NGD - Yamaha SG

What's Hot
fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
I scored a late 90s Yamaha SG700S for a steal to use as a backup hardtail.  I think it looks great and it plays like a dream.  Raucous pickups with quite a thick tone when playing solos, usable coil taps although not fendery spanky sparkle of course, no hum or crackling, good weight, medium neck, plenty of life left in the frets and seems to be very stable with tuning.  I'm pretty impressed with it so far.  As for being a backup guitar, I might have to take it out for a spin one gig to see how it holds up.

Lol, I made a thing...tongue in cheek...;)

2reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    I like that.  I wish it was your version that my daughters had subjected me to so much...

Gotta love a Yammie SG. I miss my heavy old 1000

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    McToot said:
    I like that.  I wish it was your version that my daughters had subjected me to so much...

Gotta love a Yammie SG. I miss my heavy old 1000
    Yeah it's more fun when there's squeaks and chugging going on.  Gigging this in a couple of weeks, bet the crowd will love it :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You Sir are putting a good GAS to good use :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Oooh, dat nice!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2913
    Congrats. I had an SG700 back in the late 70s - lovely guitar, even if it was brown... 

I wasn't familiar with the SG700s - quite distinctive with the block inlays. Have fun gigging it! ;)
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited January 2019
    Nice playing!,, Had a few SG's  200/450/2000/21000, always fancied an original early 80's  Black 'chunky'/round necked MIJ SG 1000S,
    Only drawback is they are usually Very heavy! - 1000/2000/21000 etc
    @Doug ; this one seems the perfect weight.  Its more sold than my Gibson sg giving a reassuring feeling of sustain,  but it's not nearly heavy enough to give me any trouble as a gig.  Seems ideal.  I'm really pleasantly surprised by how good it is. 
    @Bigsby this is my first Yamaha sg and honestly it is impressive.   I'm now curious what the higher end versions are like. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    @Bigsby this is my first Yamaha sg and honestly it is impressive.   I'm now curious what the higher end versions are like. 
    Better ;)

My SG 3000:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @robinbowes that looks quality.  How does it sound? 
    edited January 2019
    It sounds great.

It doesn't get much use at the moment - I mostly play an SA2200 or SA2000S, plus a Tele and a Strat as they suit my band more.

R.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I scored a late 90s Yamaha SG700S for a steal to use as a backup hardtail.  I think it looks great and it plays like a dream.  Raucous pickups with quite a thick tone when playing solos, usable coil taps although not fendery spanky sparkle of course, no hum or crackling, good weight, medium neck, plenty of life left in the frets and seems to be very stable with tuning.  I'm pretty impressed with it so far.  As for being a backup guitar, I might have to take it out for a spin one gig to see how it holds up.

Lol, I made a thing...tongue in cheek...;)

Sounds good my wife liked it to :)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Luvverly 

HNGD!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2913
    I think they're impressive at every level - it's just a shame that these days they're only available in the higher price bracket. I got lucky a couple of years ago and grabbed a bargain SG1802 - the P90s work so well with the SG design, and the build quality if frankly better than anything else I've ever owned. Flawless.

Back in the early 80s Yamaha SGs were cropping up everywhere - and that was just down to the quality, they didn't have the rock'n'roll history of Gibson. I think it was just the strength of the Yen, and the rising labour costs in Japan that finished them off.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bigsby said:

I really want one of these!

R. 
  • @Bigsby this is my first Yamaha sg and honestly it is impressive.   I'm now curious what the higher end versions are like. 
    'kin excellent :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself