Thinking of 'downgrading' from my Taylor 414ce

What's Hot
So I have a Taylor 414ce, it's a beautiful guitar, I love the sound of it but I've only played it once this year..

So I'm thinking about selling to free up a little cash and replace with a slightly cheaper acoustic for the few times a year I may pick it up .. currently looking at the Faith brand of Acoustics, i tried one out and didn't like it years ago but I think it was just badly set up .. 

So my question to TFB is.. Will there be a noticeable drop in sound quality? or feel.. or anything else? ....

The plugged in sound is fantastic of the Taylor is awesome but I've only used it for two gigs in the three years i've had it.... I guess the Faith may not be quite as good in that respect?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    The answer is Yes, Taylor guitars have a sound of their own. But I played a Sigma acoustic recently and was very impressed. Dirt cheap too.   Did not sound like a Taylor but still very nice. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Do you need the money? If not then keep it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

Personally, I'd regard a Faith as an upgrade from a Taylor.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I owned the exact same guitar and I found it bit boxy. In all truth my old Yamaha LL6 has better tone than that did and cost a fraction of the price.
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 185
    Do you need the money? If not then keep it.
    not desperately, but when gas strikes and all :-)

• mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 185
    crunchman said:

oooohhhh, why's that? ..  it's been ages since I've played any acoustic other than my Taylor so genuinely intrigued ...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    If you want a cheaper equivalent to a Taylor, look at Tanglewood and Turner - they both make 'Taylor style' guitars.

I know Faith seem to be very popular, but I've never played one I've liked.

I'd still keep the Taylor though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I used to own a faith and I thought it was great... Until I took it to coda.
    Compared to the 2k Taylor/Martin stuff it was nowhere near.
    I wouldn't personally make the change down.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    mrleon83 said:
    crunchman said:

oooohhhh, why's that? ..  it's been ages since I've played any acoustic other than my Taylor so genuinely intrigued ...
    I'm not a big fan of Taylors.  They sound thin compared to a good Martin style guitar, and I don't like the necks.  I must admit I haven't played some of the newer ones, which are reputed to be better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom