Composition Challenge #25 - Chat

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
edited December 2018 in Making Music
Time for round #25 of the Fretboard Composition Challenge.

Every few months there'll be a composition challenge. It revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing and recording music based on a set of rules or guidelines laid out for that particular challenge.

No prizes for this challenge. It's just for fun, a spur to creating, sharing, discussing music/recording and learning. Plus a way of testing the water with your creations and getting some feedback.

GUIDELINES -THEME

The theme for this one is: "Music for a superhero movie".

Interpret the theme as you wish. Who knows, we might discover a future Hans Zimmer in the making.

Picture: In addition to the music, try to create your own picture that relates to your selected theme/title. This isn't mandatory but, as a small incentive, those that provide a picture will be awarded a free point to add to their voting score. Note the picture can be anything from a hand drawn sketch, photo, photo edit or something generated in a graphics package.

DATES AND VOTING

Fretboard Challenge #25 starts NOW! - Submission deadline -  Midnight 31st March 2019.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline and run for about two weeks, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

The entry with the most points wins.

The order and scores of the three people with the most votes will be announced soon after the voting ends.

SUBMISSION DETAILS

All recordings and pictures need to be sent via email to Compositions@theFB.co.uk

Songs to be submitted in mp3 format.
Pictures to be in jpg or png format.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bump. Still a couple of months to go, but a quick weekend reminder of the composition challenge. 
    It's not a competition.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Do we need vocals? or can it be instrumental?
  • poopot said:
    Whatever you want to do. Mine will be instrumental unless I suddenly learn how to sing :)
    It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    poopot said:
    Whatever you want to do. Mine will be instrumental unless I suddenly learn how to sing

Given the theme for this one I think (and hope) that virtually every entry will be instrumental.

Even I am not in the slightest tempted to write lyrics about a superhero and my past entries would indicate a low threshold for submitting the ridiculous :)
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Gotta say I'm loving this challenge.  I think my piece is more or less there writing wise.  A few flourishes and tweaks to add.  I don't think you'd call it the main theme though … more the lament that leads into war and then tragedy …. 

Definitely the most complicated chord sequence I've ever come up with.
    Mines done... just need to sort the photo ;)
  • I'm going for a Metallica S&M type piece. I know where I'm going with the guitar and I have a concept... The orchestral parts might take a bit longer. Plenty of time though
  • I'm up for this challenge, I have a cover version in mind, is this allowed? I also want to put a guitar solo in it, but am i right in thinking that drunkenly tapping my plectrum on the fretboard in an Iddly Tiddly Widdly Piddly Kinda Way would not be the right approach : ) Any tips on soloing would be appreciated.
  • I'm up for this challenge, I have a cover version in mind, is this allowed?
    I don't see why not. I'm sure you'll put an original and creative take on it.

It's not a competition.
  • Please let me know if anyone has any ideas for the next theme, after this one, that will encourage entries.

It's not a competition.
  • I'm trying to do this one mentally (while I sort out my new laptop) though I'll admit I've never watched a super hero movie as I had to Google who Hans Zimmer is. Mine will hopefully be a bit of modified classical, there won't be vocals in the sense of a song though I'm not ruling out there being voice used... Hopefully
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • I’m up for this and working on ideas. No idea what the super hero is yet. 

• ...No idea what the super hero is yet. 

I was thinking generically but, if I had to visualise one, I'll go for Wonder Woman :)
    It's not a competition.
  • I have a super hero but not sure what his power is as yet. I am hoping my vst plugins will decide that for me
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Please let me know if anyone has any ideas for the next theme, after this one, that will encourage entries.

Having been on a forum where we used to do this the following worked well:

A track inspired by your favourite band (wide open from metal to blues to acoustic folk)

In a similar vein to above think about the first album you purchased and create a song inspired by a favourite track - it doesn't need to be a slavish homage to either the band or the album.

The Fretboard EP/album task - pick a musical style and get people to create a track to go on the album .. for fun you could create a bonkers band name. Again this is open to interpretation as if you picked say hard rock as a genre people could create an out and out rocker, a slow ballad, an acoustic piece etc.

Provide some basic samples (I have terabytes of these so could help) which people can use. These would be drums, bass and other bits and pieces. Use as many or as few as you want and feel free to chop them up. This can allow people to quickly create a backing track to play over. Have a pool of stuff people could use helped.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    Please let me know if anyone has any ideas for the next theme, after this one, that will encourage entries.

Having been on a forum where we used to do this the following worked well:

A track inspired by your favourite band (wide open from metal to blues to acoustic folk)

In a similar vein to above think about the first album you purchased and create a song inspired by a favourite track - it doesn't need to be a slavish homage to either the band or the album.

The Fretboard EP/album task - pick a musical style and get people to create a track to go on the album .. for fun you could create a bonkers band name. Again this is open to interpretation as if you picked say hard rock as a genre people could create an out and out rocker, a slow ballad, an acoustic piece etc.

Provide some basic samples (I have terabytes of these so could help) which people can use. These would be drums, bass and other bits and pieces. Use as many or as few as you want and feel free to chop them up. This can allow people to quickly create a backing track to play over. Have a pool of stuff people could use helped.

That's excellent. Plenty to pick from. Many thanks.
    It's not a competition.
    Sent :)
  • poopot said:
    Sent :)
    Received :)
    It's not a competition.
    Finished last night, got it all mixed and to volume then on play though, in a quiet section, there's the familiar "bffttttzzzz brfftzzzz" of a mobile phone trying to get signal and being picked up by everything with 70 yards ....

Guess I'll be re-recording that bit then ha ha
    Sent!

I think I lost my mind a little with this one … but I can explain when necessary … probably :)