Good quality dining table?

What's Hot
Had a look online and in a fairly well regarded (and pricey) store for a small (4 person) Square dining table, that possibly extends, with a light wood top (bamboo, oak, teak?) and either wooden or metal legs, and chairs or chairs and a bench to match.

Thing I have learned is price absolutely does not equate to quality and some expensive ones look slapped together while some cheap ones feel heavy enough to be lead (assuming it's mdf with a veneer). 

Any recommendations? Budget of up to 500 or so, but preferably less. Can prioritise two chairs and table and get more chairs later. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danodano Frets: 1568
    edited February 2019
    I bought a table and bench from RCC Furniture and been very happy with it. 2m table and bench  was just over £500 and it's all handmade stuff in Sheffield. . Check out their website https://www.rcc-furniture.com
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    edited February 2019
    Check out your local auction house. Good quality furniture is so cheap it is ridiculous.
    For example, i bought an Edwardian solid oak extending dining table 9 feet fully extended, in good order for £90
    when I visited on Saturday, they had two Ercol dining tables, hand made in uk from solid wood, v cool mid-century style. One was estimated at £80-120 with six chairs. New, the tables are £1000+ and the chairs £3-400 each.
    Go to tv advertised furniture outlets, turn £500 into £50 in an afternoon.

New furniture, unless beds/sofas, could be seen as wasting guitar money.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    As above, If you like vintage/retro, check out Ercol. You should be able to get a nice 60s table and chairs for your budget and when you come to sell it again. you'll probably make money on it too. 
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    My parents just bought one from these guys:

https://www.danetti.com/dining-furniture/dining-tables

Might be worth a looksie.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • Ercol! Ladyprettydamned's mum has one that's fantastic. Well, built well at least - it's heavily used.

Would love one - and they seem common at auction. Thanks all! Reckon I could probably sand back and refinish easily enough. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    GuyR said:
    Check out your local auction house. Good quality furniture is so cheap it is ridiculous.
    For example, i bought an Edwardian solid oak extending dining table 9 feet fully extended, in good order for £90
    when I visited on Saturday, they had two Ercol dining tables, hand made in uk from solid wood, v cool mid-century style. One was estimated at £80-120 with six chairs. New, the tables are £1000+ and the chairs £3-400 each.

This. Find yourself a nice oak gateleg  table. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    GuyR said:

Excellent advice
    we bought a fantastic big oval table in a nasty brown faux mahogany but lovely shape and legs
    One afternoon with an orbital sander and primer/paint and it's a superb table that everybody comments on
    it cost £44 plus some elbow grease !!!!!!!
    I've just thought, I have a spare extending table and four chairs in my studio, it was made by Gordon Russell in the 50s. I acquired it along with a sideboard that I bought to renovate. It would need a little TLC although the table top is in nice condition and the legs aren't too bad either. I seem to remember that when extended the method of locking the leaf into place was a little loose, which shouldn't be too difficult to sort out. The chairs would need more work and recovering - the padding seems okay though.

The table looks like this one I think (I'll check later) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1950s-1960s-Gordon-Russell-Extending-teak-and-oak-dining-table-Vintage/283373449308?hash=item41fa5fb05c:g:xbEAAOSwHAxcBa01:rk:14:pf:0

You could have the whole lot for £50.00 if it's suitable.
  • Budgie said:
    I've just thought, I have a spare extending table and four chairs in my studio, it was made by Gordon Russell in the 50s. I acquired it along with a sideboard that I bought to renovate. It would need a little TLC although the table top is in nice condition and the legs aren't too bad either. I seem to remember that when extended the method of locking the leaf into place was a little loose, which shouldn't be too difficult to sort out. The chairs would need more work and recovering - the padding seems okay though.

The table looks like this one I think (I'll check later) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1950s-1960s-Gordon-Russell-Extending-teak-and-oak-dining-table-Vintage/283373449308?hash=item41fa5fb05c:g:xbEAAOSwHAxcBa01:rk:14:pf:0

Bloody hell, that's very kind! 

I'll run it by ladyprettydamned - unfortunately, she has taken the role of interior designer and I've just managed to persuade her that second hand = good, new = expensive... 

Will let you know though - thanks! 
    Budgie said:

Bloody hell, that's very kind! 

I'll run it by ladyprettydamned - unfortunately, she has taken the role of interior designer and I've just managed to persuade her that second hand = good, new = expensive... 

Will let you know though - thanks! 
    No worries and no problem if they’re not suitable. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    If Budgie’s kind offer doesn’t work out you could try this place:

https://www.oldcreameryfurniture.com/dining-room-furniture/c90

We’ve had loads of stuff from them, including our dining room table and chairs. Most of their stuff is solid wood and it’s very reasonably priced. 

Their showroom is great, but you have to get to Yeovil. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Check gumtree as well, I sold 2 solid oak tables on there that were a month or two old, in perfect condition for circa £500 and both cost me well over £1k.
    but had to take offers to move them