What does the Fender Acoustasonic sound like with Electric Guitar Strings?

What's Hot
I think the answer you're looking for is "Shit"

Whoever worked on the design team for this one needs a nail through their nuts, a previously tried concept that nobody wants and sounds bad.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14031
    tFB Trader
    Do they all have that 2 tone rosewood fingerboard vibe - looks like a skunk tail down each fingerboard

I take on board Lee's comment about a plain 3rd - But I would imagine the saddle is cut for a wd 3rd, so without any alterations then don't expect perfect intonation

I quite like the concept and would be willing to try one - Thinking a bit of a Mark Knopfler with a nylon strung version

But I do agree @RandallFlagg that this demo doesn't make it sound anything special - I will try one sometime soon though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

The plain vs wound third is always the issue with these hybrid type of guitars.  I bought a Variax when they first came out, and the acoustic sound on it never sounded right because of the plain 3rd.  A wound 3rd would have seriously compromised it as an electric for bending.

In the end that was a major reason for me selling the Variax.  I timed it right though. I sold it and then a week later they announced a new version, and the price of the one I had dropped by about 30%.

• I still think these will flop once the initial orders go through.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I quite like the look but in all demos they sound really poor - a taylor T5z sounds much better.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2867
    Love fender but not so sure about this ting. 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    That's a terrible hat.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    I quite like the look and design of it, but the pricing is too high.  For £1600 I would rather buy a separate electric and acoustic...I'm probably just old fashioned though!
  • hideous
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Fender surpassed themselves on this one - take an iconic, elegant body design and make it look horrible. Crap idea, poorly executed. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Brize said:
    That's a terrible hat.
    Camden Market?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 562
    edited February 2019
    I like the concept. I like the look of ‘em bar the horrible fretboard. Could be a nice sofa guitar.

What I hate is the thin nasally sound....and Bobs hat. Surely they could sound better with some decent eq. 

But fuck me, that hat is bloody awful. Someone please post his new vocal/screaming vid so I can bitch about him even more  s
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    To be fair, they've worked bloody hard to come up with such a totally ugly looking guitar.
  • Do they all have that 2 tone rosewood fingerboard vibe - looks like a skunk tail down each fingerboard

Is it Rosewood or Macassar Ebony?

I quite like the idea and have been mulling a T5z for a while so will try them side by side. Looks don't bother me on this
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14031
    tFB Trader
    Do they all have that 2 tone rosewood fingerboard vibe - looks like a skunk tail down each fingerboard

Is it Rosewood or Macassar Ebony?

I quite like the idea and have been mulling a T5z for a while so will try them side by side. Looks don't bother me on this
    I had not looked at the spec sheet one bit - Just assumed it was rosewood - Yes it is ebony , so thanks for that - Regardless of the wood just curious why it is 'two tone' as such with such dominant streaks - I know the easy answer is that it is a characteristic nature of say that would, but I've seen loads of ebony on guitars that is more evenly balanced regarding its 'colour/grain pattern' - I'd be looking for one without such colouring
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    edited February 2019
    To all those not liking Chappers' hat, I'll have you know that it's an essential part of his new American image, as per his latest single. He's now the new ZZ Top don't you know.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 227
    edited February 2019
    I watched here thinking Its an alright guitar for £500,  then i clicked the link to one and saw it was £1500 lol.........

Who would buy one of them for that o
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader

Theres also hybrid strings out there. Every other string coil is nickel-plated steel, every other coi phosphor bronze, its so the bronze reacts more with the piezo and the nickel/steel ones react more with the magnetic pickup.

I haven't tried them yet but will soon as I have my own hybrid build planned soon..  But I have heard really good things about them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DR-Strings-Zebra-Acoustic-Electric-Round/dp/B0002FOKQI

• Can't stand the look of them and not impressed with the sound either but at least Fender are trying something new which is more than can be said of Gibson.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    now you see, i like it, but I'm fully prepared to be deemed odd.

I only have one electric guitar and an one acoustic, Id happily own one of these IF...it were priced around £600 as it wouldn't be used enough to justify any more for me. 
  • Lebarque said:
    To all those not liking Chappers' hat, I'll have you know that it's an essential part of his new American image, as per his latest single. He's now the new ZZ Top don't you know.
     I have noticed that the 'marketing' department seem to have changed him to get into the American country/blues market. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom