New Jimmie Vaughan album

What's Hot
jamesoliver1234jamesoliver1234 Frets: 1268
edited March 2019 in Guitar
Jimmie vaughan has a new cd coming out in May this is one of the tracks off it.. i think its brilliant .. what do you lot think?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Love the sound, love his instantly recognisable playing, thought the lyrics were annoyingly inane...just do an instrumental if that’s the best you can do....
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Lewy said:
    Love the sound, love his instantly recognisable playing, thought the lyrics were annoyingly inane...just do an instrumental if that’s the best you can do....
    It’s a cover. Etta James. 

I like it. Always preferred Jimmie to Stevie, not that comparing them is a worthwhile pursuit. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    JDE said:
    Lewy said:

I like it. Always preferred Jimmie to Stevie, not that comparing them is a worthwhile pursuit. 
    I did wonder whether it was a cover or not. I can imagine it making more sense coming from her.
  • Big Jimmie fan here, even bigger George Rains fan. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Ta for the alert. Another Jimmy fan.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    I love Jimmie, its eight years since his last studio release so I'm really excited. Remember listening to Strange Pleasure for the first time, brilliant record. Seen him live several times and met him three times. Nice guy. I was tempted to go to his London gig which is serving as this albums release party.
  • @Strat54  he’s doing 3 nights with Clapton and dingwalls and that’s it no other uk dates which a real shame..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    I love Jimmie, its eight years since his last studio release so I'm really excited. Remember listening to Strange Pleasure for the first time, brilliant record. Seen him live several times and met him three times. Nice guy. I was tempted to go to his London gig which is serving as this albums release party.
    I only have Strange Pleasure but like the album - pointless comparing him as a player to SRV - But I like the groove regarding many of his songs - They don't need a blistering solo to work

I'm a big SRV fan, but appreciate the different 'voice' of Jimmie

Have a couple of Fab Thunderbird albums which I like - Not played them for a while, so will dig them out today

Will try this new album in May - Thanks for the notification @jamesoliver1234 ;
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1083
    JDE said:
    Lewy said:

Same, I struggle getting into SRV... I feel like I'm the only one not getting it when I listen.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Jimmie vaughan has a new cd coming out in May this is one of the tracks off it.. i think its brilliant .. what do you lot think?

I've no link there?

I think Jimmie is one of the greats of blues guitar, certainly one of the greatest white electric blues guitarists ever. There are, however, definite issues with quality control and it's easy to find a dodgy cover or sub standard live track. But on the best of his studio solo recordings and on the best off his work with the Fabulous Thunderbirds there is minimalism, subtlety and invention. Probably very little that you could wow anybody with, it's definitely in the legacy of artists like Lighting Hopkins and T Bone Walker rather than based on blues rock history or even the relative showmanship of someone like BB King. Artists like Clapton, Steve Miller, Billy Gibbons rate him highly. I guess these days they are all mates but Jimmie is a credible link to earlier Texas blues and maybe people with old school ears appreciate that. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Jimmie’s playing on the first four T-Birds albums is exemplary. Big fan of the ‘Do You Get the Blues’ album too. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    Yeah I know thanks. I saw him with the trio in the US last year which was amazing. Not sure I can top that. Last time he came anywhere other than London was to the Maryport Blues Fest in 2008.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    AlexO said:
    Same, I struggle getting into SRV... I feel like I'm the only one not getting it when I listen.

I think it’s predominantly the hats that put me off him, tbf. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    edited January 2020
    My daughter bought me this for Christmas. Only got around to playing it this afternoon (needed something to chill to after being stuck by the roadside for eight hours last night with a broken car!). Anyway, an excellent album. My first by JV but certainly won't be my last. Love the clean understated playing which is never showy but perfectly suits the songs. Little bit of Google research shows that his gear is pretty minimal - Jimmie Vaughan signature MIM Strat, Boss tremolo pedal, and a pair of Grammatico amps. That really seems to be about it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    HAL9000 said:
    My daughter bought me this for Christmas. Only got around to playing it this afternoon (needed something to chill to after being stuck by the roadside
    Sorry to hear that........I understand Jimmie has another album to drop called:

"BABY, PLEASE COME HOME VIA THE RAC"................ ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020
    Loved the earlier stuff too.....Strange Pleasure and Out There are brilliant. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CmO2hq-6JU
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253

I like a bit of the Fabulous Thunderbirds and thought Jimmie's first couple of solo albums were great but then he started delving further into rehashed blues and we went our separate ways. 

I can't imagine that track selling to anyone who isn't happy listening to very straight up blues but it sounds like Jimmie and he does have such a distinct feel for all this stuff. I've got some old Hubert Sumlin solo stuff somewhere and, from memory, it's comparable with that. 
    He's an old chap having fun, it is what it is. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Loved the earlier stuff too.....Strange Pleasure and Like A King are brilliant. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CmO2hq-6JU
    big fan of Strange Pleasure as well
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I’ll have a listen.  The cover looks like Don Vito Corleone playing a Strat.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom