NGD: 1986 Les Paul Studio

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
edited February 2019 in Guitar
As some of you may be aware, I have been looking for an older Studio for a while and this grabbed my attention on eBay last week and I put in a cash offer and picked it up the same day.

It's a 1986 Les Paul Studio in ebony with a rosewood 'board and a lovely thicker neck profile. The body is a touch thinner than my Standard and has a lovely weight to it. It will be off for a refret for bigger wire so it plays more like my number one. I haven't whipped the pickups out yet - any ideas what they should be? I'll probably put in some Mules as well. Also needs a metal jack plate and i'll put an aluminium tailpiece on it too. It's been well played and it's nicely worn in (which is why i'm not keen on new guitars generally) but needs just a bit of fettling to get to my tastes. Quick and dirty pics:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    From a position of profound ignorance I think the pickups in the 80s and 90s ones are 490R and 498T but I could be very wrong, It rings bells with what was on the spec for mine, though (late 90s, and seen more violence than yours, ir would appear!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    490R/498T set would be normal.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    That looks lovely.

I would suggest playing it for a period before deciding what 'your taste' is. It just might be that you find something that works for and inspires you. If not you still have the option to change things up and will hear the difference if you do. If you change Pickups then pots and caps makes sense at the same time (or even before).

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    ESBlonde said:
    That looks lovely.

I would suggest playing it for a period before deciding what 'your taste' is. It just might be that you find something that works for and inspires you. If not you still have the option to change things up and will hear the difference if you do. If you change Pickups then pots and caps makes sense at the same time (or even before).

Thanks for the comment and I agree with your points. However, I have been through similar 'journeys' with other LPs and I know that the mods/pickup choices just work for me.
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    Looks very cool, good buy chap
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Still want a 90s studio with HBs. Ideally the white one. HNGD. 
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 962
    I didn't know they made them this early. What was the first year of production and when did they stop using the dot inlays? Are the 80's guitars better than 90's versions in some way?
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Keiko said:
    I didn't know they made them this early. What was the first year of production and when did they stop using the dot inlays? Are the 80's guitars better than 90's versions in some way?
    1983 was the first year of production. The use of dots and usual inlays seems to be pretty random, as does the use of rosewood and ebony boards.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

nah that's rubbish ... definitely should have bought my one instead, even if it doesn't have inlays .. ;)

happy NGD, love the look of one with genuine wear on it!

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 710
    edited February 2019
    Lusted after these as a kid when the first came out. Always wanted a wine red one but was so out of my price range. Nice buy! Enjoy
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    rico said:
    Keiko said:
    1983 was the first year of production. The use of dots and usual inlays seems to be pretty random, as does the use of rosewood and ebony boards.
    recall early examples had a deeper body, but changed to a thinner spec but can't recall when

It was common for spec's to change almost on an adhoc basis, so chances are it would have been based on some 'reject' woods for more expensive models like a Std or Custom  - Ebony or rosewood - Gig bag or case - Dot or trap inlays - Chrome or gold hardware

Recall some early models had an alder body ? - Trying to recall when I last saw one and again some early models might have had Tim Shaw p/ups but again I can't recall last time I saw one that was equipped with them - Due to values of TS p/ups I dare say any/many would have now been raided