Nacho Guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• From reading it’s same as Danocaster good relic and great end result but it is just bought in parts assembled. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9263
    From reading it’s same as Danocaster good relic and great end result but it is just bought in parts assembled. 
    I’m sure Nacho would be honest if you asked, but from what I’ve read on tdpri, these are hand built from start to finish. The neck carves are apparently pretty unique.
    Regardless though, the thing that sets these apart is the quality of ageing. The pictures I’ve seen look exactly like the blackguards in Nacho’s book. He seems to have got the technique of the paint sinking in, which I’ve not seen anyone else replicate.
    The thing that’s always made me gas for one is that some seriously talented pros who are blackguard owners have been hugely complimentary about the work Nacho has done.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    From reading it’s same as Danocaster good relic and great end result but it is just bought in parts assembled. 
    You make it sound so easy ;) but no, it’s not done this way
  • How much is an original blackguard?

its a lot of money but I’m guessing a fraction of the cost of original. I bet it has the same feel, tone and Mojo about these Nacho’s.

i really want! 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2361
    How much is an original blackguard?

its a lot of money but I’m guessing a fraction of the cost of original. I bet it has the same feel, tone and Mojo about these Nacho’s.

i really want! 
    A real blackguard Tele would cost you circa £25k+ so yes at £6k+ these are a quarter of that, but even by Nacho's own admission they don't have the same feel as an original. He's very open about this, its in an interview with him online.
     I'd guess also with 6015 frets and a 9.5" radius they are unlikely too either. I've played both and whilst the Nacho was a great great Tele, it still sounded to me like a new guitar. I've played a number of old 50's Tele's and they have a thing of their own going on that no one has been able to duplicate yet with a new one. 
    Carson Hess makes incredible replica's too, would love to play one of his. 

• So I emailed him and I was totally wrong. 

“the wood is cut using CNC programs which we created. Final shaping is done by hand. Some parts like pots are custom made for us. We make our own jack cups, string trees, string ferrules, and knobs. We wind our own pickups. We cut our own pick guards. I’m running a small guitar factory I don’t work by myself I have people working for me who do things the way I like. Bridge plates, strap buttons and tuners are sourced from vendors.”

Now I want one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So I emailed him and I was totally wrong. 

“the wood is cut using CNC programs which we created. Final shaping is done by hand. Some parts like pots are custom made for us. We make our own jack cups, string trees, string ferrules, and knobs. We wind our own pickups. We cut our own pick guards. I’m running a small guitar factory I don’t work by myself I have people working for me who do things the way I like. Bridge plates, strap buttons and tuners are sourced from vendors.”

Now I want one
    This is a good interview with all the detail you need. Most one man companies don't cut their own bodies or necks, they just have them made to thier own specs. SVL don't yet they are legendary. Joseph Kaye does his here in the UK. Rutters guitars cut from raw timber and machine their hardware.

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/columns/bench-press-ignacio-banos-nachoguitars/
    lonestar said:
    Nacho only releases about a dozen guitars every few months. There’s no shortage of punters although he has said he won’t continue building for much longer. 

The attention to detail is above and beyond anything the custom shop at fender would ever be able to do. The guys at the CS have got a certain amount of time to churn their work out, Nacho can do what he wants. 

dean111music said:
    Anyone heard of these? 

I always loved Julian Lage Telecaster that he has been using for a while. I genuinely thought it was a vintage fender but recently found out that Nacho Guitars built it for him.

http://www.nachoguitars.com/pressvideos/
    https://www.instagram.com/jlage/

I'm not to sure on cost for one of these. But they look on par with Dancasters.

I think Julian did tour with a Danocaster previously so looks likes he has taken more to this one. 

There are a lot of companies that relic guitars and all the UK companies on here look amazing but to get a guitar to look, play and feel like a real vintage tele must be hard?

A donacaster wouldn’t come close in terms of historical accuracy compared with nachos work although both are lovely looking instruments in their own rights.
    thanks!

So he builds blackguards as close to original. vintage frets and vintage frets, baseball bat neck etc?

Blackguards didn’t have baseball bat necks. They’re big, but typically soft v shape. Fender’s baja or 56 v is probably closer than the u shaped necks Fender use. I’m sure I read that nacho had spoken to Fender about how their necks weren’t correct, but they weren’t interested. A lot of the blackguards, especially early, had 9.5 radius as well. 
  • chris78 said:
    lonestar said:
    Nacho only releases about a dozen guitars every few months. There’s no shortage of punters although he has said he won’t continue building for much longer. 

The attention to detail is above and beyond anything the custom shop at fender would ever be able to do. The guys at the CS have got a certain amount of time to churn their work out, Nacho can do what he wants. 

dean111music said:
    Anyone heard of these? 

I always loved Julian Lage Telecaster that he has been using for a while. I genuinely thought it was a vintage fender but recently found out that Nacho Guitars built it for him.

http://www.nachoguitars.com/pressvideos/
    https://www.instagram.com/jlage/

I'm not to sure on cost for one of these. But they look on par with Dancasters.

I think Julian did tour with a Danocaster previously so looks likes he has taken more to this one. 

There are a lot of companies that relic guitars and all the UK companies on here look amazing but to get a guitar to look, play and feel like a real vintage tele must be hard?

A donacaster wouldn’t come close in terms of historical accuracy compared with nachos work although both are lovely looking instruments in their own rights.
    thanks!

So he builds blackguards as close to original. vintage frets and vintage frets, baseball bat neck etc?

Blackguards didn’t have baseball bat necks. They’re big, but typically soft v shape. Fender’s baja or 56 v is probably closer than the u shaped necks Fender use. I’m sure I read that nacho had spoken to Fender about how their necks weren’t correct, but they weren’t interested. A lot of the blackguards, especially early, had 9.5 radius as well. 
    wow thats very interesting. 

So the Nacho Guitars are even closer than we think? @Strat54 ?
  • fret size he uses .095 x 0.47 which is a great size fret! in-between a 6150 and 6105. For me that is ideal.

I didn't realise that the radius where 9.5 on blackguards!
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    where is he based?
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited January 2019
    Spain
    fret size he uses .095 x 0.47 which is a great size fret! in-between a 6150 and 6105. For me that is ideal.

I didn't realise that the radius where 9.5 on blackguards!
    Only on some of the Broadcasters,He uses that radius and fret size cos he likes them like that.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    How come everyone's absolutely loving fender replicas and the minute someone does a les paul on here it's like that's not right and gets a good slating, both the same imo

It's an art to relic that takes bloody ages and you need to look at originals to get close, something the big makes can't do so they'll always be a market 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    I'm fine with replica's that are better than the real thing currently produced and if the buyers and subsequent buyers are fully aware that they are not buying the real thing. The worlds most respect shops and dealers are happy to sell them too. I'm praying that we don't have another TM debarcle again.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader
    How come everyone's absolutely loving fender replicas and the minute someone does a les paul on here it's like that's not right and gets a good slating, both the same imo

Are they slating Les Paul’s??

I must say, of the 5 or 6 50’s Blackguards and a couple of Whiteguard Esquires I’ve played, I’ve found them all to be thin and brash sounding and rather awkward to play, the neck shapes varied a lot. I personally much prefer an early/mid 60’s Tele.

Thats not to take anything away from Nacho’s work of course, which is fantastic IMO.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:

Are they slating Les Paul’s??

I must say, of the 5 or 6 50’s Blackguards and a couple of Whiteguard Esquires I’ve played, I’ve found them all to be thin and brash sounding and rather awkward to play, the neck shapes varied a lot. I personally much prefer an early/mid 60’s Tele.

Thats not to take anything away from Nacho’s work of course, which is fantastic IMO.
    I'm talking about replica posts Neil, you know what i mean

Yes it's great work indeed and not easy to get right

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • So I got one...a Broadcaster. At first I wasn’t blown away but after some adjusting now I am - really enjoying playing it. Sounds cracking so his pickups are good too. 

Does need some tweaking but will be one of my favourites once that has been done. 

Loads of tiny little details that make it the closest I will ever get to owning something that old and pricey. Even if I had the funds I am lefty so even less chance. 

Recommended - just get it setup out of box. 

The Blackguard book is really good too. 
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited March 2019
    wow! Did you buy directly from him or was it used?

You'll have to post some pics. 

Was it just not setup the way you like? Frets etc good? Whats specs did you get?
    @dangriffiths dibs when you flip it please ;)