Now NAD: EVH 5150 iii users talk to me :)

What's Hot

Comments

• darius said:
    I have the 50W (6L6 version)
    It is great. Built like a tank, 3 channels and all the gain you'll need. The LBXs are not the same, they are much less good. 
    But you say it's for the bedroom so unless you're attenuating you will struggle. They are bloody loud and you need to be up past '1' on the volume dial to get things sounding nice. 
    Thanks for the info buddy 

I should be ok for volume as I’m detached so I can crank it a little more :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a 6505+ which is basically the pre EVHii I think, and the red channel is all I need for massive chug territory!
    I did look at one of those and similar in price too 
    I got mine 2nd hand off eBay, the guy who was selling it was desperate to get rid having acquired an Axe FX. In the end I got it for half the RRP.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey, I’m a 5153 50w user. 
    Best amp I’ve ever had, and I’ve been through a few. 
    In fact it used to belong to ;

theres a volume jump between clean and channel 2 that can bother a few people, but seems to go away at gig volume, never noticed it myself except at bedroom settings. 
    The newer 50w’s have dual gain and volumes to help with this. 

Its a pretty tight amp, I’ve never needed a boost to get into djent territory, but mostly I use channel 2 (blue) gain at halfway (very high gain) and adjust the resonance control to get a nice thump. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Have found a 100w version at £550. Seems a great price 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bought it  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4287
    edited January 2019
    Arrived this morning and what a cracking amp. Slays the MT15 but then it should at it’s an £1800 amp

MXR 10 band EQ in the loop to tame some of the mids as it’s obviously very mid heavy and boom, unbelievable chugfest

Think I got a real bargain here 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I believe the term is "Pics or it didn't happen" ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiS said:
    I believe the term is "Pics or it didn't happen" ;)
    Haha of course 

Will fire one up once I’m home later :)
  • That’s the second bargain I’ve picked up in just over a week. The first being my Gibson Les Paul custom shop axcess at 1K

They good luck comes in threes so I’m wondering if a third bargain awaits 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s the second bargain I’ve picked up in just over a week. The first being my Gibson Les Paul custom shop axcess at 1K

They good luck comes in threes so I’m wondering if a third bargain awaits 
    If you now get offered a Helix for a fiver I’ll be really annoyed. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23942
    £550?

Ye gods that's a bargain!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • £550?

Ye gods that's a bargain!
    Yes £550. Crazy price 

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Blue channel is great and probably enough gain there for me anyway. Red channel is a chugging all the way 

Very happy :) 

• rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 823
    edited January 2019
    Great amps IMHO I gig my 100 all the time. Very versatile amp I use it for classic rock and it has plenty of balls! They come alive at gig volume! The 50 is pretty good too but has more gain. My 50 has been modded by Dan Gower to negate the volume drop between green and blue it’s plenty loud enough for gigs. Highly underrated amps.  Loops are very good too. Not tried the Mickey Mouse 15W version- I don’t do little amps!
  • Great amps IMHO I gig my 100 all the time. Very versatile amp I use it for classic rock and it has plenty of balls! They come alive at gig volume! The 50 is pretty good too but has more gain. My 50 has been modded by Dan Gower to negate the volume drop between green and blue it’s plenty loud enough for gigs. Highly underrated amps.  Loops are very good too. Not tried the Mickey Mouse 15W version- I don’t do little amps!
    There’s a resistor mod you can do to the 100w that gives you the equivalent of the 50w model gain on the blue channel so I’ll be doing that this week some time 
  • Also have the new Amptweaker depthfinder in the loop. The added resonance control makes a huge difference 
  • Great amps IMHO I gig my 100 all the time. Very versatile amp I use it for classic rock and it has plenty of balls! They come alive at gig volume! The 50 is pretty good too but has more gain. My 50 has been modded by Dan Gower to negate the volume drop between green and blue it’s plenty loud enough for gigs. Highly underrated amps.  Loops are very good too. Not tried the Mickey Mouse 15W version- I don’t do little amps!
    There’s a resistor mod you can do to the 100w that gives you the equivalent of the 50w model gain on the blue channel so I’ll be doing that this week some time 
    I like the fact that they are different- the 50 having more gain and the 100 having less. I actually prefer less!
    I like the fact that they are different- the 50 having more gain and the 100 having less. I actually prefer less!
    My Favourite channel is the blue for heavy rhythm passages but i would like the option of more gain like the 50w. I was actually looking to buy a 50w however the 100w came up used for £550 so was too good to turn down at that price
  • That's interesting about the gain, I tried out a 50w 5150 and I liked the features and size,  but it had too much gain for me, which meant I couldn't really get the sounds I wanted out of it as I just couldn't dial it in,