Lucky poos req I guess - Mrs F has open heart surgery tomorrow

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    thankyou all for your kind words, most have been passed on (I may have left out some of the more fruity one, passing on a gist of the message). No more news today, still waiting another CT scan, which was hoped to happen today, but hadn't when i left at 5. I would imagine nothing will happen now till next week.
    In other news, if you're gonna be ill, Derriford us a pretty good one to be in, the views over Dartmoor from the ward day room are absolutely stunning, if you can forget why you are there, it's almost like a hotel.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    They cancelled my surgery after I'd been nil-by-mouth for a day (when the nurse approached me with a menu I thought something was up) and I had to come back a week later with an assurance that I would be first on the list.

You have to trust that they know what they are doing.

I saw my cardiologist yesterday and he said that everything was fine and they didn't need to see me again. That's six months and one week after surgery, I never thought that things could move so quickly. Here's to your wife receiving the same news in a similar timeframe, if not sooner.
    glad to hear that, last time she had cancer, the last meeting we had with her consultant was a great feeling.
    re the time scale, I likened it yesterday to the life of a guard on a vogon ship, the hours are pretty good but most of the actual minutes are pretty lousy. To date, the process has been really quick (tomorrow will be the 5th week since she 1st made a GP appt, so 5 weeks is, IMO, pretty damn quick to get where we are) but the waiting for individual tests just seems to drag on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    @VimFuego - wishing Mrs VimFuego and you all the very best.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4945
    Every good wish to you both.  Hope all goes well.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

well, seems no one likes you when you're down and out. Just been sacked by 2 clients when I informed them that my attendance would be patchy over the next few weeks. For context, I'm a gardener and it's still only early spring. Before she got ill mrs F and I were talking about moving anyways, we love our house and the garden and the area, but there are more than usual number of buttholes here. Now this really has sealed it for us. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    People who can afford gardeners are sometimes the 'posh living on credit' types who think they are better people. You are privalaged to know thier true colours now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Best wishes to you and Mrs Vim, surgeons are pretty much walking miracle workers IMHO.
    The rough patches in life are when people show their true colours, since I got made homeless I honestly got more help here than people I know in the "real world" Keeping yourself occupied will make it easier to bare when you are apart

small update, surgery was carried out thursday morning, surgical team and gas passer declared themselves happy. She's now moved from ICU to HDU, but yesterday was not a good day, she said this morning that if they had a check out button, she'd have pushed it, she was very distressed and uncomfortable, and the pain relief was making her ill. But this morning she was much happier, drains are out and she's just on paracetamol for pain relief, which she much prefers. She was awake when I got there, and waved at me from across the room, so real improvement. They're still having to support her medically for low BP, but the nurse was saying that she's on the lowest dose they can administer and she should be off it by tomorrow, so if there's a bed on the ward, she'll be moved there. 

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    @VimFuego - sounds unbelievably stressful - but also very hopeful. Hope things continue to improve for you both.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    Stressful indeed - you're a good man, Vim, and you'll be keeping her going. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Oh wow, that sounds like GREAT news!  Continuing good wishes to you both.  :)

• vizviz Frets: 10645
    Awesome news, man
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14032
    tFB Trader
    Hope progress continues, with as little discomfort as possible - Best wishes

• camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Good news! Hoping for a speed recovery for your wife and a shitload of better human beings as clients for you.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7082
    Thats good news fella. 

Hope you are both back up and running on all cylinders soon!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    Hope it is all going OK so far pal.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    I'm hoping for a fast recovery
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Great news Mike !

re: Buttholes - they're everywhere ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Good news. Onwards and upwards, mate.
    am in 2 minds about posting this, don't like the personal thing, but feel the need to vent.
    Just got back from attending a multi disciplinary consultation. Turns out the tumour on mrs f's small intestine is a recurrence of the ovarian cancer she had 12 years ago, so this has now become a gynae issue, but the gastro intestinal team are still involved as they will be doing the treatment.
    Seems the only solution is surgery, but because of the size and location of the tumour the surgery is risky and carries a not insignificant chance of complications, both during surgery and post surgical. There's is also a chance that when they open her up they realise that there's nothing they can do. The tumour itself is pressing on the vena cava, and eventually it will compress it completely, this will lead to death. The consultant said it would not be a pleasant death, however he couldn't place a timeline on it, could be 10 years, could 1 month. Normally, they would medically reduce the size of the tumour, however the type of cancer she had/has does not respond to chemo-therapy, so there is no way to medically treat this. It also seems now that the cancer has spread to a lymph node/gland (not sure what they said, nymph something anyways).
    Normally when you talk to medical types, they are very confident, but the consultant was a great pains to point out how complex and possibly risky the operation is, so it's clearly very serious. In fact we knew it was serious when they went round the room and all the medico's involved were heads of department.
    So yeah, today sucks a bit.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom