Rexter Guitars - custom painting, restoration & refinishing

What's Hot

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    rexter said:
    lovely work, i even like the nashville tele
    cheers buddy! You not normally a fan of the Nashville config? 

No it's not that i think I'm just a short scale player, i like the f style stuff but would probably get on better with a dc junior with a tele bridge and strat neck type guitar

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2260
    Some lovely work going on there @rexter ;

• rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @rze99 hope all is good for you!

OK here's some nice pictures a customer sent to me the other day. I refinished this 1964 Jazzmaster for him back in 2017 I think but he just had a bit of a photoshoot. This was a silver basecoat CAR, which we decided was period correct for 1964. Not normally one for tort guards on custom colours, but he wanted to use the original guard on this guitar and I think it looks great!

I took a lot of measurements from this guitar while I was working on it to make templates and those are nearly ready, so this spring/summer when I have a bit of time (god willing) I'll be making some JM bodies from these for the real vintage nerds. Probably by a combination of CNC and hand woodworking. Got my vintage Jaguar templates and CNC files (made from a 1966 and a 1964 body) sorted last week so they're also on the cards soon too.

I also spent some time this week on trying some new methods for creating that ubiquitous aged and worn effect on the back of maple necks. A pet peeve of mine is seeing it as a horrible black patch with an abrupt transition and streaky orange lacquer unevenly sanded off. I've been lucky to play a few unmolested 1960s Fender necks in the last few weeks which spurred me on to put some work in on this.

Getting there I think, but I still reckon it's always going to be a case of treading a thin line with this kind of work as it can so easily go too far, especially when you're taking stain to a bare maple neck. I'm going to stick to my less is more approach.

Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Totally with you on the fake black back of necks. Most of them just look crap. Your shots look lovely, much more realistic and appealing. If you are going to be making vintage correct JMs I just might have to sell a Tele or two to order one!
  • Got to say, your work amazes me! I think they're the best aged guitars I've seen and this is my favourite thread!

I keep scheming in my head about ordering something from you ... One day!

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    I think less is more in the real ageing work, i also take it slowly over a bit of time if possible adding bits as i go

Anyway great work, i like the vintage nerdery, it's just like me with my stuff 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Wow, it's a while since I posted in the thread. Bit of a funny month or so, in fact god knows where the last few months have gone... anyway here's a few pictures of things I've been up to lately. Bit of a photo-dump I'm afraid  :)

Anyone remember my Black Cherry Sparkle Mustang body? Got a picture back from the customer who just finished the build. I like it!

Also, this was very cool to see - some more pictures by a customer who recently finished their build.

This is one of my aged Firemist Silver JM bodies paired with a Danocaster maple neck. Dan is a cool guy and I love his work so this made me happy to see people on offsetguitars.com enjoying this one so much. Gets me thinking now that those new Hosco maple Jazzmaster necks are here in the UK! 

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wow @rexter fantastic work. Love the Firemist and Blue Ice metallic types... just gorgeous!
    tFB Trader
    rze99 said:
    Wow @rexter fantastic work. Love the Firemist and Blue Ice metallic types... just gorgeous!
    Thank you Richard! Yeah, I do tend to gravitate towards them, far prefer working with metallics than solid colours really, just love how light sensitive they are and how nicely they take tints and ageing. 

BTW apologies for not being in touch with thinline pics - I just kind of crumpled this weekend after 12 days back to back at the workshop but some of my vigour is restored after a rest so will try to get some sorted out.  :)
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    No probs - take it steady don't do yourself in!
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 850
    rexter said:

Always admire anyone who does a solid black guitar, as you know yourself, and in my opinion, the single hardest colour to achieve a swirl free finish on. Beautiful work Jon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    @lamf68 Thanks Rich, appreciate that coming from the master himself! Hope you're good.

It's funny I was almost going to do a post on facebook along the lines of: 'The simplest finish which is actually the hardest to do' in reference to gloss black. Just did a no clearcoat black one yesterday that went well because I managed to negate the need for sanding and buffing by flatting back the penultimate black coat with 1000 grit and shooting a super level final black coat. Once aged a bit it came out looking great, a vintage kind of sheen while looking a little bit lived in.

The one in the picture did indeed give me a bit of anxiety and I think I took it back to the buffer three times before sending it out yesterday. Since I switched to using a stationary buffer and Menzerna bars my life has got a lot easier but to get something like this as you know it's probably still coming up to 2-3 hours buffing. Thanks to bloody Dave Gilmour I've had 5 black strats to do this year so far! I really need to finish getting my flake and metallic room built properly so the main room is just for solids and clear, that would be less near nervous breakdowns I think...  =)
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 850
    rexter said:
    @lamf68 Thanks Rich,

I really need to finish getting my flake and metallic room built properly so the main room is just for solids and clear, that would be less near nervous breakdowns I think...  =)
    Jon, the single best decision I made years ago was having a separate booth for Flake and Metallics, the risk of contaminants getting into solid finishes and translucent ones was huge as you well know that flake will get everywhere. I don't think everyone appreciates the effort required on a solid gloss black. The finest of scratches will look like the Friggin Mariana Trench....Great work mate. Love the Metallics you're doing to...I'm going to sponge some advice off you very soon via pm of that's okay.
    tFB Trader
    @lamf68 without a doubt man, that's why I haven't shot any flake since I moved into my new workshop even though I have multiple rooms here. I still want to quarantine that flake... 

And re the mirror finishes in general I almost feel like they should cost more, there's time in every process of course and a heavy relic will take just as long as a high gloss if done with care and precision but I feel there's far more margin for error with that. Look forward to your message - PM or a facebook message is good  :)

@lamf68 Thanks Rich,

I really need to finish getting my flake and metallic room built properly so the main room is just for solids and clear, that would be less near nervous breakdowns I think...  =)
    Jon, the single best decision I made years ago was having a separate booth for Flake and Metallics, the risk of contaminants getting into solid finishes and translucent ones was huge as you well know that flake will get everywhere. I don't think everyone appreciates the effort required on a solid gloss black. The finest of scratches will look like the Friggin Mariana Trench....Great work mate. Love the Metallics you're doing to...I'm going to sponge some advice off you very soon via pm of that's okay.
    lamf68 said:
    rexter said:
    @lamf68 Thanks Rich,

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
     Now that’s a lovely and heartwarming exchange between two immensely talented individuals -  both of whom I’m proud to call my friends...

Respect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Hi @rexter !

I'm thinking of doing a parts-master build. Just wondered if you would do a JM body for me? I'm just getting ideas of cost at the moment but probably want something in a metallic with a light/medium relic.

Send me a PM when you have time. :)

Cheers!
  • @rexter not sure if you're still doing bodies, but looking at ideas/costs about finishing a telemaster body? (Not sure if it would be possible to buy one, get it sent to you potentially)
    I'm looking at some kind of natural finish, but not sure if it would depend on the wood (ash or alder possibly) . Is it possible to have some kind of finish that would protect it from getting dinged easily?
    tFB Trader
    @Creed_Clicks hey thanks for the interest, could definitely help you. 

Given how busy busy I am at the moment it might be quicker for you to order one and have it shipped to me.

finishing a brand new body in a natural finish should be approx £220.

Of course I mainly use nitro as that’s what most people come to me for, but I recently picked up some supplies of 2k lacquer which is more like what you’d probably ‘poly’, it’s chemically cured two component acrylic finish. Hardwearing, still
    going to get dinged if you don’t baby your guitars but not as thin or fragile as nitro.  
    Drop me an email if you can as I haven’t checked in here for ages and I find it much easier to keep records of jobs in my email as have to cover so many message bases it’s crazy.

an update of this page is long overdue and will do it sometime!
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Well it's been a good few months since i posted anything here, just been crazy busy with business and life, it's a struggle managing all the channels a business needs these days!

But here are some choice cuts. Lots of nice restoration jobs coming in these days and plenty of vintage jobs.

Been handbuilding some bodies which frankly is far too much to be doing alongside all the painting and assembling, so hoping there will be a CNC setup in the workshop by next Spring. I'd like everything to be in house and bespoke to add value for my customers. That's the plan anyway, perhaps it's financial suicide! TBH though, it could go the other way and I decide to concentrate solely on refins and restoration, something to be said for streamlining services?? Any quasi Lord Sugars out there I probably need your advice... 

I've had a load of orders for these kind of 'Brownie' bodies this year and i'm starting to like them myself. I will NEVER like Clapton the man though.

Still going to always be a sucker for the metallics. 
    Thanks @SteveRobinson for this particularly nice Sherwood Green and the recommendations!

Also still loving my Burgundy Mist (this body is for sale on my website, hint hint)

Gathering a tasty collection of templates:

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    The site seems to be eating my posts and losing half of them... there was a lot more on the above post. Too long to write again but here's a few more pictures...

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom