Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss GT-1000

What's Hot
kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1143

Has anyone had any experience with the new Boss GT-1000?

After initially disliking what I was hearing from the early Namm demos, I'm liking the sound of the recent clips that have started to appear on YouTube. It would seem Boss sorted out the initial sound problems with the unit.

Has anyone on the forum purchased one, if so how are you getting on with it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The clunky interface puts me off. Some of the online reviews have been mixed.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    Oddly quiet around these parts about the GT1000...I think everyone already has a Helix so there's not much interest. I liked the feature of being able to designate an effect as a 'stompbox' so it maintains the same settings no matter which patch you use it in. Nobody else has done that as far as I know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm really liking the drive sounds I'm hearing. I could quite happily gig and be happy with the Premium Drive preset from what I've heard. No real demos of a straight up clean sound, just clean presets with heavy effects applied. I like the approach Boss has taken with the unit and if I can get away without messing on with IR's then that's a bonus. 
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    ...and no real comparison vids on YT either. Apart from the Glenn DeLaune ones. Odd. Maybe people don't see it as a contender.
  • I'm not hearing much about this unit, but I'm really drawn to it. I have a full pedal-based board all around the ES-8 which I love, but it's so bloody heavy, I'm struggling. The interface seems clunky compared to the Helix but I can whizz around the ES-8 really quickly and they've got very similar programming concepts in the GT-1000.

The sounds are really excellent and there is absolutely zero lag when switching amp models. They've just released V2 of the firmware:

• This is a Helix forum for Helix people...there's nothing for you here.

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can you use it just for the effects into a valve amp and bypass the amp modelling?
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited February 2019
    Can you use it just for the effects into a valve amp and bypass the amp modelling?
    yep, that's what I've been doing for some time
  • Would the GT100 not serve just as well for fx only?
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Oddly quiet around these parts about the GT1000...I think everyone already has a Helix so there's not much interest. I liked the feature of being able to designate an effect as a 'stompbox' so it maintains the same settings no matter which patch you use it in. Nobody else has done that as far as I know.
    That's probably the reason. When a couple of dozen of regulars have dropped a grand or two on Helix the market for the high end multi-fx is probably a little thin on here?

Not sure where the idea that it sounded bad or lacked something came from though. Every review i have seen or read says it sounds great and does a lot. The only negative seems to be the manual. Which is a criticism i would level at both the MD-500 and DD-500 as well. I guess Boss cant be arsed translating from Japanese?  
  • I have one and I love it, which is why I sold the majority of my pedals and haven't bought anymore since.  

The Boss Tone Studio editor is very easy to use and the built in IRs are the best ones to use.  I tried using various IRs from different companies and none of them worked as well as the ones assigned to the amps.  One of the Boss reps on Facebook stated that, with the AIRD models, there is a lot more going on with the cabinet models that no IR could ever reproduce.  

There are so many EQ and input and output options that I'm sure it would be a versatile enough unit to match up with any rig.  Boss seems to be putting out a lot of fixes and listening to user requests.  

Speaking of the manual, a member of Boss staff responded to requests on Facebook to write a GT-1000 guide - 
    https://www.boss.info/global/promos/gt-1000_ultimate_guide/

Would the GT100 not serve just as well for fx only?
    It would be good for FX, yes.  
  • I'm really liking the drive sounds I'm hearing. I could quite happily gig and be happy with the Premium Drive preset from what I've heard. No real demos of a straight up clean sound, just clean presets with heavy effects applied. I like the approach Boss has taken with the unit and if I can get away without messing on with IR's then that's a bonus. 
    Someone on TGP said that his GT1000 crashed before a gig and he had to do a factory reset and lost all his patches.  He used the Premium Drive for the whole gig and was very happy.  Apparently he didn't need to tweak it.

• I've got one and I love it.  It's a lot of fun and it sounds great too.

I think that Boss may have missed the boat a bit on this one as FAS and Line 6 got their products out first.  I'm sure that they're all great units, but it may not matter at this time if the Boss is best as the others have claimed the ground.

@gearaddict , the Stompbox feature is the same a FAS's Global Blocks on the AXE-FX II, which is one of the greater ideas (and simpler ideas) that has been implemented with this tech.

On first looking at the UI I was flummoxed, but it's surprisingly easy to navigate.  I like using it with the Boss SY-300 and EHX B9 (via the loops) for shaking things up.

It's a nifty little machine.
  • I actually ended up buying a Helix and I’m very happy I did. The UI is just in a different league. I haven’t needed to touch the manual as it’s so intuitive and straightforward. 

I’m sure the boss sounds just as good, but the UI and the big colour display on the Helix tipped the balance in its favour for me.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I think that Boss may have missed the boat a bit on this one as FAS and Line 6 got their products out first.  I'm sure that they're all great units, but it may not matter at this time if the Boss is best as the others have claimed the ground.

@gearaddict , the Stompbox feature is the same a FAS's Global Blocks on the AXE-FX II, which is one of the greater ideas (and simpler ideas) that has been implemented with this tech.

On first looking at the UI I was flummoxed, but it's surprisingly easy to navigate.  I like using it with the Boss SY-300 and EHX B9 (via the loops) for shaking things up.

But the GT1000 doesn't have a stompbox feature.   You have to do a bit of a work around to set up individual stompboxes via assigns.  Hopefully Boss will implement a stompbox mode in the future. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

But the GT1000 doesn't have a stompbox feature.   You have to do a bit of a work around to set up individual stompboxes via assigns.  Hopefully Boss will implement a stompbox mode in the future. 
    I think we may be talking about 2 different things...I meant the ability to assign an effect as a global stompbox - so that any changes you make to the settings of that pedal are reflected in all the patches that use that pedal.

I think you are talking about the ability to have a mode where all the pedals in a patch are footswitchable.
  • Looking at the demos and the videos, I think you're right. A button is usually a preset, but within a preset you can have any of the other buttons be assigned to another function. This is just like the ES-8.

On my ES-8 I have buttons 1-5 being a preset, but within each preset I have button6 as boost, button 7 for mods and 8 for delay. I also use the CNUM feature to change to the dirt channel of my amp.

It looks as if it would be exactly the same on the GT-1000 so I could completely recreate my ES-8 patches and workflow using the CTRL buttons instead of buttons 6-8. I also reckon I could split the output so that an XLR goes to the desk with a simulated cab and mic added and another goes to the FX return of my amp without. Therefore I get the on stage sound I want and the audience and the rest of the band get the same without me having to mic up or use a DI box betweent he head and the cab.
  • cbellanga said:
    Can you use it just for the effects into a valve amp and bypass the amp modelling?
    yep, that's what I've been doing for some time
    How have you found it? I know that you had an FX8 for some time and was wondering how it compared.

I think we may be talking about 2 different things...I meant the ability to assign an effect as a global stompbox - so that any changes you make to the settings of that pedal are reflected in all the patches that use that pedal.

I think you are talking about the ability to have a mode where all the pedals in a patch are footswitchable.
    Ah right, I get it - my mistake, apologies to Chris.  

Yes the ability the save your settings as stompboxes is very handy indeed, especially your favourite EQ settings.
  • I find it quite weird how little interest the GT-1000 is getting generally. There are still no 'GT-1000 vs' videos on youtube that are worth looking at, so I have no idea how it stacks up to the competition.