Boss RV-500 or Big Sky?

Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
edited March 2019 in FX
Looking for a decent all rounder and was a big fan of the Big Sky. I'm still of the opinion that the WET and Flint, and even some of the new Kemper reverbs are nicer sounding...so it got me thinking of a reverb pedal that offers the same sort of options that the Kemper does, to tone shape like the Kemper and potentially match the nuances of the WET and low end of the Flint...which I was never able to truly do with the Big Sky, but have got close with the Kemper ..due to the advanced set of parameters available.

Enter the RV-500...I've been impressed by the demo's but am interested in people's thoughts on real life sounds/use/ownership. Cheers.
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Out of those two... Big Sky. But if it was me, I'd get two pedals. An RV-5 and a MXR Reverb are a great pair.

Bye!

• Out of those two... Big Sky. But if it was me, I'd get two pedals. An RV-5 and a MXR Reverb are a great pair.
    What put you off the RV-500? 

• Big Sky. The plate reverb is tremendous and Cloud is gorgeous. Agree with @WiresDreamDisasters on the MXR, though.

Have you tried the Ventris?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    Big Sky by far, imho...

Never rated any Boss verb personally 
  • :-)

Appreciate the sentiments, gentlemen. As good as the Big Sky is, I'm yet to hear any strong arguments against the Boss. Has anyone had any good experience of it?

• WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited March 2019
    :-)

Appreciate the sentiments, gentlemen. As good as the Big Sky is, I'm yet to hear any strong arguments against the Boss. Has anyone had any good experience of it?
    Yep, it's a great pedal. But I struggle a bit to get those huge ambient reverbs out of it. For the basic stuff it's great. Has a built in delay too. You can also run two patches at once.

Bye!

• Thanks @WiresDreamDisasters, that makes sense!

You Strymon boys will be pleased to know that thanks to the incredibly well balanced views and carefully articulated arguments on this forum, I've acquired myself a Big Sky. ;-)

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Thanks @WiresDreamDisasters, that makes sense!

You Strymon boys will be pleased to know that thanks to the incredibly well balanced views and carefully articulated arguments on this forum, I've acquired myself a Big Sky. ;-)
    You won’t regret it. I bought Drew’s Big Sky off him, it’s a superb pedal. That cloud patch is just sonic bliss. 
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1428
    You should try the Specular Tempus, there are some spectacular sounds in there
  • @Jonathanthomas83 ;
    I'm selling my RV500 now if you're interested.

Bye!

• @Jonathanthomas83 ;
    I'm selling my RV500 now if you're interested.
    I'm good now thanks mate, I'm using the Kemper and the Big Sky. Though, not using the BigSky as much as I thought I would.

That said, I've bought a Mesa (http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/153674/incoming-mesa-dual-rec-roadster) and am really keen on hearing people's thoughts on the new Seymour Duncan Black Sun...which could be my new delay/reverb for that amp. Have you seen it mate, looks good!

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Big Sky by far, imho...

Never rated any Boss verb personally 
    Me neither. Love the delays, but the verbs always sound over processed and a bit “on top”
    of the sound. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    I so wish that I could replace the Big Sky.... its big, unwieldy, and takes up a lot of space and cost on my small board...

However, nothing sounds like it imho.

There are 3 standard settings... ‘versatile’, ‘warmth’ and ‘swell’ which are worth it for the price alone.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Considering the respect that Devin gets on here I'm surprised I don't hear anything about the ocean machine.

Anyone tried one?
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    The Ocean Machine interested me. Thought it was a great idea and well thought out with a load of options. Never tried one given the Helix and a few pedals I kept more than do the job for me
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    Big sky definitely out of those two. 
  • Common theme on this thread to specify preference without specifying reason and if they've actually tried both.

I've got a Big Sky now, but am absolutely sure it's not as clean cut a choice as this thread makes out.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have had both. I still have the Big Sky as it's far more versatile and sounds great. That said the Boss sounds good and is easier to use. It depends on the music you play. I'm into soundscapes and post rock and don't gig so the size of the Big Sky doesn't worry me.

Curved ball time: I just bought a Neunaber Immerse MkII Reverberator pedal - it's easy to use, has a small footprint and sounds amazing. Worth checking out. I haven't switched my Big Sky on since I bought it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    edited April 2019
    Common theme on this thread to specify preference without specifying reason and if they've actually tried both.

I've got a Big Sky now, but am absolutely sure it's not as clean cut a choice as this thread makes out.
    Okay. I’ve had both. The Boss didn’t do the Shimmer thing as well, it doesn’t have the Cloud setting and it felt like the verbs were more artificial sounding. It’s fine and of course you can get amazing sounds from it, but if you’ve had those Strymon sounds I think the big Boss pedals pale in comparison to the big Strymon boxes. 

Also there was a sense of option paralysis for me. The tweaking and sub options just went on and on. 

The Boss are cheaper though and again, if I had to live with it forever I’m sure I could get stuff I liked a lot out of it. I just preferred the Strymon. 

I have a Chase Bliss Dark World now.