Easy 3 Chord Thrashes

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    merlin said:
    The Birdy Song. 
    Before we were married the future MrsTheWeary and I had a romantic weekend away in Paris. We went to a restaurant in a candle lit cellar and ordered our food and wine. An accordion player came over to us, how French, how romantic, and played the Birdy Song. FFS...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HippoPeteHippoPete Frets: 121
    I’ve had endless hours of amusement (and grief) by telling people that our tune is “Happy to be stuck with you} by Huey Lewis.

In actual fact, it’s “Run for home” by Lindisfarne arising from our first date but doesn’t give the entertainment value :)
    They don't want your name, they just want your number.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Brown Eyed Girl always goes down well when we gig, as does Jumpin Jack flash & Brown Sugar.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Battleship Chains - Georgia Satellites. Two chords :wink: 
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
    We just added Lewis Capaldi’s Someone You Loved to our set if you want to include something current. Simple 4 chords repeated throughout the whole song bar an even simpler bridge section. 

C G Am F

Bridge Dm Am G G x2
  • Queens of the Stone Age - Go With the Flow
    Actually 4 chords but the structure is so simple it shouldn't trouble anyone. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    The Joker. Can be strung out as finale ad nauseum
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2959
    I can play the below (strumming badly on acoustic) and would therefore count them as simple, with no power chords, barre chords or anything that could be classed as tricky for those at Intermediate and beyond.

Viva La Vida - Coldplay  - Em-C-D-G

Stand By Me - Ben E King - G-Em-C-D

Every Breath You Take - Police - G-Em-C-D (with an A7 on 'how my poor heart aches')

Mr Tambourine Man - Dylan version

What's Up  - 4 Non Blondes

Mamma Mia - Abba

Honey Honey - Abba

Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols

Holidays In The Sun - Sex Pistols

Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen

Olivers Army - Elvis Costello

She Loves You - Beatles

I Want To Hold Your Hand - Beatles

Eight Days A Week - Beatles

Love Me Do - Beatles
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited March 2019
    Rocker said:
    All right now. 
    Provided you can play the lead solo right. It's just one of those iconic songs that the audience will really know. You can get away with playing the chords simply but in reality most folk tend to play it 'wrong' by which I mean how Paul Kossoff played it and his positioning higher up on the fret board for the ARN chorus and use of open strings in the verse power riffs.  There's more going on there than a lot of players realise.

're simple song suggestions how about 'Born to be wild' and Status Quo' Caroline and The Doors Roadhouse blues covered by quo and loads of others...very simple blues with loads of room to improvise and make it as long or short as you want and you can go from all out raunchy rocking to quiet bits etc...ie you can make it sound more than it is.  And in a similar vein, the Stones classic Jumping Jack Flash. All of these guaranteed to get your audience rocking! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    I don't think Caroline is that easy, keeping that rhythm going for nearly 4 minutes is a killer.. Rick Parfitt was a machine sadly underrated by many (ironically the 3 chord piss takers)
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    PhilW1 said:
    I don't think Caroline is that easy, keeping that rhythm going for nearly 4 minutes is a killer.. Rick Parfitt was a machine sadly underrated by many (ironically the 3 chord piss takers)
    To be fair @Voxman did say you can make it as long or as short as you want to.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    American Woman original version. Kravitz version only has 2 chords IIRC.
    Stooges I Wanna Be Your Dog - has a couple more but it's all power chords on the A string, just gotta remember the fret numbers.
    Voxman said:

're simple song suggestions how about 'Born to be wild' and Status Quo' Caroline and The Doors Roadhouse blues covered by quo and loads of others...very simple blues with loads of room to improvise and make it as long or short as you want and you can go from all out raunchy rocking to quiet bits etc...ie you can make it sound more than it is.  And in a similar vein, the Stones classic Jumping Jack Flash. All of these guaranteed to get your audience rocking! 
    I don't think Caroline's that easy, its a killer doing that rhythm for 3 minutes or so, Rick Parfitt was a machine and very underrated by the usual 3 chord pisstakers.
    Voxman said:

I don't think Caroline's that easy, its a killer doing that rhythm for 3 minutes or so, Rick Parfitt was a machine and very underrated by the usual 3 chord pisstakers.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    edited March 2019
    Gloria... Van Morrison is a good one, with an easy little flourishy bit halfway through 

https://youtu.be/7RI-QtEAwvE
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    House of the Rising Sun is a nice easy open chord song that's a classic and oft forgotten about.  

Black Sabath' s Paranoid ...great fun, easy to play and has only about 3 or 4 power chords. 

And Born in the USA...can't be more than 2 chords or so! Lol
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Territorial Pissings

• HippoPeteHippoPete Frets: 121
    Thanks again to you all that contributed, thought it might be of interest to see the final set list. There are some pretty cheesy selections in there but it's a good cause (Cancer Research UK) so I don't mind.

Chasing Cars 
    Dakota
    20th Century Boy
    Born to be wild 
    Cocaine
    Sweet Home Alabama 
    Summer of 69
    She Sells Sanctuary
    C’mon Everybody 
    Mony Mony
    Seven Nation Army 
    You Really got me 
    I’m a Believer
    Human
    Good Thing
    Tainted Love
    Jumpin Jack Flash 
    Satisfaction
    Honky Tonk Women
    I saw her standing there 
    Brown Eyed Girl
    Dance the night away 
    Get it on (Bang a Gong) 
    Mustang Sally
    Coz I love you
    Don’t Look Back in Anger 
    Hi Ho silver lining
    500 Miles
    They don't want your name, they just want your number.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom