H7's Latest Project (Pic Heavy).

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
edited January 2019 in Guitar

A few days ago, I dug out the carcass of an old Godwin organ guitar. At some point in the dim and distant past, a previous owner stripped out all of the (presumably faulty) organ innards and configured it as a standard guitar.

As you can see from the pics, they fortuitously left the fingerboard loom in place. Each fret (like the SynthAxe) is actually a composite of six separate sections, each effectively functioning as an individual switch.

I’ve been meaning to do something with this for ages and I think now is the time...

The first step will be to remove the neck and loom in order to assess the state of the wiring and get to grips with working out/documenting the fret matrix.
Unfortunately, some of the (remaining) wiring looks to have been hacked and access isn't great through the rear panel. Luckily, the neck is bolt-on, so it's very easy to remove.

Wiring diagrams/colour coding charts aren't easy to come by, so I figured having the neck/loom on the bench is the easiest option.

Precisely what I’ll end up shoehorning into the body synth-wise isn’t clear yet, so any suggestions will be gratefully received. I’m also liking the idea of some kind of onboard multi-effects.

To start the ball rolling - and thanks to the exceptional generosity of @thecolourbox, I now have a MicroKORG XL to add to the mix.

I've no idea how/where this is going to end up, but I think there's huge scope for being inventive with the fret matrix and (repurposing) the original controls. I'm also interested in the possibilities of SoftPot membrane potentiometers...

So...all thoughts, (hopefully polite/helpful) suggestions or whatever gratefully appreciated!

Oh, and if anyone knows anything re. the location of an alive/dead complete/incomplete Godwin/Sisme, Vox, etc Guitar Organ, I'm all ears...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You're very welcome H7, glad to free up the Spare Oom real estate to be honest and it sounds like an interesting project 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I haven't got the slightest idea how you should reconfigure it, I don't understand it at all. 

But it's an amazing looking thing - inside and out - and I'd love to know what it sounded like and what all those switches actually did when they were working!
  • Wow! That looks complicated but it’s a cool looking guitar, if all else fails it would make an interesting looking conventional passive pickup guitar.
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    I had a MicroKorg synth and vocoder years ago. It was a truly brilliant machine. I wish I still had it.

Good luck with the project!
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Q would be proud of you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Great project! I wouldn't know where to start on something like this.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    Amazing. Looks like they fret the neck normally, saw along the length of the entire neck, and fill the gaps with plastic strips. My mind boggles at the wiring involved for what is basically a 126 pole switch!
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    Were you not interested in the Bond Electraglide which recently came up for sale in the classifieds?

No doubt you already have at least one!! ;)
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    I've never seen one of those, ever.  Looks like an amazing thing.  Wouldn't know where to start.
    Many years ago a sold my first car to buy a Korg Z3 guitar synth.  It was great, even used it live for a good while before the hexa pickup started playing up (not really up to gigging despite careful handling where possible.
    Only last week I realised there was a modern hexa pickup with a bluetooth connection that could be used to play plug in synths and the like available for about £350!!!! Might pick one up just for a laugh and old times sake.
    I can't wait to see what you do with your organ guitar though.  Fascinating stuff.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    jdgm said:
    Were you not interested in the Bond Electraglide which recently came up for sale in the classifieds?

No doubt you already have at least one!! ;)
    2 actually! ;)

Plus, most of the ones I’ve come across have only been a fraction of that asking price...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4946
    @HarrySeven, a few months ago I saw one of those, or very similar, in the window of SomeNeckGuitars in Dublin. No idea if they still have it but a phone call or an email might bring results. BTW it looks frighteningly complex internally and externally but good luck with the project, I am looking forward to seeing what emerges at the end....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14032
    tFB Trader
    sorry I can't help H7 but it does look cool - almost a labour of love job, or find out as you go along
    sorry I can't help H7 but it does look cool - almost a labour of love job, or find out as you go along
    Bit of both! ;)

Rocker said:
    @HarrySeven, a few months ago I saw one of those, or very similar, in the window of SomeNeckGuitars in Dublin. No idea if they still have it but a phone call or an email might bring results. BTW it looks frighteningly complex internally and externally but good luck with the project, I am looking forward to seeing what emerges at the end....
    Oooooo! Cheers for the lead... :)

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    HarrySeven said:
    Precisely what I’ll end up shoehorning into the body synth-wise isn’t clear yet, so any suggestions will be gratefully received. I’m also liking the idea of some kind of onboard multi-effects. 
    https://shop.littlebits.com/products/littlebits-electronic-music-inventor-kit

Philly_Q said:
    I'd love to know what it sounded like and what all those switches actually did when they were working!
    Joseph Pugol (Le Pètomane)

Be seeing you.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Mods-

Purleese- we don't need yet another bloody Godwin Guitar Organ build thread.....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    Philly_Q said:
    I'd love to know what it sounded like and what all those switches actually did when they were working!
    Joseph Pugol (Le Pètomane)

Oh ye of little faith! grin 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Gassage said:
    we don't need yet another bloody Godwin Guitar Organ build thread.
    Don't worry. It's not going to happen. Not least because, if the electronical gubbins were ever fully reinstated, it would take two steroid-enhanced roadies to lift the thing. :-p
    Be seeing you.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    @HarrySeven if you can shoehorn a MicroKorg in to a guitar and make it properly playable, then put me top of the buyers list.
    Or just make me another one cos it's always easier second time around!
    Cheers.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    I'm off tyh
    Gassage said:
    we don't need yet another bloody Godwin Guitar Organ build thread.
    Don't worry. It's not going to happen. Not least because, if the electronical gubbins were ever fully reinstated, it would take two steroid-enhanced roadies to lift the thing. :-p
    H should have his own version of Wheeler Dealers

Winger Stringers.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.