I only popped in for a set of strings

What's Hot
WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
edited April 2019 in Acoustics
I recently bought a 2017 J35 Collectors Edition which I love, mint condition and especially appealing to me as a finger style player (classical player) was the wider 1.77in nut.It has an Adi top and sounds fantastic. Anyway, I went into Guitarguitar in Birmingham today to get some new strings for it. As is customary, you've just got to have a look around. A young lad (Ryan)who had said hello as I walked in followed me to the high end acoustic section.Without asking me he grabbed a J45 off the wall and said "try this". He went on to explain that he's played many J45''s but this one just happened to be really special.And yes it was.It was interesting to compare against the guitar I have been accustomed to playing for the last few days, my J35, very similar. Before I knew it ,he'd pulled off the wall 2 Martins (OM and and OO) a Waterloo wl x14, a Gibson OO vintage (think it was ,it was about 3.8k).I tried to explain that I had only come in for a set of strings but we were chatting away and still the guitars kept coming. Then boom!! He handed me a Lowden S23 walnut/cedar. I was blown away. So easy to play, stunning build and finish but with such a sweet tone, projection ,sustain.It had it all. He still carried on ,throwing more Lowdens at me,one costing over 6k. No, I had played the one.Why am I telling you all this? I think there's something wrong with me.I have been trying to find that elusive 'lifetime' guitar for a few months now.I have tried many makes, Atkin, Brook,Eastman, Martin, Gibson but never considered Lowden. What an eye opener (like the prices).I'm now in that uncomfortable position of thinking the grass is greener.Why didn't I consider Lowdens before? If I go for one ,will I want something else soon after?I know I have GAS but mine is a bad case OR have I found the one? Is GAS curable? I've loved many of the guitars I have tried but nothing has come close to the feeling I got today. Btw ,absolutely no hard sell in the shop, great friendly team in there and a huge selection of acoustics.Please somebody ,tell me it's not just me that has struggled to find that elusive guitar and that contentment can be found!! 
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
    Oh, and I bought some strings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Go back and buy it, :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sweepy said:
    I'm busy weighing up the financial implications!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    You should try Avalons, which are more than similar, since they are made by the team who used to build Lowdens, and are often cheaper second hand
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    financial implications are very straight forward...you give a pile of wedge to shop, they give you great guitar...you work to recoup funds...rinse and repeat,  tis the life of the FB
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    You should try Avalons, which are more than similar, since they are made by the team who used to build Lowdens, and are often cheaper second hand
    I didn't know that.Thanks for the heads up.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    sweepy said:
    See if they’ll take the strings back as a trade-in since you won’t need them anymore. That ought to make all the difference to the cost. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 52
    Please post a picture of Ryan so I can run if I see him coming. 

Cedar can really surprise if you're used to adi, especially fingerstyle.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    The Avalon guitars used to be called the Lowden guitar company, the workshop built 15,000 Lowden guitars from 1989 to 2003, i.e. the period over which the reputation was built
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_Guitars

George split from them and set up a new workshop after their joint agreement came unstuck 

They are still in business (wikipedia has not been updated), they restarted soon after
    You'll find some for sale on this forum

MikeP said:
    Please post a picture of Ryan so I can run if I see him coming. 

Cedar can really surprise if you're used to adi, especially fingerstyle.
    LOL, Ryan is either a brilliant stealth salesman or just just as I prefer to think, a young man ,full of enthusiasm ,keen to show me stuff, talk about his band, and if you like, not believe his luck he's working in a candy store.In my eyes, an asset to the company. In a past life I went on a guitar building course with Pablo Requena  and made a classical guitar with cedar top and BRW back and sides ( see my avatar).Common perceived wisdom is that cedar doesn't take as long to 'open up' and I agree.The guitar I tried today was a combination of exceptional features and something I was unprepared for.So responsive. Urrgh,I want to hate it ! 

The Avalon guitars used to be called the Lowden guitar company, the workshop built 15,000 Lowden guitars from 1989 to 2003, i.e. the period over which the reputation was built
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_Guitars

George split from them and set up a new workshop after their joint agreement came unstuck 

They are still in business (wikipedia has not been updated), they restarted soon after
    You'll find some for sale on this forum
    Hi ,thanks for that, after I saw your first post I Googled them and looked at their website. I'm not sure whether that muddied the waters for me.Their  prices are more competitive and they do a huge range of styles, tone woods and appointments etc.I need to rein myself in.I'm going to enjoy my Gibson for as long as I can resist temptation! Will my journey ever end I ask myself.Again. =) 
    mart said:
    sweepy said:
    See if they’ll take the strings back as a trade-in since you won’t need them anymore. That ought to make all the difference to the cost. ;)
    Oh dear, that's made me laugh, brilliant.
    mart said:
    sweepy said:
    Oh dear, that's made me laugh, brilliant.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    This happened to me in 2003. I was handed a OM18V to play and after I left the shop I couldn't stop thinking about it and had to buy it. For this reason for years after I tried to avoid playing any more high end guitars. Santa Cruz, Bourgeois etc.

BTW - Mcilroy guitars are also similar to Lowdens.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    What a pity you are not left-handed, Warblington (see my LH Lowden F23C on LH Classifieds)
    GTC said:
    What a pity you are not left-handed, Warblington (see my LH Lowden F23C on LH Classifieds)

The one I tried was a cutaway.GLWTS

This happened to me in 2003. I was handed a OM18V to play and after I left the shop I couldn't stop thinking about it and had to buy it. For this reason for years after I tried to avoid playing any more high end guitars. Santa Cruz, Bourgeois etc.

BTW - Mcilroy guitars are also similar to Lowdens.
    I checked out the Mcilroy site. George Lowden has certainly inspired a number of makers.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    GTC said:

Mine's a cutaway too (the "C" after F23) - but a size up from the "S" model you tried (and left-handed)

I'd call my strain of the disease GES ("Guitar Experience Syndrome") as it is more about getting to know  instruments over  period of months in a way you cannot from guitar shop trials - and then passing the guitars on to someone else to experience too. The cost of each experience comes from the loss I usually make selling it on - and, compared from other things you could throw the money at, I think it is usually money well spent).

Lowdens are superb guitars - but I've got a custom hand-made fan fret acoustic coming shortly (made by Glastonbury-based luthier Alan Miller) and a custom Brook Torridge due later this year.

Thanks for your wishes for my current sale - and good luck with your search
    GTC said:
    GTC said:

Mine's a cutaway too (the "C" after F23) - but a size up from the "S" model you tried (and left-handed)

I'd call my strain of the disease GES ("Guitar Experience Syndrome") as it is more about getting to know  instruments over  period of months in a way you cannot from guitar shop trials - and then passing the guitars on to someone else to experience too. The cost of each experience comes from the loss I usually make selling it on - and, compared from other things you could throw the money at, I think it is usually money well spent).

Lowdens are superb guitars - but I've got a custom hand-made fan fret acoustic coming shortly (made by Glastonbury-based luthier Alan Miller) and a custom Brook Torridge due later this year.

Thanks for your wishes for my current sale - and good luck with your search

I tried the F model but preferred the S size. I am more familiar with the dimensions coming from a classical guitar playing past.Good luck with your new arrivals..enjoy.
  • myrmanmyrman Frets: 68

I totally agree. Excellent guitars as are Lowdens.

There is a lovely cutaway in the classifieds btw ;-)

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/142871/fs-avalon-a320c-custom#latest