Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA: Guitar Guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    So what is the difference between the two 335's - Apart from colour - Both have the same price - One is listed as a Limited Run of 100 - Are they the same guitar but for some reason listed on the web site with two different headers (61 sixties cherry and 61 historic burst) - Or is there a difference - Update accordingly

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170823313757008--gibson-es-335-61-sixties-cherry-2018
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170823313758008--gibson-es-335-61-historic-burst-2018
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1410
    edited February 2019
    It arrived and is really light at only 7lbs 4.5oz. Resonates wonderfully and has nice bottom end. Definitely one of the better ES335s I’ve played. I’m also finding the neck surprisingly comfortable even though it’s thin. A nice bit of very light flame too on the back and top. Very pleased so far.

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    Nice! I've had the 58 and 63. The neck on the 58 is massive. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Fishboy7 said:
    Bigger than an R8?
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    mrkb said:
    newi123 said:
    Fighting off the urge to by a Tyler............
    Just stare at the headstock.......it’s awful.... that will make the urge pass
    Bought it. I actually love the headstock and the fact it's not trying to be a fender.

Always wanted a Tyler and it's as good as I thought it would be!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    newi123 said:
    mrkb said:
    newi123 said:
    Fighting off the urge to by a Tyler............
    Just stare at the headstock.......it’s awful.... that will make the urge pass
    Bought it. I actually love the headstock and the fact it's not trying to be a fender.

Always wanted a Tyler and it's as good as I thought it would be!
    Nice one! :)
    roberty said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    Bigger than an R8?
    My 59 335 neck is the same size as the bigger R8s I’ve played. Think the 58 is similar.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    hyperben said:
    It arrived and is really light at only 7lbs 4.5oz. Resonates wonderfully and has nice bottom end. Definitely one of the better ES335s I’ve played. I’m also finding the neck surprisingly comfortable even though it’s thin. A nice bit of very light flame too on the back and top. Very pleased so far.

That looks awesome.    Did you have a choice or tops or did you go to one of the branches?

A deal to buy a tele fell through ‘‘tis weekend and I’m very tempted to try one of these instead of the neck is a little smaller than the 63 reissues. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    roberty said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    Bigger than an R8?
    Seemed bigger to me, but could be I've just got used to slimmer necks lately. Also being unbound might might it look bigger I guess....
    edited February 2019
    John_P said:
    hyperben said:

That looks awesome.    Did you have a choice or tops or did you go to one of the branches?

A deal to buy a tele fell through ‘‘tis weekend and I’m very tempted to try one of these instead of the neck is a little smaller than the 63 reissues. 
    I got the guys in Glasgow GG to choose me the best one out of the 10 they had. I asked for most resonant, dark fretboard, interesting grain if possible and not too heavy. They did a superb job and came up with a right corker! The necks vary but are the same ballpark as the 63. Slightly smaller on average. Wildwood in the USA sell these same guitars and they publish the neck measurements so you can see the typical variation on their website. There’s not a lot into it compared to the 63s. Mine is 0.800-0.925 which is very typical 61 and would be a small 63.
    @hyperben that's a good tip, they list the weights and the depth at 1st / 12th right on the results page:

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-category/electrics/gibson-custom-memphis/es-335-series/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2019
    roberty said:
    @hyperben that's a good tip, they list the weights and the depth at 1st / 12th right on the results page:

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-category/electrics/gibson-custom-memphis/es-335-series/
    Yeh I find it quite useful just to see how much variance there is from guitar to guitar of what should be the same model. I’m lucky to have inherited some measuring calipers so I can measure my own guitar necks. It’s kind of nerdy but when I know I like (or don’t like) the feel of a neck it’s nice to know what it measures as. Marks guitar loft provide measurements too as do @guitars4you.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Nice one @hyperben . If I wasn't already the proud owner of a 63RI i'd have been all over these
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    I tried 3 at Guitar Guitar Epsom, the VOS Cherry, Black VOS with Bigsby and the VOS Hitoric burst, it was interesting to compare and contrast the differences. My heart wanted the Bigsby model but it felt stiff and not very resonant, the Cherry one felt ok but sounded a bit weak whereas the Historic Burst absolutely howled when pushed and had a lovely supple feel. My only gripe, which is easily remedied is that the neck felt a little sticky but as I said, very easy to fix
    The only criticism I do have is the setup was pretty awful when it arrived. Truss rod needed adjusting twice, and even when put right the action was still very high. Got it playing beautifully now though.
    VOS Ebony Bigsby 355 incoming :-)

Here are the weights - I went for the Birmingham one

Glasgow - 8.90lbs
    Epsom - 8.6lbs
    Birmingham - 8.3lbs

You lot are a bad influence!
  • hyperben said:
    The only criticism I do have is the setup was pretty awful when it arrived. Truss rod needed adjusting twice, and even when put right the action was still very high. Got it playing beautifully now though.
    Down side of having guitars shipped mate especially in this weather! Was probably okay when it left the shop. 
    edited February 2019
    hyperben said:
    Down side of having guitars shipped mate especially in this weather! Was probably okay when it left the shop. 
    Indeed for the truss rod. I don’t think the action raised itself in transit though. Haha
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    roberty said:
    VOS Ebony Bigsby 355 incoming :-)

Here are the weights - I went for the Birmingham one

Glasgow - 8.90lbs
    Epsom - 8.6lbs
    Birmingham - 8.3lbs

You lot are a bad influence!
    Nice work!
    The hour of the delivery window is upon me...