Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

HX Stomp

What's Hot
1212223242527»

Comments

• redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 745
    edited February 2019
    Just picked up one of these and have Been having some fun. Am playing through some studio monitors so playing with dual amps and stereo effects. Lots of fun.  

So far I’ve downloded a few custom tones and been using a couple that sound good as a basis to start tweaking.  I am amazed at how awful some of the stock presets sound mind you. Not sure if that’s my monitors or what. Not a problem though as it’s very capable of sounding ace. :-)

Loving the size too and can see how I would make it work live as an fx only unit  - probably using snapshots. Though I might invest in some of those big pedal button things to make it easier to navigate with my size 12s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cabicular said:
    Yeah saw the link to that earlier.

Or with one of these as a very lightweight stereo rig - though based on comments on the earlier thread it might be too quiet?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitar-amps/guitar-cabs/2x12-guitar-cabs/matrix-amplification-neolight-nl212-compact-2x12-guitar-cab
  • One other thing I’ll add - you do have to choose carefully with only having 6 slots, especially when using dual amps and IRs. 

However while this sounds a bit cliched, it really is quite liberating to have less choice than what comes with a regular Helix.  I had a full fat one a while back and the amount of options and paths is huge fun - however it does get distracting - I found myself wanting some distortion then auditioning every pedal, combinations of pedals, different pedal orders and paths, not to mention amp gain - it’s never ending.

Also the ability to control almost every parameter with snapshots provides a lot of flexibility even with limited blocks.

• One other thing I’ll add - you do have to choose carefully with only having 6 slots, especially when using dual amps and IRs. 

However while this sounds a bit cliched, it really is quite liberating to have less choice than what comes with a regular Helix.  

Think I’m going to sell my LT and go for a stomp for this reason.
  • Cheap expression pedal options/opinions - what works and what doesn't with the HX Stomp?

I'm looking for something to use very sporadically - probably no more than 2 songs in my band's setlist would use either wah or volume effects. I'd only need to use one effect at a time, so doesn't need to be too fancy.

I understand the Mission Engineering one is the bee's knees for the Helix, but £150 is way more than I'm wanting to spend. I've seen them ranging from £14 for the M-Audio EX-P and then at various price points all the way up to £150. However, I have no clue what is or isn't compatible.

What have you guys tried and had success (or otherwise) with?
  • Cheap expression pedal options/opinions - what works and what doesn't with the HX Stomp?

I'm looking for something to use very sporadically - probably no more than 2 songs in my band's setlist would use either wah or volume effects. I'd only need to use one effect at a time, so doesn't need to be too fancy.

I understand the Mission Engineering one is the bee's knees for the Helix, but £150 is way more than I'm wanting to spend. I've seen them ranging from £14 for the M-Audio EX-P and then at various price points all the way up to £150. However, I have no clue what is or isn't compatible.

What have you guys tried and had success (or otherwise) with?
    The m-audio works and seems fine to me, the only real downside I can see is it’s pre-wired with a straight jack and a long lead. 
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited February 2019
    redrighthand said:
     So far I’ve downloded a few custom tones and been using a couple that sound good as a basis to start tweaking.  I am amazed at how awful some of the stock presets sound mind you. Not sure if that’s my monitors or what. Not a problem though as it’s very capable of sounding ace. :-)

It's not your monitors.  It's become almost a standing joke that the factory presets are awful.  I've always found the way that works best for me is to start with just an amp and a cab and build up from there. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • siremoon said:
    redrighthand said:

It's not your monitors.  It's become almost a standing joke that the factory presets are awful.  I've always found the way that works best for me is to start with just an amp and a cab and build up from there. 
    Yeah agreed. Though I’ve found that by auditioning other people’s  patches I’m finding some stuff I wouldn’t have otherwise. - like what adding a compressor at the end of the chain can do for example.

• So, my LT has now gone, so thinking of a stomp for fx only integrating into a pedalboard (and as amp backup if required)

How are people doing on using it this way and how do you have it set up?  Any issues or are yhe stomps integrating with pedalboards well?

What external switches/controls are you using?

• Okay stomp now ordered...