Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA: Guitar Guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• Gibson Les Paul Classic 2018 Pelham Blue Top

SOLD OUT!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    DrBob said:
    mrkb said:
    newi123 said:
    Fighting off the urge to by a Tyler............
    Just stare at the headstock.......it’s awful.... that will make the urge pass
    One day we’ll be able to mention Tyler’s without the Pavlovian “headstock” response.

One day..

I think those responses are as ingrained as the reactions to PRS, relics, Gibson quality control and (coming up on the rails) tonewoods.

Personally I like the Tyler headstock.  Leave it Phil, just let it go.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Tenebrous said:
    I've played a '61 335 (not at guitar guitar) and I thought it was actually pretty awful.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    edited February 2019
    The black VOS 335 with Bigsby looks interesting
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Lodious said:
    Tenebrous said:
    I've played a '61 335 (not at guitar guitar) and I thought it was actually pretty awful.
    Any specifics?
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    The finish just looked it had been rubbed over with wire wool and it just felt really cheap. I only played it acoustically, but just seemed like a bit of a joke guitar. The neck was pretty thin at the nut end (I guess most people like that but to me, it felt really unsubstantial). 

I'd seen it reduced to 3K and was ready to get it, but as soon as I picked it up it was like..'I can see why these are reduced'. 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Lodious said:
    The finish just looked it had been rubbed over with wire wool and it just felt really cheap. I only played it acoustically, but just seemed like a bit of a joke guitar. The neck was pretty thin at the nut end (I guess most people like that but to me, it felt really unsubstantial). 

I'd seen it reduced to 3K and was ready to get it, but as soon as I picked it up it was like..'I can see why these are reduced'. 
    Thanks, good to know. To be fair I think the dull finish that looks like micro scratches all over is part of the VOS finish. Also note that semis can feel a little plinky plonky unplugged, not sure why but I always assumed it was to do with the laminate tops and bottoms and rigid construction. A bit like an acoustic that is far too overbuilt to properly resonate acoustically.

Through an amp though they can be glorious.

A good 335 is still lively and vibrant unplugged, it's usually the heavy ones that are dull and lacking in dynamics
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1410
    sweepy said:
    A good 335 is still lively and vibrant unplugged, it's usually the heavy ones that are dull and lacking in dynamics
    This isn’t always true. I have a heavy one at 8.7lbs and it is the best sounding ES-335 I’ve played. Resonates loudly unplugged like an acoustic guitar. Loads of bottom end and sustain plugged in too. It’s actual a little Les Paul like in tone.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    There can't be much variation in weight between 335s can there?  The ply must be pretty consistent.
    There are a lot of weight variations, when I was hunting for my first 335 I remember trying out more than I care to remember ;)
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 897
    I have one of the ‘58 burst es335 I got for 279@ via a wee dealing, they have a huge neck and the thermo treatment on the internals.  I have to say it’s one of the most vintage sounding ES ive played recommended...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I've never owned a 335, but I've had a 339 and a couple of 336s (different construction of course).  The acoustic tone is odd, they are quite loud but the wound strings, especially the low E, sound a bit dull and rubber-bandy (or plinky plonky like @terada said).  I always thought they would ring and resonate more like an acoustic guitar.
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 897
    @whitecat if the 58s the same as mine then like i say it’s had the premiere  treatment so thermal ageing so very light weight  and woody, unbound 58 spec neck and the very dark burst - I swapped the pups but I always do
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited February 2019
    Not the encouragement I need @tomajoha :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Cool stuff. I think the one GG had is already gone, but I might keep my out for a secondhand one... didn’t have the spare cash anyway! :p 
    Oh dear I seem to have bought one 
    https://i.imgur.com/bN0iGVM.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    sweepy said:
    Oh dear I seem to have bought one 
    https://i.imgur.com/bN0iGVM.jpg
    '61?  That's bloody beautiful!  Well done
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    £999 for that lovely Pelham Blue Les Paul Classic with P90's, such a lovely looking Guitar is that!
    Watch out with these as 999 could also be the weight in pounds 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1410
    edited February 2019
    Here’s the one on it’s way to me arriving tomorrow!

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom