Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    you better make your mind up quick cos the value of second hand cars is going through the roof right now in light of:

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Additionally, reliability is important, but equally the cost of replacement parts (even non OEM).  I don't want to be under the bloody thing every weekend.  For that reason, I'm looking for full service history - ideally from a main dealer.  Mileage is less of a concern if it's had regular main dealer services.
    If you've had experience of having your car 'serviced' by a main dealer and then found things they claimed to have done but actually didn't, you wouldn't think that was so desirable.

The worst one I've come across is my wife's Suzuki (one previous owner) which was always main-dealer serviced from new, although we actually bought it from an independent dealer. We recently had a problem with brake fade... when my trusted independent mechanic looked at it he reckons the brake fluid had *never* been changed, despite it having been through at least one and probably two services where that should have been done.

Slightly less serious, my daughter had her Kia serviced at the Kia main dealer recently (necessary to keep the 7-year warranty valid), and when it came back they had ticked a box marked "all wheels removed, inspected, refitted and re-torqued". No they didn't... or not unless they could have replaced the cable ties I fitted to hold the wheel trims on with identically old and dirty ones! So what else didn't they do, that they ticked?

Speaking from experience of having bought about half a dozen cars from small independent dealers over the last 20 or so years, and a couple from main dealers... main dealers are utter cowboys. Stay away, and go to a small independent with a good reputation - they're not all crooks, check online reviews - and who offers a warranty that you *don't* pay extra for to a third-party company, they're usually not worth the paper they're printed on either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • buy privately from a middle aged + family man,  15 year old car with 10 months MOT left and service history, pay about £500. probably never have to do anything until the next MOT, and keep until something fails, then scrap it for £150 and repeat.
    in the past i have owned brand new and nearly new and tbh unles you are image concious about it, this is the most economical way to go, no monthly charges or expensive servicing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31369
    buy privately from a middle aged + family man,  15 year old car with 10 months MOT left and service history, pay about £500. probably never have to do anything until the next MOT, and keep until something fails, then scrap it for £150 and repeat.
    in the past i have owned brand new and nearly new and tbh unles you are image concious about it, this is the most economical way to go, no monthly charges or expensive servicing.
    This is what I do. Contrary to the belief of most company car types, 15 year old cars are no less reliable than new ones these days, but it's safest to buy something reasonably big and unstressed if you go that route. 

My last Volvo but one is still going strong in the hands of my bass player, who I sold it to for a hundred quid four years ago after I fancied a change. I'd only paid 250 a couple of years before that. If he is unlucky enough to get an expensive fault he can just walk away. 

Unless you get a new job which requires a massive commute, don't waste multiple thousands on simple transport, there's simply no need these days. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Renault Wind.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    You haven’t owned a car since the late 80’s so I’m guessing that’s the last time you serviced a car yourself as rest was done by lease company?

apart from brakes and tyres I think you’ll have a hard time adapting to the world of plastic covers and diagnostic plugs. 
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I’d look at a Skoda from the past few years. Reliability and refinement. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    I’d look at a Skoda from the past few years. Reliability and refinement. 
    Chuck Honda and Mitsubishi into the hat too. 
    The older Honda Civic diesels where chain driven , decent mpg and quick-ish. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Another vote for Japanese. Parts are more expensive IF you have to buy any. Also skoda, they are tried and tested VW technology but have better reliability than their parent co overall.
    My Octavia estate did 56 to the gallon and had a huge boot.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    ESBlonde said:
    Another vote for Japanese. Parts are more expensive IF you have to buy any.
    Suzuki seem cheaper, both for parts and for used values in general, than the other Japanese companies - I don't know why. We've been extremely happy with both the ones we've had (main-dealer 'service' issues aside) and I'd happily buy another.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26463
    Get an old Mondeo ST220 or similar. Plenty practical, but ludicrous fun too and usually in the £1.5-2k range.
    <space for hire>
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    Get an old Mondeo ST220 or similar. Plenty practical, but ludicrous fun too and usually in the £1.5-2k range.
    I was going to suggest a Mondeo - they go for (comparative) buttons.  They are also absolutely bloody massive though, at least the more recent ones are. 

If my friend’s car is anything to go by, they’re also indestructible - that one of his was treated with utter contempt and just soldiered on with 150,000 showing on the clock. 

Hope the job scene is looking up for you Emp!
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    57Deluxe said:
    you better make your mind up quick cos the value of second hand cars is going through the roof right now in light of:

What's this about then? @57Deluxe ;
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11814
    edited March 2019
    Simon_M said:
    57Deluxe said:

What's this about then? @57Deluxe ;;;
    The EU and the UK is planning to implement a speed limiter to all cars from 2022.  Basically all cars will have GPS built in and it will know the speed limit for that particular road and if you are speeding, it will alert you to remind you to slow down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

So…get a big V8 now and put it in a garage, it will be worth a lot more in 10 years !
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    octatonic said:
    Honda Civic.
    This.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    Any love for the Hyundai i30 ?  I was quite impressed when I had one as a hire car once.  Honest John's site doesn't ring any alarm bells for build quality or commin faults.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11814
    Emp_Fab said:
    Any love for the Hyundai i30 ?  I was quite impressed when I had one as a hire car once.  Honest John's site doesn't ring any alarm bells for build quality or commin faults.
    Solid car, colleague at work has one, good value for money.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Emp_Fab said:
    Brother has had one for a few year and loves it.  His has lots of bells and whistles and its a nice car.

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1172
    Emp_Fab said:
    My daughter's had one for 18 months or so now.  No problems with it and excellent value for money.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    I’ve now got my sights on the Hyundai i40 estate.  Trouble is, finding one in my budget (say £5K) that hasn’t got 150000 on the clock AND is near enough to me.

I’ve found a few that look decent but are in far-flung locations, so I’ve thought of a plan...  Find one, pay for one of these “dial a mechanic” type inspections and, if the report is good then catch a train to wherever it is and drive it back.  Worst case scenario is I’ve lost the inspection fee and a train ticket.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.