Anyone ordered a Custom Shop Fender?

What's Hot

Comments

• GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    Bravewood is an alternative worth considering. I have a 62 spec, Brazillian slab board one. Fabulous, hand made and inexplicably inexpensive, if you don't mind a clone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    terada said:
    If you want nos and a 7.25 radius, don’t rule out a 62 AVRI etc. 

Stunning instruments. 
    ^^^
    This.

At least with a ready made guitar you can pick and choose. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Neil said:
    terada said:
    If you want nos and a 7.25 radius, don’t rule out a 62 AVRI etc. 

Stunning instruments. 
    ^^^
    This.

At least with a ready made guitar you can pick and choose. 

Apart from the fact they don't make it any more.  The American Original has replaced it but is 9.5" radius.

The Mexican made Classic Series is the only vintage spec Strat in the range these days.  The Classic Series are very good guitars, and there is a lacquer version with a nitro finish, although I think that is only in one colour.  If you can find a really good one, it won't be that far short of a Custom Shop guitar with some better pickups.

There is still a market for a nice shiny NOS 7.25" radius guitar.  PRS proved that with the Silver Sky.  By all accounts, they  couldn't make them fast enough when they first released it.  Also, I think there are at least 3 of us in this thread who have said that is our preferred spec.  I've got a really good AVRI 62 and a Classic Series 50s so I probably won't be buying another, although if I came into a very large amount of money I might get a high end maple board Strat.  I wouldn't order a CS guitar I couldn't try first though, so I'd be stuck with what most dealers currently stock.  Maybe PRS will release a maple board version of the Silver Sky.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    There is a Strat from Fender Japan currently available with a 7.25” radius... 

https://www.guitar.co.uk/fender-made-in-japan-traditional-60s-stratocaster-candy-tangerine-rosewood

(Other colours may be available!)
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited January 2019
    Whitecat said:

https://www.guitar.co.uk/fender-made-in-japan-traditional-60s-stratocaster-candy-tangerine-rosewood

Wow, that's a bit overpiced for what appears to be a basswood ceramic pickup MIJ. The Mexican Classic series would be a better bet at that price range.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

There is still a market for a nice shiny NOS 7.25" radius guitar.  PRS proved that with the Silver Sky.  By all accounts, they  couldn't make them fast enough when they first released it.  Also, I think there are at least 3 of us in this thread who have said that is our preferred spec.  I've got a really good AVRI 62 and a Classic Series 50s so I probably won't be buying another, although if I came into a very large amount of money I might get a high end maple board Strat.  I wouldn't order a CS guitar I couldn't try first though, so I'd be stuck with what most dealers currently stock.  Maybe PRS will release a maple board version of the Silver Sky.

valid comments about the 7.25" - in an ideal world, what fret size would you go for - surely not vintage/small - Clapton is one of the few pros that I know of that still prefers vintage frets - Models like the Landau Strat have a 7.25" radius, but use 6105 frets

Maybe I should order a few - but 6 months order time for me - But then NOS or Journeyman finish - Which colour - which pick-ups and which neck - Classic order now would be 60's C or 65 neck - 6105 frets - some hand wound pick-ups (maybe 63's) - Journeyman Relic and a choice of colours
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Octafish said:
    Whitecat said:

Wow, that's a bit overpiced for what appears to be a basswood ceramic pickup MIJ. The Mexican Classic series would be a better bet at that price range.
    Funnily enough the MIJ “Hybrid” version of same guitar has an alder body and US-wound pickups, and it’s the same price, but has a modern radius...
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    edited January 2019
    I appreciate all the responses.

So weirdly enough, the Strat of my dreams was basically on my doorstep and I didn't even know it.

Thanks to a friendly nudge from @barnstorm , he pointed out a Custom Shop Strat that had the specs I wanted, in the colour combination that I wanted. Picked it up today and I'm delighted. I'd have never have known if it wasn't for @barnstorm , so for that I'll forever be indebted to him. I really am due you one!

NGD post tomorrow.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    Kylef said:
    I appreciate all the responses.

So weirdly enough, the Strat of my dreams was basically on my doorstep and I didn't even know it.

Thanks to a friendly nudge from @barnstorm , he pointed out a Custom Shop Strat that had the specs I wanted, in the colour combination that I wanted. Picked it up today and I'm delighted. I'd have never have known if it wasn't for @barnstorm , so for that I'll forever be indebted to him. I really am due you one!

NGD post tomorrow.
    Great news! So where did you get the guitar, dealer or private?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

valid comments about the 7.25" - in an ideal world, what fret size would you go for - surely not vintage/small - Clapton is one of the few pros that I know of that still prefers vintage frets - Models like the Landau Strat have a 7.25" radius, but use 6105 frets

I'm actually thinking about frets.  My AVRI is shortly going to need a refret.  I don't mind the vintage wire, but I'll probably go for something a bit bigger.  I definitely don't like the really huge jumbo frets though.  I had a Custom Shop Tele with huge frets and I didn't get on with it at all.

I don't know what all the different numbers that Dunlop use for their fretwire mean, but get on fine with whatever size PRS use.  The frets on the American Original series look like they may be ok, but I haven't tried one yet.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    edited January 2019
    crunchman said:

I don't know what all the different numbers that Dunlop use for their fretwire mean, but get on fine with whatever size PRS use.
    I may be wrong, but I believe PRS generally use 6150, not to be confused with those dreadful tall, narrow 6105s.
    tFB Trader
    Brize said:
    crunchman said:

I don't know what all the different numbers that Dunlop use for their fretwire mean, but get on fine with whatever size PRS use.
    I may be wrong, but I believe PRS generally use 6150, not to be confused with those dreadful tall, narrow 6105s.
    correct - PRS are effectively a 6150
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited January 2019
    By the way - ALL Fender Custom Shop Guitars are now custom ordered - Fender no longer carry any stock in the USA, EU or UK warehouse , or any other warehouse

So from now on-wards, all stock on a dealers wall will either be :- 

Created from the 'Custom Shop Spec Sheet' - http://www.fendercustomshop.com/how-to-order/

Ordered via the models available and listed as part of the 2019  Collection

Ordered via Limited Edition runs as per the NAMM Show etc
    I've only just got round to looking at that 2018 Design Guide.  Good fun looking through the specs and it's nice to see all the different neck measurements, pickup details etc.

I'm a bit disappointed to see there are no '70s Strats or Teles included in the base models.
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    By the way - ALL Fender Custom Shop Guitars are now custom ordered - Fender no longer carry any stock in the USA, EU or UK warehouse , or any other warehouse

So from now on-wards, all stock on a dealers wall will either be :- 

Created from the 'Custom Shop Spec Sheet' - http://www.fendercustomshop.com/how-to-order/

Ordered via the models available and listed as part of the 2019  Collection

Ordered via Limited Edition runs as per the NAMM Show etc
    I've only just got rounding to looking at that 2018 Design Guide.  Good fun looking through the specs and it's nice to see all the different neck measurements, pickup details etc.

I'm a bit disappointed to see there are no '70s Strats or Teles included in the base models.
    yup, they never listed p/up info before regarding windings, magnets etc 

I know one or two options are available that aren't listed, based on guitars I know they have built - Can get a 70's based Strat, based on previous models, but can't recall a 70's Tele - Part of me thinks it is because a CS would work out more than an original model, especially anything built after '74' - albeit the CS should be better built - On that basis part of me say's buy a good 70's and customise accordingly, as required
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I know one or two options are available that aren't listed, based on guitars I know they have built - Can get a 70's based Strat, based on previous models, but can't recall a 70's Tele - Part of me thinks it is because a CS would work out more than an original model, especially anything built after '74' - albeit the CS should be better built - On that basis part of me say's buy a good 70's and customise accordingly, as required
    Mine - ordered about 3 years ago - is based on a '71 spec, but I don't know if that was an option at the time and no longer offered, or if they were able to do it as a special.

I take your point about the price being more than a '70s original, but I just wanted the '70s look with none of the drawbacks - I had no wish at all to go round trying dozens of real '70s Strats in the hope of finding a good one which didn't weigh more than me.  :)
  • I ordered a custom shop tele through Anderson's about 2 years ago, based on an early 60s model. It cost me about £2199 at the time but I think prices have inflated since then and you're probably looking at around £3000. Download the custom shop spec sheet from the fender site, fill it in and email it to a dealer. They'll likely have a response for you in a few days.
    i haven't looked at CS Fender for ages. Sold my 56 Relic for £1200 a few years back. What a bargain that seems now!! Wow prices have shot up
  • crunchman said:

I'm actually thinking about frets.  My AVRI is shortly going to need a refret.  I don't mind the vintage wire, but I'll probably go for something a bit bigger.  I definitely don't like the really huge jumbo frets though.  I had a Custom Shop Tele with huge frets and I didn't get on with it at all.

I don't know what all the different numbers that Dunlop use for their fretwire mean, but get on fine with whatever size PRS use.  The frets on the American Original series look like they may be ok, but I haven't tried one yet.
    I reckon you'd like 6155 frets on there - I have two Ashers and a 335 that have them (actually the Jescar equivalent) and I really like them, to the point I've ordered them for a custom build too.

I'm pretty sure PRS use 6155 wire, and actually I think they now use Jescar frets too.
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Mine - ordered about 3 years ago - is based on a '71 spec, but I don't know if that was an option at the time and no longer offered, or if they were able to do it as a special.

I take your point about the price being more than a '70s original, but I just wanted the '70s look with none of the drawbacks - I had no wish at all to go round trying dozens of real '70s Strats in the hope of finding a good one which didn't weigh more than me.  :)
    I'd have to ask, but assume if they have built a 71 Strat in the past, then they can do it again today - Whilst that order form is fairly comprehensive I know there are other variations available outside this format - In short if they have the template from the past and parts are still available then it can be done
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2329
    I ordered a custom shop tele through Anderson's about 2 years ago, based on an early 60s model. It cost me about £2199 at the time but I think prices have inflated since then and you're probably looking at around £3000. Download the custom shop spec sheet from the fender site, fill it in and email it to a dealer. They'll likely have a response for you in a few days.
    i haven't looked at CS Fender for ages. Sold my 56 Relic for £1200 a few years back. What a bargain that seems now!! Wow prices have shot up
    Yep, the days of £1200 Custom Shop guitars have pretty much gone now......but still you do see the odd bargain about. 
    (Cue shamless plug for @guitars4you ; '55 Strat) This has been reduced for a few days now, can't believe no one had snapped it up. Must be the only sub £2k new CS Strat on sale right now....

https://www.guitars4you.co.uk/guitars/5563-fender-custom-shop-vintage-custom-55-strat-wide-fade-sunburst/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom