GSP1101 Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited November 2018
    I know he charges but i would also look at the Dr Bonkers ir files see if he has cab close to what you want sound of.  They work really well in GSP and are very well produced indeed.  I know he does a few nice 4x12's

I have his Lab Series L5 one and it really is lovely compared to all the free ones i trailed through (even from the big makes).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not heard from this thread for a while, but as I'm currently amp-less I've been using the GSP and trying to get it playing nicely with the Line 6 HX FX.

Any tips on getting external pedals in general to work well would be greatly appreciated :)

I've also noticed that the Octavia in the GSP is nicer than an actual Octavia and the HXFX model with my current set up but as the are two many options and variables I can't be 100% about anything at the moment
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • I've not used the loop for external fx but I think you just need to set it as an fx loop rather than a pre-amp loop. It works really well as a pre-amp loop - no noise or tone suck issues - so I'd hope it would be fine for post amp fx too.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    If its distortion fx put it pre gsp, if for other then in gsp loop with loop as fx in settings.  If the L6 is set up to do 4 cable then have the distortion/wah before gsp then other fx in loop of gsp.
  • Thanks guys, it's not so much how to wire it up as that's easy enough it's more about getting it to sound good, all the drives on the HX basically just sounded the same into it so guess further tweaking required or just use the booster (whatever it's called) on the GSP and just use the HX as a midi controller
  • Thanks guys, it's not so much how to wire it up as that's easy enough it's more about getting it to sound good, all the drives on the HX basically just sounded the same into it so guess further tweaking required or just use the booster (whatever it's called) on the GSP and just use the HX as a midi controller
    If the drives sound the same with the GSP as they do with an amp, why is further tweaking required? I think I am not understanding the issue... :)
    If the drives sound the same with the GSP as they do with an amp, why is further tweaking required? I think I am not understanding the issue... :)
    I mean every drive sounded basically the same as each other, or it didn't matter which drive I was using they all sounded the same with just slight differences in how much gain there was. Could just be the amp models I suppose, will go back to the fender ones as they are the sounds I'm more used to. Was quite noisy as well
  • Ah, ok...is this into a clean amp model? The in-built GSP drives certainly sound pretty different from one another but I've not tried external ones. I wonder if the HX could be overloading the input in some way.
  • So I've dragged my valve amp out again and I've been using the GSP1101 in 4CM but swapping between the internal and external pre-amps. Any tips on dealing with the volume mis-match? I've boosted the loop output (button on the back) but the valve amp pre-amp is still a fair bit quieter than the internal pre-amps. Best way to balance them up?
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    I don't often use my gsp these days but as far as I remember, I never found a global solution for the volume mismatch. I just adjusted the preset volume on each patch until the levels matched.

Take a pic on your phone of your amp settings to keep it consistent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I remember a similar issue with the Helix. Not sure why the real amp pre-amp is so quiet compared to the internal pre-amps. I need to crank the amp pre-amp way up and take the internal pre-amp preset level down to like 10%. If I then accidentally change to a default preset it will decapitate me!
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    I remember a similar issue with the Helix. Not sure why the real amp pre-amp is so quiet compared to the internal pre-amps. I need to crank the amp pre-amp way up and take the internal pre-amp preset level down to like 10%. If I then accidentally change to a default preset it will decapitate me!
    Loop level on the gsp and/or your amp?
  • drwiddly said:
    I remember a similar issue with the Helix. Not sure why the real amp pre-amp is so quiet compared to the internal pre-amps. I need to crank the amp pre-amp way up and take the internal pre-amp preset level down to like 10%. If I then accidentally change to a default preset it will decapitate me!
    Loop level on the gsp and/or your amp?
    Like I say, there's a level button on the back but I don't think there are any internal settings to boost it. I can try boosting it with the eq block...I think that's in front of the loop. I'll give that a go.
  • Ah - the EQ block is after the loop, so not much use...
  • I was playing with this a bit today. In order to get the same volume out of my TH30 in 4CM, I had to crank the channel volume all the way up to 100%, which seemed a bit extreme. But when I looked into the settings of the moddelled pre-amps, the channel volumes (amp level knob on the front of the unit) of those were very high too. If I turn down the modelled pre-amp channel volume then they actually match the volume settings on my TH30 pretty well.  =)

So I guess that makes sense and works ok. I also tried connecting my B-Hype8 PA speaker to the XLR out on the GSP...and that seemed to work well too. Although, the modelled pre-amps sounded better to me though that than the TH30. The question is - is it worth having the valve amp in there for backline, if the punters only hear it through the PA? A lot of gigs we play aren't even mic'd up, so in that case it is good to have better sounding backline. It's cool to have both options.  =)

• I'll be joining this thread soon. Just bought one off the 'bay :)

• Cool!  =) I recently downloaded the patches from the Facebook group and it has been really interesting...it's the first time I've properly used the X-Edit software and it really helped me get to grips with it. You don't have to use X-Edit but having all the options there on 1 page is very helpful. I also realised a few things I never knew before - like you can swap the order of some of the effects. And I never realised there is a 'swell' option on the Gate block, which is really great and I will definitely use.

The biggest revelation is how much of a difference it makes to make quite small changes to the eq block and to add in some subtle compression. Transformed my core tone...I can still feel a difference between this and my valve amp but it is becoming more 'different' rather than 'better'.

This really is a great unit. Complete steal for the money.
  •  I also realised a few things I never knew before - like you can swap the order of some of the effects. 
    Hmmm. Does it give you full control to do bizarre things such as distortion after reverb? 

•  I also realised a few things I never knew before - like you can swap the order of some of the effects. 
    Hmmm. Does it give you full control to do bizarre things such as distortion after reverb? 
    Nah...I think yo can just move the modulation fx block pre or post amp. I thought you could move the compressor too but I can't see how to do that now...
    Nah...I think yo can just move the modulation fx block pre or post amp. I thought you could move the compressor too but I can't see how to do that now...
    You can do that on the unit itself on the compressor menu