably try ICBMs sugegstion. I have a re-amper if needed to match line level to pedals.
  • Sorry, of course, THD would be post power amp but that would be OK with my Hiwatt as that will mean I will get the power amp distortion. My reverb pedal sound horrible through the Hiwatt when cranked as it is basically overdriven reverb. I could then either use a Class D into main cabinet or into a separate wet rig I guess. A one box solution would be nice but all expensive. Teh Bad Cat Unleash V2 looks good but can't even find any for sale in UK and expect it to be top £££.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    IME the line out of the Hotplate sounded poor.
    hywelg said:
    What did you connect it to? From what I remember it's simply a resistor-padded connection to the input - so it's just the unfiltered sound of the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• For what I need - an input to effects - it should be fine. 
    ICBM said:
    hywelg said:
    What did you connect it to? From what I remember it's simply a resistor-padded connection to the input - so it's just the unfiltered sound of the amp.
    PA. Sounded thin and horrible. Soon swapped to an e906
    hywelg said:

PA. Sounded thin and horrible.
    That's because there was no speaker emulation - don't blame the Hotplate. What you were hearing was the sound of the amp, but through a full-range speaker system. Any time you do that you need to use speaker emulation.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    hywelg said:

That's because there was no speaker emulation - don't blame the Hotplate. What you were hearing was the sound of the amp, but through a full-range speaker system. Any time you do that you need to use speaker emulation.
    Exactly. Hence why the Hotplate line out sounded poor and a mic was significantly  better.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    hywelg said:
    ICBM said:
    hywelg said:

Exactly. Hence why the Hotplate line out sounded poor and a mic was significantly  better.
    You’re totally missing the point. The Hotplate line out doesn't sound poor, it sounds exactly like the amp. In order to get a good sound through a PA from any amp - whether it’s via an attenuator or from a line out socket on the amp itself, which some have - you need speaker emulation.

If you connect a non-emulated line out to a PA and it sounds poor, don’t blame the gear.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom