Fender Rumble Amps - user/owner comments please

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
edited February 2019 in Bass
Whilst in Andertons yesterday, trying and buying another Sire bass, I was plugged into a 25W Fender Rumble bass amp and I was really impressed. Big, real and lovely sound that suited both active and passive sounds and a nice bell like tone, which I like. I tend to need a compressor to get that sound but it was there in this small bundle, especially when I activated the Contour switch

I've plugged into one of the bigger, earlier version combo models a few years ago and remember being impressed on that occasion as well.

I'd be interested to hear what people think and if a 200W does the job for pub gigs? I know it's recommended that you have a high wattage amp for bass and head room etc but I've been using a Roland Bass Cube 120 watter for the last few years and it's been fine.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    The Rumble amps are exceptionally good. 

I’ve played quite a few gigs where the house amp has been a rumble 500 and it’s done a cracking job.

In my opinion, the price difference - and most importantly the size and weight difference - makes the 500 a no brainer over the 200. 

The 500 is a classic and has a huge following - there’s an extension can available if you need any more heft later on. 

Well worth every penny. The 500’s come up for sale secondhand on Basschat every now and again and get snapped up pretty quick. 
  • I've bought a Rumble 100 for guitar and I think it is fantastic. I've not really put it through its paces as a bass amp.

BUT note that the 200 is only 140w with the internal speaker - it is 200w with an extension cab. I'm not sure that the extra money for another 40 watts is worth it. Maybe the 500 would be better (350 watts with just the internal speaker)
  • I always forget which one my son has,I think it’s the 40. It was used in The 2Tone Automatics when the bassist’s own amp blew up and managed a gig with no sweat. A small 1x10 combo obviously didn’t offer huge depth of sound but it was loud enough. So I’d imagine the 200w would be fine for Cairo East. 
    The built in overdrive is surprisingly versatile should you need to throw a Motörhead cover into the set. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Thanks chaps.

Surprisingly, there's not a lot of difference in weight between the 200 and the 500 and about £100 difference in price for new.
    Kebabkid said:
    Thanks chaps.

Surprisingly, there's not a lot of difference in weight between the 200 and the 500 and about £100 difference in price for new.
    Exactly - which is why the 500 is a much better option!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    edited February 2019
    Fender's wattage ratings are misleading. Rumble 200 and 500 models only achieve that sort of power when driving their internal loudspeaker plus a suitable external cabinet. 

Thus, by itself, the Rumble 200 will be no more powerful than the Roland Bass Cube.
    Be seeing you.
    Fender's wattage ratings are misleading. Rumble 200 and 500 models only achieve that sort of power when driving their internal loudspeaker plus a suitable external cabinet. 

Thus, by itself, the Rumble 200 will be no more powerful than the Roland Bass Cube.
    Interestingly, there’s a 500 plus extension cab on one of the Facebook bass classifieds groups right now for 600 notes. 

That’s 500w and 4x10 of fender goodness for the price of a reasonable class D 500w head... 
  • I’ve had my 500 rumble 2x10 for about a year now. I picked up the 1x15 extension cab shortly after buying the amp but to be honest it’s a bit overkill for pub gigs so have never used it at a gig. The combo runs at 350 watts by itself and 500 with the cab. I play either a p bass or a stingray through mine (usually the P) and it covers plenty of ground for the varied stuff we play. I was debating between the rumble and a mark bass but the equivalent wattage mark bass combo was around 350 notes more than the fender, too spendy for me!
    well chuffed with mine and would definitely recommend the 500 over the 200. It’s still a tidy package.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    edited February 2019
    Cheers @bandmaster188 and the 500 sounds like it's the one and has plenty enough for me and I wouldn't need an extension cab.

With my Roland Bass Cube, the one big gig we did (an outdoor festival), it didn't matter about the volume as I took a DI out from the amp. However, as pleasing as that amp is, from what I've heard so far, the Rumble sounds better and I preferred it.
  • They do sound great with the extension cab though, a lot heftier! But my cab  gets used more as a spare chair in the music room than it does for gigging.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    edited February 2019
    They do sound great with the extension cab though, a lot heftier! But my cab  gets used more as a spare chair in the music room than it does for gigging.
    I’ve got a Trace Elliot that’s been nicknamed “The Chair” in our house
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I gig with a 500 and it does a great job filling out the low end. At first, I thought it sounded woolly with not much definition so I did a Google and read about having the gain too high (I used to set it at 12.00-1.00). The next gig I set the gain at 9.00 and it was much better.

I also have a 40 in my den for practicing, they’re great amps IMHO.
    edited February 2019
    Does anyone DI these? If so, what's the sound like and some reviewer on YT mentioned a down point was that it was linked or controlled by the Master - don't get that??
    Kebabkid said:
    Does anyone DI these? If so, what's the sound like and some reviewer on YT mentioned a down point was that it was linked or controlled by the Master - don't get that??
    Yes the master volume does control the DI out which means you can’t have separate levels for the internal speaker and the level output through DI
    edited February 2019
    Kebabkid said:
    Yes the master volume does control the DI out which means you can’t have separate levels for the internal speaker and the level output through DI
    Ah, I see. That is a pain and restrictive I thought I could get a smaller one for home that I could DI for gigs (as spare)
    Kebabkid said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Ah, I see. That is a pain and restrictive I thought I could get a smaller one for home that I could DI for gigs (as spare)
    If you def. want both a combo and DI then there are better (but more expensive choices).

I don’t bother with the combo bit - I DI from a pedal and have a PA wedge for monitor. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • While the preamp controls including gain affect the balanced line out, you can use the effects send instead
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    +1 for the 500.  I have one, albeit only for home use, and it's wonderful.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    I’ve got a Trace Elliot that’s been nicknamed “The Chair” in our house
    What nickname has been bestowed on your Marshall DBS rig?
    Be seeing you.