Anyone use vocal harmonizer for bv?

What's Hot
funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
Just wondering if anyone has real life experience of using such things to add some more voices to a backing vocal live? Not necessarily to actually harmonise (as ill actually be singing the harmony) but more to give the sound a more 'def leppard' type sound. I can see its pretty common for the pedals to have unison and octave high type harmonies to thicken out the sound. 

Any thought anyone? Is it just going to sound bad? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    A bass player I gig with has a TC Helicon unit (I forget the model). I run a cable from my tuner out to give it a signal from which it cleverly determines the key.

It can be easy to go over the top with it and it can sound a bit artificial, but if used carefully it can really add something. We're a one guitar (plus bass and drums) band so any extra layers like that are a bonus.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    A bass player I gig with has a TC Helicon unit (I forget the model). I run a cable from my tuner out to give it a signal from which it cleverly determines the key.

It can be easy to go over the top with it and it can sound a bit artificial, but if used carefully it can really add something. We're a one guitar (plus bass and drums) band so any extra layers like that are a bonus.

That sounds pretty much how I'd want to be using one! I guess he doesn't use it directly with bass as it won't have enough sound to determine the tonality of the chords?

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 275
    The vocalist in my band uses a TC Helicon Voice Live, which his rhythm guitar signal is fed through. He uses various vocal effects which he has set up patches for, including harmonies which work well in a covers band.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I have a friend that sings with a 3 piece, Bass, Drums, & his guitar. Bass player does harmonies but guitarist has a harmoniser too. It fills the sound very well if used judiciously. They are very experienced and do working mens clubs etc. from memory its a TC pedal and I was impressed especially for the money.
    Like any effect it can get boring if overused, I would imagine a solo singer getting very 'samey' if thats what they used extensively.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    funkyfraz said:
     sounds pretty much how I'd want to be using one! I guess he doesn't use it directly with bass as it won't have enough sound to determine the tonality of the chords?

That's it. He used it in a previous band and always took the feed from the guitarist instead of his bass, so when he joined my lot he suggested I did the same.

Big black unit with round buttons, possibly a "voicelive" unit of some sort.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    TC VoiceLive 2 for me.  I take a DI feed from my Kemper (i.e. clean) for pitch and I use MIDI channel change messages to select patches from the Kemper / floor controller.  Gives me harmonies for the backing but also allows me to change level for the one song where I sing lead.  Fantastic for when we play 'Another Brick in the Wall'.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Our singer does his own harmonies on some songs. I’m not sure whether he use a harmoniser or record/playback.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1666
    I use the TC-HELICON PERFORM-VG for vocal effects (reverb, echo), and also harmony. I mainly use the harmony to give depth to oohs or aah, which works well. It can be a bit over the top with harmonies on normal vocals, although it works well for some songs. Added bonus - it does pitch correction as well.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Roland said:
    Our singer does his own harmonies on some songs. I’m not sure whether he use a harmoniser or record/playback.
    He does both. Normally it’s 3rd harmonies, whilst the bassist does the 5th. For Billy Joel’s Uptown Girl he records the chorus part as he sings it, and then sings harmony against the replay.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Be subtle - I know a folkie who uses one very badly and too loudly, sounds like a choir when he taps it.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback