Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fads..

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11812
    I've noticed Amps get the amp of the year/month alot then people sell them off fast when they go out of fashion 

Two of these makes does seem to be Victory and Blackstar. I know Laney had the same a few years back with the Ironheart series, while marshall and Orange seem to just remain the big two. 

Does anyone think that these companies that once were the next big thing come back into fashion. 
    Victory and Blackstar appear 'faddish' because nobody actually buys them, they are both given out to young influencers like sweets at halloween. All the ACM students that work at Andertons seem to think that Victory are great ("sick tones bruv, it djents with this Chapman") despite the fact that I've never encountered anyone in the real world actually using one.
    My brother in law has or had a Blackstar 1 watt head thing.  I have a friend who has a Blackstar 5W combo thing, neither of them are into forums or up to date what is fad.

Neither of them have ever heard of Bogner or Lazy J until they seen mine.  But is Bogner a fad? the brand is like 30 years old!
    I think the Blackstar 1w and 5w options are much more mainstream as they are probably the most useable and accessible valve home/practice amps out there.

I think Bogner did have its fad phase in the mid-2000s at the same kinda time as Diezel (and Mesa Dual Recs) when they were in vogue for American high-gain tones, but expensive and harder to get over here.
    To be fair, during those times, the 20th Silva Anniversary or the Dual Rec are both amazing amps and stood the test of time and the "fad" for those amps are fully deserved.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2304
    edited February 2019
    I've noticed Amps get the amp of the year/month alot then people sell them off fast when they go out of fashion 

Two of these makes does seem to be Victory and Blackstar. I know Laney had the same a few years back with the Ironheart series, while marshall and Orange seem to just remain the big two. 

Does anyone think that these companies that once were the next big thing come back into fashion. 
    Victory and Blackstar appear 'faddish' because nobody actually buys them, they are both given out to young influencers like sweets at halloween. All the ACM students that work at Andertons seem to think that Victory are great ("sick tones bruv, it djents with this Chapman") despite the fact that I've never encountered anyone in the real world actually using one.
    Got a Sheriff 22 and a Kraken for two different bands. The Sheriff does the Marshall thing brilliantly, but sounds better and has more features than the DSLs and is cheaper and more manageable (size/volume/tone at usable volume) than a JCM/JVM.

Kraken just has two different flavours of metal tone in it, and I knew I liked the Sheriff, so I figured I'd try it, and I love it! I did think it was too loud but now I'm in a metal project rather than just noodling at home it's great.

Yes they've probably been brought to my attention due to their social media presence and current faddishness, but unless I need crystal clear cleans, these two amps have pretty much all the tones I'd need/be interested in covered. Can't see them being replaced when the next fad rolls around because I just think they're bloody good.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure about fads but when I started to play in bands was roughly about the time affordable valve amps started to appear. There were a couple at the time that were touted as being incredible value and the first truly affordable valve amps. One of them was the Randall RG50TC, which I bought and it was awful.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I remember that amp !!! Carol Ann !!!

Whatever happened to that brand? It's gone totally off the radar.

There’s one sat in my practice room along with another fad in Friedman.

Marshall have finally decided to make what I’ve wanted but I gave up waiting. 
  • I remember that amp !!! Carol Ann !!!

Carol Ann's are stunning at what they do - still available new (think Peach do them), and highly sort after int he states.  Definitely not "off the radar".

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited February 2019
    The paint and paper people?
    My thoughts exactly when I read the thread title.

They were once THE place to get paint and paper. What's the 'in' shop for that sort of thing now?

Back on topic. Nothing wrong with Fender, Mesa Boogie and Marshall.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    edited February 2019
    The new 20w range? Have you played either of them? The single channel Plexi looks great. 

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    edited February 2019
    Simple isn't it, everything like is a timeless and consistent classic, and everything other people like that I don't is just a passing fad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    The new 20w range? Have you played either of them? The single channel Plexi looks great. 

Yeah I’m tempted by the Plexi and JCM but I’m happy with the Friedman so I’m going to not try the Marshall.

Well maybe at some point when I give in.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    I’ve never understood why this fad thing happens with amps. I don’t buy what’s fashionable I buy what I like and what sounds best for my needs. 

I always thought that the high end market of pedals and amps are only there due to marketing. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    edited February 2019
    Bought the JCM800 20w. Arriving tmw!

The Plexi looks too loud for me and I don’t like having no Master. Worried the JCM will be too 80’s, but I believe they have a lot of variety too.