Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

HX Stomp

What's Hot

Comments

• BowksBowks Frets: 414
    I've got one with an H9 in the loop and an a Dunlop Mini Expression pedal. 

I'm still getting to grips with it. I did find there were a couple of patches with some weird parallel blocks in place that sounded terrible until I removed them. 

Does anyone know if I can connect the expression pedal with a standard mono cable or does it need a TRS cable?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Bowks said:
    I've got one with an H9 in the loop and an a Dunlop Mini Expression pedal. 

Does anyone know if I can connect the expression pedal with a standard mono cable or does it need a TRS cable?
    Either should work as you’re only using the EXP pedal for a single function and its using the plug tip.
  • Hello everyone. When I plug my hx stomp into the PA its fine until I plug my amp into send as a monitor and i get a whistle though the PA. The whistle is there if the amp is switched on or off. Any idea's???
  • Anyone else gigging there hxstomp yet?

Got my first show with mine coming up next Friday.....I'm basically using it as a stomp ox and got rid of a few pedals from my board, with a dedicated patch setup up should my amp fail!

After my initial misgivings, I must say that I'm loving the sounds, some of the drives and modulation effects are fantastic.

Anyway, I'm looking to now better integrate it with my other pedals, as basically I prefer the sound of my own tubescreamer, whammy, crybaby and Way Huge Aqua Puss.....

Would it be possible to use a boss es5 or 8 to switch stuff via midi on the hxstomp as well as adding in selected stomp boxes too?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Yep, I’ve gigged mine a couple of times on guitar with no ancillary switches and stuff... works great. As a backup to my regular Helix it’s perfect (fits in the top pocket of the Helix backpack too). 
  • Anyone else gigging there hxstomp yet?

Got my first show with mine coming up next Friday.....I'm basically using it as a stomp ox and got rid of a few pedals from my board, with a dedicated patch setup up should my amp fail!

After my initial misgivings, I must say that I'm loving the sounds, some of the drives and modulation effects are fantastic.

Anyway, I'm looking to now better integrate it with my other pedals, as basically I prefer the sound of my own tubescreamer, whammy, crybaby and Way Huge Aqua Puss.....

Would it be possible to use a boss es5 or 8 to switch stuff via midi on the hxstomp as well as adding in selected stomp boxes too?
    Absolutely mate
  • How about this as an affordable midi controller for the HX Stomp? £100ish courtesy of Thomann

In addition to the preset banks it appears 2 banks can be user programmed for PC and/or CC commands. Only one command per switch and latching only not momentary, and limited to only one midi channel.

Also has connections for 2 expression pedals. Powered by AAA battery or via USB.

The manual's here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • damodaidamodai Frets: 38
    How about this as an affordable midi controller for the HX Stomp? £100ish courtesy of Thomann

In addition to the preset banks it appears 2 banks can be user programmed for PC and/or CC commands. Only one command per switch and latching only not momentary, and limited to only one midi channel.

Also has connections for 2 expression pedals. Powered by AAA battery or via USB.

The manual's here.

You can't set the cc# sub parameter .  You can only toggle between 0 and64  (on/off)  
    So for example if you wanted to control snapshots using this
    Calling CC numberValue value
    Select SNAP SHOT 1CC 690
    Select SNAP SHOT 2CC 691
    Select SNAP SHOT 3CC 692

you can only Select SNAP SHOT 1.    

Probably one of the things people would like to do. 

If this were possible the controller would be perfect and of course you may be happy to not have this function available

• paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited January 2019
    damodai said:
    How about this as an affordable midi controller for the HX Stomp? £100ish courtesy of Thomann

The manual's here.

You can't set the cc# sub parameter .  You can only toggle between 0 and64  (on/off)  
    So for example if you wanted to control snapshots using this
    Calling CC numberValue value
    Select SNAP SHOT 1CC 690
    Select SNAP SHOT 2CC 691
    Select SNAP SHOT 3CC 692

you can only Select SNAP SHOT 1.    

Probably one of the things people would like to do. 

If this were possible the controller would be perfect and of course you may be happy to not have this function available

Patch selection, block bypass and looper controls should be doable though I think?

Edit: but yeah looking out for 2nd hand MC6 is probably a better bet.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The inability to call up a snapshot would be much missed, keep an eye on it though, there may be a firmware update, and format-wise it looks great
  • John_A said:
    The inability to call up a snapshot would be much missed, keep an eye on it though, there may be a firmware update, and format-wise it looks great
    I suppose you could use the 3 on-board footswitches for snapshots and the HB midi thing for everything else. But yeah given they've got presets for other modellers an update for stomp doesn't seem unfeasible.
  • damodaidamodai Frets: 38
    I already have one of the meloaudio midi commander  (the mp-100 is a rebadge for thomann) . I'm hoping for a firmware update so I can use it with HX Stomp or perhaps an editor programme would expose this function ?       
    Also  note that you can only power it via battery or USB.   

• John_A said:
    I suppose you could use the 3 on-board footswitches for snapshots and the HB midi thing for everything else. But yeah given they've got presets for other modellers an update for stomp doesn't seem unfeasible.
    This is how I have mine set up - snapshots for clean, dirty and boost and my MC6 controls the rest of the blocks in the patch.

Slightly restrictive for calling up snapshots from other patches though, but can work around it if I really tried to figure it all out

• "Accurate modeling of existing physical devices that we love is certainly a good goal. But we shouldn't let that get in the way of innovation that helps produce new, different, and possibly better sounds. In the old days, amp designers would have loved to be free of some of the engineering compromises they had to make. We don't necessarily need to make those same compromises in the digital domain. There is certainly magic in the results they produced with those amps, speakers and cabinets. But maybe there's a new world out there waiting for us to explore."

From a line6 thread on IR.

Question for HX stomp users and, more broadly, modelling users. Have you experienced this ''new world" and what does it sound like? In other words, what can you do tonally, with a modeller that is simply not possible with a traditional combo/stack (leaving FX aside).

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224

Question for HX stomp users and, more broadly, modelling users. Have you experienced this ''new world" and what does it sound like? In other words, what can you do tonally, with a modeller that is simply not possible with a traditional combo/stack (leaving FX aside).

I run into two amps each with a different ir which is a blend of multiple mics, while this is very possible in the real world it certainly isn't practical, easy, or affordable!
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912

With an Axe FX for examp!e, it possible to set up an amp model with the correct set of virtual valves and then change them to a different set. In the real world that might be possible with rebiasing but not always. You could then set up patches using these differently valved models and switch between them. Not always possible or practical in real life.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    "Accurate modeling of existing physical devices that we love is certainly a good goal. But we shouldn't let that get in the way of innovation that helps produce new, different, and possibly better sounds. In the old days, amp designers would have loved to be free of some of the engineering compromises they had to make. We don't necessarily need to make those same compromises in the digital domain. There is certainly magic in the results they produced with those amps, speakers and cabinets. But maybe there's a new world out there waiting for us to explore."

From a line6 thread on IR.

I don’t think it’s revolutionary but Jason Sadites’ trick of splitting the signal into low and high bands and adjusting crossover point and relative levels is really useful - so much so L6 are adding it as a feature/block to do even more easily. But even without that it’s an example of the ease with which you can do stuff to a signal path to achieve a goal 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Has anyone had any success running 2 expression pedals and/or momentary switches with their stomps using a y insert cable - trs to 2 x ts?

I was having a play tonight and was getting exp 1 and 2 both controlling each other’s assigned parameters. 

Also a momentary footswitch would only engage briefly on release. 

Any ideas?

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Paul Hindmarsh recently posted this, sounds fab to me

• Has anybody downsized from an LT to a stomp to integrate back into a pedalboard?

I’m thinking of doing so as I use my small pedal board more but like the Helix as a recording and backup option.  Plus although I generally prefer pedals a ‘Swiss army knife’ option of the stomp would be good.

Just seems a big jump in functionality, trying to work out if I would regret it.....