Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UK based guitar makers

What's Hot
Can anyone recommend a UK based acoustic builder? I'm looking to buy something with a bit more quality than I'm used to, around the £2500-£3000 (max) mark and wondered if there's any recommendations? I'm just browsing at the moment to weigh up options. So far Brook and Atkin seem very appealing. Any other makers that I should be aware of?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I own a Brook Taw. An interesting thing about it is that it's not very pretty or particularly ornamental. It just sounds great and is nice to play. So if you're looking for wow factor as a player, it might tick the boxes for you, or not. If you like a fat Lowden neck, for example, you might not like the thin Brook one. If you're looking for it to look special or expensive, it probably won't. 

Lowden is also in the UK. They sound lovely too. 

At last years guitar show in Birmingham, I played a Turnstone which really did it for me. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/125932/turnstone-at-the-guitar-show-2018#latest

I'd love something like that one day...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Apart from the two you have mentioned above, I've played guitars from Moon, Fylde, Northworthy, Turnstone, and David Anthony Reid.

Turnstone and David Anthony Reid were both absolutely stunning but probably outside of a £3k budget.

The Moons I've played were very variable.  I played one dreadnought that is one of the best I've ever played, but I've played 4 or 5 others that were very underwhelming.

Fylde have a good reputation, but I didn't love the ones I've played.

I've only played one Northworthy, and that was very nice.

If I was in the market at the moment I'd probably go Atkin or Brook.  A Brook would have to be a custom order though, as I can't get on with their normal neck profile and fingerboard radius.  They have a very flat radius and shallow neck as standard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I agree about the Brook. They sound nice but the necks are far too skinny for me. I was underwhelmed with the Moon. I tried them both in the same shop and decided to look elsewhere. 

Tom Waghorn in Bristol is another option. He’s such a nice guy. I tried on of his older builds, 10 years old I think. Spruce and walnut and it was superb. 

never have I tried an Atkin but who’s heard a bad thing about them? Nobody 
    the Fourty Three looks incredible 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    Millman Guitars in Bideford,  basic looking, superb playing and sounding acoustics...check him out under the radar just now but great builder
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Those Millman guitars look interesting. Very interesting. The pyramid bridge got me.
    Do you know the price point?
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Dave King does fine work.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    @Andy79 ; seeing him on Monday so will ask...great guitars though, I own a j45ish type guitar with a walnut back and sides, amazing sounding straight away.and has only got better..this guy can make guitars as good sounding as pretty much anyone IMO..i think they would be at the lower end of your budget though depending on woods etc.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    Richard Meyrick in Abergavenny.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Kinkade Guitars in Bristol. Johnny's been making nearly 40 years and does some great models. Inside your budget too. 
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited January 2019
    https://www.taranguitars.co.uk/therange/ 

Prices above your limit, but worth checking pre-owned - unless your specs are very unusual.

Think I last saw one on Acoustic Soundboard.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    One other option is to go to the Guitar Show in Birmingham in February.  There will probably be some small builders there, and you can talk to them.  If you can wait to the autumn, I think the Olympia show in London is happening again this year.  There were probably 6 or 8 builders there, including Alister Atkin.
  • The best guitar I’ve ever played? A Taran.
    https://www.taranguitars.co.uk/

If I ever win the lottery, this is what I’ll buy (plus a feline lion cub). 
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    Avalon Guitars
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • Three years ago I was GAS 'ing for a J45 and after discounting a vintage one  as I'd just moved up North and didn't know any techs up here if a vintage one needed work. Therefore I was looking heavily towards the Atkin Banner inspired J45 'the '43'. After contacting them by e-mail Alister Atkin was kind enough to spend over an hour the next day talking on the phone about guitars. Learned a lot just talking to the man. They had one just finished in the workshop which I pulled the trigger on. Three years later it's probably the best acoustic I've ever owned. Very happy with it. Has all the feel, looks and sound of one made in Kalamazoo years ago but makes me happy that inside the soundhole the label says 'Handmade in the UK'  Just my perspective, from a happy owner. :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would definitely try one of the Atkin guitars...Alister is really serious about developing authentic and great sounding guitars. His range is easy to understand and the sound is immense.
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 365
    I was in Forsyth's music shop in Manchester not long back and wondered why they no longer stock Fylde guitars, the shop assistant (who has been there years) told me that Fylde don't need to send them any guitars because their order book has a backlog, he said it was a shame they don't have any because in his opinion they are the finest made guitars in the UK (they do stock Atkins though) .
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 222
    icu81b4 said:
     because in his opinion they are the finest made guitars in the UK.
    haha; yeah, tell that to Ralph Bown, Stefan Sobell, Rory Dowling or Tom Sands. And a few others.

I've had had instruments from all of those and three Fyldes over the years; only contest is price - Fyldes can be picked up pretty cheap relative to that lot. Don't get me wrong, Fylde are good guitars but "finest made guitars in the UK"?

At the OPs max of 3K, I'd go looking used; it's a buyers market out there at the moment. If you're lucky, 3K will land you a sole luthier guitar that will blow away most from the small shop makers. I sold a Forster on here for just 1.5k last year (Nigel's gone to Australia so not "UK based" anymore), and a Taran for 2.5K a few years ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 222
    ...or head down to TAMCO in Brighton; Trevor has had a mental sale on and there are some serious guitars there for a fraction of their previous prices, and maybe some deals to be done as well. The Fischer and Beneteau are close to your budget; the padauk Benetau is a steal. Not UK, but sole luthier, built with care by someone who knows what he's doing.