Patrick James Eggle Acoustics

What's Hot
Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 491
Anyone here own one of them? 

I like the 2 I've tried but I cant decide whether I'm comfortable investing in that brand. Hasn't he stopped doing them now? The guitars were quality for sure but I've been burned investing in British quality when owning a JJ and the early Berlin's depreciated heavily did they not despite being technically great guitars?

What do you guys think?

Cheers 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Yup, he no longer builds them.

If you like his design sensibilities but don't wanna pay crazy money then Faith Guitars are worth checking out. There are some pretty stellar models in that lineup.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 491
    edited April 2019
    Cool thanks. Yep I've looked at Faith but I already have 2 nice Chinese made acoustics and I'm looking to push the boat out a little bit on a bit of cork sniffing. Was thinking Collings/Gibson but then a Kanuga and Skyland caught my eye. They really sounded fantastic so piqued my interest. 1.8-2k potentially depending on what I'll be recouping in sales.
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1340
    If you're concerned about the 'investment' i.e. not getting burned, then steer clear and buy something you know you won't get burned on :)

There's a lot of choice and many brands that are readily available used, are fantastic instruments and, if you buy sensibly, you can own for nothing when (if) you come to move on.

If you've got your heart set on something like this there's always going to be a greater risk that you can't move it on if it doesn't work out or you may have to take a hit on.
    If I really wanted a British-made acoustic I think I'd go Atkin, personally... but that's just me. I totally get the cork-sniffery. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18384
    edited April 2019
    Tried the Faith's, nice tone & very good value, but they'll never be an 'investment'. Very few guitars are, at best they are all speculations. Buy what your ears & your heart tell you is 'best'. After all, you will never be stuck for something better soon    Fylde do fantastic instruments and so does Nigel Forster (NK Forster).Sorry, missed the £2k ceiling.  Wishing you luck in getting sorted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    There's a Kanuga on eBay for £1700.00 at the moment. I definitely wouldn't go north of 2k for a used one, if I was spending over 2k for a used acoustic I'd be looking at Bourgeois.
    If you're concerned about the 'investment' i.e. not getting burned, then steer clear and buy something you know you won't get burned on :)

There's a lot of choice and many brands that are readily available used, are fantastic instruments and, if you buy sensibly, you can own for nothing when (if) you come to move on.

If you've got your heart set on something like this there's always going to be a greater risk that you can't move it on if it doesn't work out or you may have to take a hit on.
    Its not about seeking profit in that sense of the word investment, I just don't want to lose 5-600 on a used guitar the minute I buy it. Paying close to what they're generally worth is a fairly important part of the buying decision for me as I know tastes change and there are always reasons for having to sell. Like the JJ/Eggle electrics they're pretty rare and niche so whilst I really like it, I can't put a 'safe' value on it to work from. Make sense?
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    Whitecat said:
    If I really wanted a British-made acoustic I think I'd go Atkin, personally... but that's just me. I totally get the cork-sniffery. :)
    Atkin guitars are lovely. So are Brook (I own a Taw). I'd suspect the value of a new Atkin or Brook will drop by a few hundred the day after you buy one, but the resale value will stay strong forever if you look after it and don't gig it to destruction. 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    +1 for Atkin. Never tried a brook but very highly regarded. I'd probably buy a used Atkin over a PJE.
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    +1 for Brook
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    I have a Brook and it is incredible.... I’d have an Eggle acoustic in a heartbeat. I have several of his new style electrics and wouldn’t be surprised if the acoustics were as good as the electrics. They have become my favourite instruments.

buy the Eggle, if not..... please tell me where it is and I’ll buy it. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1340
    Fifty9 said:

Its not about seeking profit in that sense of the word investment, I just don't want to lose 5-600 on a used guitar the minute I buy it. Paying close to what they're generally worth is a fairly important part of the buying decision for me as I know tastes change and there are always reasons for having to sell. Like the JJ/Eggle electrics they're pretty rare and niche so whilst I really like it, I can't put a 'safe' value on it to work from. Make sense?
    I’m not disagreeing at all - I’m just suggesting of you want to avoid the potential for taking hit there are safer bets.

I’ve bought loads of stuff I would struggle to move on but it’s what I wanted. I can certainly live with that and if you can then fill your boots!

Si
    Fifty9 said:

I’m not disagreeing at all - I’m just suggesting of you want to avoid the potential for taking hit there are safer bets.

I’ve bought loads of stuff I would struggle to move on but it’s what I wanted. I can certainly live with that and if you can then fill your boots!

Si
    For sure and I know where you're coming from and partially accepting of a bit of a hit on it. I'm primarily an electric player and high end acoustics is all new to me so am wary of diving heavily into niche models/brands.

It was a really lovely guitar tho. Will see how it pans out. Thanks all
  • I tend to buy guitars not to move on, I would suggest that Eggle is, at this moment in time, a safer bet than buying an Atkin. Ten years on that may change for Atkin, but in my opinion there work is not as well known as say Fylde Manson Kincade Moon andEggle when listing UK luthiers.

FWIW my next acoustic to take the weight off my Fylde which I’ve been hammering for the last 15 years is more than likely to be a Moon.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Thanks @maltingsaudio. Appreciated. Why would you say Eggle above Atken?
  • Fifty9 said:
    Thanks @maltingsaudio. Appreciated. Why would you say Eggle above Atken?
    Because Eggle has been around a lot longer and has a broader reputation
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    Just a note which I think is important to consider and speaks about the quality and stability of the instruments @Fifty9, check out the players list on Alister's page http://atkinguitars.com/story/players/

Irrespective of what you decide on, I'd suggest seeking out the different options you are considering in this price range and actually playing them. None of those mentioned, Brook, Atkin, PJE, Moon are likely to disappoint and whats probably going to sway you in one direction or another will be feel tone and look. Keep an eye on what the used market ones go for and you'll have a good benchmark - check facebook groups as well.
    Peach just listed a secondhand Atkin Forty Seven... just in case you wanted to check it out!
    Cheers. A quick google has andertons with a choice of 2 brand new ones at just 400 more! I presume that means the peach price is 'a bit toppy' at 85% of the cost of a brand new one? Or do high end acoustics just not depreciate much from new?
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    Fifty9 said:
    Cheers. A quick google has andertons with a choice of 2 brand new ones at just 400 more! I presume that means the peach price is 'a bit toppy' at 85% of the cost of a brand new one? Or do high end acoustics just not depreciate much from new?
    Can't speak for other makes, but a hand-built, made-in-Kent (Atkin) or Devon (Brook) guitar seems to follow this trend. I don't think Peach is out of step with others here. Haven't been to the Atkin workshop, but the Brook workshop is definitely NOT a factory.  Which doesn't mean that either is the right maker for you. You have to play one for yourself.