Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA: Guitar Guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• I played two of these in GG today the black one and cherry both had alot / too much neck relief especially the black the action was really high and the neck was bowed must of been when they were shipped i guess
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited February 2019
    I played two of these in GG today the black one and cherry both had alot / too much neck relief especially the black the action was really high and the neck was bowed must of been when they were shipped i guess
    It's mad that they can hang them on the wall like this. I wonder how long they've been in stock. It could have happened over time 

Edit: come to think of it, maybe this is why they haven't been sold?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    The 63 reissue 335 I bought last year needed quite a tweak on the truss rod too.

Easy enough to do, but, I did note the setup out the box was awful. 
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1410
    I played two of these in GG today the black one and cherry both had alot / too much neck relief especially the black the action was really high and the neck was bowed must of been when they were shipped i guess
    I also found the action high even after setting the relief.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I'm assuming these are the Memphis ones that we were told were incoming back in the R8 rush. If so they've come from the European warehouse and could have been there a while.

Are these 18 or 17 serials?
    18 serials
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    hyperben said:
    18 serials
    Probably too recent for those types of issues then I guess?

Perhaps one area of the warehouse wasn't properly climate controlled?
    terada said:
    hyperben said:
    18 serials
    Probably too recent for those types of issues then I guess?

They are all slim necks. I assume these are more prone to movement than thicker necks
    edited February 2019
    Thomann have a '58 in natural for a smidge over the guitarguitar asking price (blame the exchange rate):

https://m.thomann.de/gb/gibson_1958_es_335_58_natural_2.htm

This could be a different model year though

https://guitar.com/review/gibson-memphis-1958-es-335-vos-review/
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    hyperben said:

They are all slim necks. I assume these are more prone to movement than thicker necks
    compared to R8/9's etc then yes they are slimmer - But sold plenty of SG's with a 60's slimmer profile and no issue - The 61 ES335's aren't skinny as such, just slimmer than a meaty 50's neck - I think it is just a set-up issue either with Gibson and/or GG

The one on my bench for a customer has settled down now - I did the work on it then left it for 48 hours to allow the severe adjustment to settle in and now all okay
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    if the truss is the only gripe and once corrected is fine then WTF! we are getting spectacularly nit picky perhaps
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    edited February 2019
    Chris_J said:
    The 63 reissue 335 I bought last year needed quite a tweak on the truss rod too.

I would label all of these posts as `vendor ` not manufacturer problems personally.
    Tweaking truss rods is hardly a major setup issue anyway....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    mgaw said:
    if the truss is the only gripe and once corrected is fine then WTF! we are getting spectacularly nit picky perhaps
    Don't think anyone's having a moan, it's just an observation that this particular batch of guitars needs a bigger truss adjustment than usual out of the box, probably double. It's unusual. There must be a reason for it
    tFB Trader
    mgaw said:
    it isn't an issue to those who know what to do to correct it

But what about those who receive such a guitar, with a bowed neck and a poor action and think well this is not what I expected and return it

The customer who brought his 335 into me just thought it did not play well and asked me to have a look at it and see what I could do to improve it - Normally I would not have passed comment, but I wasn't the first to talk about a severe amount of adjustment required and it appears to be more than just a coincidence - A slight tweak is fine but this was a serious amount of adjustment - So much so that I wanted to leave it on the bench for 2 days to see how it settled down

I don't mind as I can charge a fee for correcting what should not have had to be corrected
    tFB Trader
    matone said:
    Chris_J said:

I would label all of these posts as `vendor ` not manufacturer problems personally.
    Tweaking truss rods is hardly a major setup issue anyway....
    I agree a minor adjustment is a matter of taste and how you want the guitar set up - I know of very few who would wish to buy such a guitar with a severe bow on it that needs nearly a full turn and 2 days to settle down

Maybe I'm just to fussy about how a 4K guitar should be presented to a potential customer - No one is perfect I know but coincidence that a few customers have had the same issue with the same/similar guitar
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    mgaw said:
    Don't think anyone's having a moan, it's just an observation that this particular batch of guitars needs a bigger truss adjustment than usual out of the box, probably double. It's unusual. There must be a reason for it
    agree
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    I’ve always found that slimmer mahogany necks “move” more than the equivalent maple one so I tend to adjust them incrementally rather than in one larger adjustment, although there are as many theories on this as 335’s sold ;)
    I find it astonishing that they're hanging on the walls of shops like this.  Have they not bothered because they are so discounted?  Or are they discounted because the necks are bowed and no one's bought them?
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    who knows
    tFB Trader
    I must admit, I've now signed of on this 61 ES335 - all adjustments made - And it is a blommin' nice bit of kit - Customer should be collecting later
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom