SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD 1969 Gibson J50 £1350

CbingCbing Frets: 20
edited February 2019 in Acoustics £
Gibson J50 From 1969. These are a J45 In Natural rather than sunburst.

This is one of the first guitars with the square shoulder rather than the earlier sloping shoulder model and importantly still has the desired single X bracing pattern. 

Original adjustable bridge.

Condition wise this is in good condition for a 50 year old guitar. The frets are fine with not much wear, the fretboard has some wear near the nut pictured but not noticeable when playing. The guitar has had Groovers fitted at some point and these are included in the sale but I have put the original tuners back on.

It’s currently strung with 12’s and plays and sounds fantastic.

As per the last pic Gibson themselves are struggling to date and can only say between 63-69. From my research the square shoulder body shape came in around late 68 and the bracing was changed from this style to the double X in 1970. The adjustable bridge was changed in 1970 and also the made in USA started being added in 1970 which leads me to believe this is a 1969. 

Collection preferred from Doncaster but maybe able to meet. I’d rather not post this one but would at your risk.  

Might consider trades for guitars or
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Lovely colour in that top. 
    What is the nut width please?

Andy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Interesting about the date of the square shoulders. I have a similar  j45 and the serial number dates it to 67.
  • CbingCbing Frets: 20
    edited February 2019
    I could be wrong it maybe earlier but doesn’t look to be later! I was able to find sloping shoulder j50’s up until 68 (presuming they were dated right!) 
  • CbingCbing Frets: 20
    edited February 2019
    The nut width is 43mm and the previous owner advised the string spacing had been very slightly widened to make playing more comfortable. It plays really nicely and trial welcome if your nearby.