Function Bands with revolving members

What's Hot
MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
I'm looking to get into decent level function work, and a friend of mine used to sing with a band that had a load of different members for each instrument like a football squad, then people would do certain shows, and others would do the rest.

I can't remember what this band was called (and i've lost his number) does anyone know of a similar set up ?

cheers
Rik

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    It's quite a common arrangement for function bands in my experience, you can't cancel someone's wedding just because your bass player is ill, for example. 

Even in my 5-piece wedding band I have three people on standby and I'm the only member who's done every single gig over the last five years. 

They could do it without me with some preparation but it's the only scenario which hasn't cropped up yet.  
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited March 2019
    I used to play in a few bands like that when I was doing corporate functions and weddings. I was generally one of the core members, but still had deps stand in for me when I wasn't available.

The only one I'm aware of that's still going is called The London Showband, which I retired from a few years ago.

I think most big corporate function bands probably operate in the way you describe to a certain extent. 

It's not a competition.
  • It would be worth having a chat with the booking agents for the various bands who could point you in the right direction hopefully and also dep musicians groups on Facebook etc. It is a very common thing in my experience and of course the reason songs became “standards”.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
     I do for gigs for a few bands that work like that - usually a couple of core members and anyone else can be covered if the band member can’t play with a list of possible deps.     Can get a bit interesting on those nights when almost everyone on stage hasn’t played together before but I quite like having to concentrate that hard and bounce if each other. 

Good advice to share your cv with some agents but I’d also have a look for local function bands and offer your services - the more you do and spread your name around the more gigs will come as people who with with several bands might hear of someone in need.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Can you read?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    I'm sure I've seen a dep site somewhere that you can sign up to.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Don't think it happens so much with the part time crowd, but pretty much every function band I've worked with that's made up of full-timers has worked like this. I've been with my soul band for five years, but fit it in around touring production work etc, and for the last few years my deps have done more of the gigs than I have. We've done 10 piece shows with five people we've never met before. It's not at all unusual - a lot of function bands cover fairly common ground, and when you're doing it all the time you get used to picking up new material and busking a lot. 

In terms of finding it - bands like this usually only publically advertise as a last resort. If I'm booking deps or putting something together for an event, I've got a bunch of guys I'll always call on. If the regulars aren't about, everyone's got their own set of well trusted deps. If a dep gig gets posted online, it's often because the usual immediate network of people has been exhausted, in my experience. 

So - how's your network with those sorts of bands? Putting the feelers out through people you know that you're actively looking for the work and getting a recommendation that way is going to be the most effective route, if you've got connections to do it. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    edited March 2019
    I read the thread title as "Function Bands with revolting members". Probably reads better.....    ;)

• monkey42monkey42 Frets: 336
    Yes, we are a function band and have a No.1 and then No. 2 drummer. We’re normally the same lineup but have all members covered. In fact sometimes I’ve subbed on either or bass or drums and we’ve then called a guitarist in.

its quite common for covers bands
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    It's common and it's another case of who you know, or who you know that knows someone. These contacts or relationships are vital to build if you want those late calls.
    I ran an 8 piece soul band for 17 years, I only had one gig where I had a dep for myself and once came home from holiday a day early to cover another. Brass players being mostly readers were usually the least reliable over the long term, but getting a dep was a regular feature. Singers too could be a bit of a problem as we had two girls front the outfit. A personal recomendation from someone in the band or a trusted friend was always preferred when seeking a dep.
    These days old friends call me to dep and I also offer myself on local joinmyband ads as a dep when people are looking for a ful time replacement. Usually they don't want a dep but sometimes it pays off down the line.
    Because good paying work is harder to find I've done like a number of others and become a member of 3 regular bands doing differing styles. When classes occur in the diary the choices are turn it down, do it short handed or get in a dep.
    Gigging with lots of people/bands seems to be the way for many people now. Keyboard players particularly seem to have the pick of the well paid gigs in this area. Balancing a diary and requests for availability with multiple bands is a skill I have aquired.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    I used to dep for a friend's function band. It started as a favour when they were left in the lurch and I had a week to learn the songs(!) then carried on with 3 or 4 gigs a year until I moved away.
    We had a Xmas meal once for the core band + all the deps. There were about 20 people there and it was a five piece band!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    octatonic said:
    Can you read?
    eof0 nm3nm290d mdmmd0 020
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Tailored Entertainment near me operate as you describe, group of good players sent out to various weddings and corporate gigs. Lot of my friends do it, moneys not bad
    I've done a lot of that kind of thing, reading music isn't necessary .... in fact with stage lights you wouldn't see to read the gig half the time BUT the ability to change key on the fly is vital as different singers prefer different keys.
    In my experience it's mainly a common pool of  songs like Uptown Funk, Shut up and Dance, Valerie, Brightside etc with some more modern stuff from people like Ed Sheeran, James Bay, Rag n Bone man etc. 

Basically it's turn up - choose key and sort intros and ends (tops & tails) 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Most people on the 'circuit' I know are involved in similar things and everybody can interchange as required.
     All great musicians but none read music, or at least not as part of this, in fact nobody tends to have any sheets and I always try to avoid bringing just chord sheets to gigs as it goes straight into memory when not written down.

I'm on the periphery, I've depped but more often get depped as I have a full time job and need to spend a bit of time that isn't work or gigs.

But yeah, like Danny says above, as long as any decent player knows the name of the song, key and has one run through or a quick discussion before the gig it should be a smooth transition.

Most cover gig songs are really easy, I find just doing that blunts my knowledge more than twiddling at home, which currently I don't do enough of......
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Moltisanti said:
    "Function bands with revolving members".
    Presumably, The White Strips?
    Be seeing you.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    The guy who runs the local music shop and his guitar tech are part of a network of function musicians who quite often play with different band members on any one night - they can sort of be swapped in and swapped out but generally get to know each other and become more familiar. I'll ask him about the name of it, I think it's a national thing. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Is that why bands are called the turn?