Stewmac endpin jack reamer

Has anybody used one of these before?

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Reamers/Endpin_Jack_Reamer.html

Are there any alternatives that can be found on this side of the atlantic? Need to get a 12mm hole done and would like to do it properly.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    Wow that's expensive!

Last time I did one I used a sharp wood drill bit and some masking tape.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    MIne has earned its keep. But I can't find it today! :((
  • It looks like a well designed tool for the job, and justifiable for those who are doing these on a weekly basis, but for a one-off it is steep :/
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Tapered reamer. That’s some price. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Andy79 said:
    Tapered reamer. That’s some price. 
    It's much more than that - it's a tapered reamer with two correct-size parallel sections to do the job perfectly. A taper reamer doesn't do the whole thing, you then need to drill it out with a parallel drill bit after you've gone as far in as the surface hole is expanded to the right size.

It looks like a well designed tool for the job, and justifiable for those who are doing these on a weekly basis, but for a one-off it is steep :/
    I don't have one, although I probably should get one. It would pay for itself in two fitting jobs.

I've found their 8mm to 10mm machinehead borer is another example of something that looks expensive but does the job so well and easily it seems worth every penny when you've used it once.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson