What are you reading at the moment?

What's Hot

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I'm reading a book with the amazing title of Astrology & The Third Reich.

It's much less trashy than that sounds, and actually very interesting -- a history of astrology from the 18th Century onwards which tries to explain why it was so hugely popular in Germany in the 30s and 40s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    PhilW1 said:
    I don’t know if these have been mentioned already but three I really enjoyed and the only books I’ve read more than once are 
    Catch 22
    One flew over the cuckoos nest and 
    To kill a mocking bird
    To Kill a Mockingbird was ruined for me by English Literature O Level " although I have the idea I should read it for pleasure one day. 

* sort of GCSES for cave men. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 458
    Just finished Walter Isaacson’s biography of Da Vinci - brilliant, as is his one on Steve Jobs.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    Just finished Crime & Punishment last week, which I really liked, if a little depressing at times. And for a complete change, have just started Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton, as I have never really read any sci-fi (aside from Dune and maybe a couple of other rubbish ones). Bought one of his other books in a charity shop, but decided this one might be a better place to start.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    edited January 2019
    Just finished Sourdough by Robin Sloan.

Next up is Into the wild by John Krakauer.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    "The Big Midweek" By Steve Hanley, the story of his 20yrs as bass player with The Fall, most entertaining it is too.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • The Bedlam Stacks by Natasha Pulley
  • ShmooShmoo Frets: 109
    Steve Lukather's autobiography "The Gospel According to Luke."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Recently finished Selina Hastings's biography of Rosamond Lehmann.  Fabulously colourful life and a fun read.

Now reading Penelope Fitzgerald's Human Voices.  Set among BBC employees during the second world war.  It's the fourth novel by her I've read and so far (about 2/3 in) the most enjoyable.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    d8m said:

Next up is Into the wild by John Krakauer.

Great film, preferred it to the book, which left me a bit 'meh'.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    Dave Hill - So Here It Is. Autobiography from the Slade guitarist. Very readable but not quite in the same league as, say, the Johnny Marr or Wilko Johnson books. Still pretty good though.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    As a huge Douglas Adams fan I started reading Eoin Colfer’s official next Hitch-Hiker’s Guide To The Galaxy novel And Another Thing.
    I rarely give up on books, but 200 pages in (just over half way) and I’ve just put it down in disappointment. It’s not funny. It’s tedious. It has no plot. He misses the mark of the central characters. Utter crap. No wonder it’s sat on my shelf for five years - I must’ve had a premonition.
    Any other Adams fans read this? Is it just me, or is it crap?
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Mr Godley's Phantom. Mal Peet's posthumously released last novel about a demobbed soldier trying to cope with the horrors of war he witnessed. A small book but a bit of a masterpiece really.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Guitarist, HiFi news, and Private Eye. ie The Usual.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    Currently working my way through John Le Carré's Karla trilogy (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Honourable Schoolboy, Smiley's People). Superb.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Recently read The Lark Ascending by Richard King,  an exploration of how Britain's history and identity has been shaped by the relationship between its people, its music and the landscape. Fairly diverse references from Folk music through to Boards of Canada ambient.

Just finished The legend of the Holy Drinker by Joseph Roth, really good little Novella with an excellent translation by Michael Hoffman. A bit bleak as Joseph Roth pretty much drank himself into the grave in Paris just after finishing this book.

There is a Dennis Johnson shaped hole in my reading life since he passed away in 2017, which is still fairly hard to fill though.
    If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• AlexC said:
    As a huge Douglas Adams fan I started reading Eoin Colfer’s official next Hitch-Hiker’s Guide To The Galaxy novel And Another Thing.
    I rarely give up on books, but 200 pages in (just over half way) and I’ve just put it down in disappointment. It’s not funny. It’s tedious. It has no plot. He misses the mark of the central characters. Utter crap. No wonder it’s sat on my shelf for five years - I must’ve had a premonition.
    Any other Adams fans read this? Is it just me, or is it crap?
    Didn't know it existed, glad I didn't try it, thanks for the heads up.

Currently in the middle of Sarah Lotze's The Three - it's a bit odd and getting bleaker.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell.

Popular psychology I guess but full of interesting asides. For those of us who have been talking to strangers professionally at all ( particularly strangers who might have reason to lie) thought provoking stuff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited October 2019
    Nothing highbrow, but I have been reading through all the Jack Reacher books, in order.  Currently on book 23, Past Tense, and book 24, Blue Moon, has just been published.  Then I'll have to find something new.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Just finished the first of Conn Iggulden’s Julius Caesar series. Really enjoyed it... it’s all historically accurate but he makes it into a great yarn.

Starting the Eric Clapton autobio next. I’m not much of a fan of his later music but I’m interested to read about his early days with John Mayall and Cream, meeting Hendrix, how he beat his addiction etc.